First Husky and New Member

Murphy

Hello All! I got my first Husky in March and he is now 7 months old and weighs around 45 pounds. Since i have gotten him i have yet to be able to fully potty train him. For some reason he is always eating underwear and peeing on the carpet and on my bed. He is very good and quick with his commands, he know sit, stay, lay down and paw. Does anyone have any advice or help to get Murphy potty trained?

Thanks!

12 weeks old

post-2224-13586081302903_thumb.jpg

7 months old

post-2224-13586081303412_thumb.jpg

post-5587-13585978820239_thumb.jpg

post-5587-13585978845314_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off :welcome5:

To Husky-Owners the BEST Husky Forum in the WORLD !!!

Glad you found us.

Ok Murphy Peeing on your bed is him covering YOUR scent with his.

It's a form of him trying to be dominant over you.

Probably the same with the carpets.

Does he give you any indication that he needs to go out for a wee.

Does he poo in the house too or just wee ??

Hi and :welcome:!

Is he neutered? Marking tends to be a problem at that age, particularly with un-neutered males - they're teenagers, and feeling like they're pretty cool, a lot of times! Neutering (if he isn't) can help, and usually will, although there are exceptions. Peeing on the bed sounds like marking behavior.

Is he crate trained? If so, go back to square one in house training, and use the crate! Not only will this help/solve the house training problem, it will also help keep him from eating underwear! Eating cloth items like that can really mess up a dogs intestinal tract, causing an obstruction - or if the material shreds, sometimes getting tangled through out the gut and causing worse damage than just an obstruction would (which is bad enough) - either can cause death.:eek:

Welcome Murphy! We have loads of threads on potty training. May I recommend you browse through the training and behavior section? It's at http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/forums/training-behaviour.38/

For a short version, you need to develop a schedule for your household and help Murphy break the patterns he has developed regarding eliminating in the house.

Again, welcome and feel free to post any questions or concerns you may have.

Firstly, :welcome5:, Murphy is a cutie!!!

Huskies are very strong minded so it takes alot to train them. I've heard somewhere that eating items of clothing is because your dog misses you and is seeking out anything with your scent on it. They'll also go for your cushion on the sofa or your pillow on the bed, anywhere that smells heavily of you. Peeing on the bed could be a sign of him trying to assert his dominance, marking the "territory" as his own.

I'm only learning myself though so I'm just letting you know what I've heard and/or red.

Best of luck, he's a gorgeous boy!!

He mostly just pee's in the house but he never gives any indication that he needs to go out or that he needs to pee. our other dog is good about letting us know but usually when we cant find him or when he's really quiet we always know that he has done something somewhere, and most of the time he has. its like one minute he is playing around with us and then you turn your head and he starts peeing as he runs away. He is fully crate trained but when we leave him in there and leave the room he cries like he is dying or something. its a heart breaking sound.

Welcome to the forum. Have to underscore what Sutsibe posted. If he's intact yet, it's going to be an issue for some time. Be consistent, take him out more than normal to do his business. But consider getting him neutered if not already. We've got a male Aussie mix in the pack, and he is neutered, and he is very good about going outside.

Just Like Children, some take to potty training like a charm, others take longer to learn.

Same here,

I do think he's challenging you though with the doing it in front of you.

If he NEEDED to go he would give you some indication. Just like a willful child

will do something naughty.

Good questions, and the answers are .....

when we catch him we tell him, "no, bad boy" then we go outside with him incase he needs to do anything else. when we found the puddle we called him over to it, pointed at it and say, "Murphy did you do this?, bad boy" then take him outside

when we catch him we tell him, "no, bad boy" then we go outside with him incase he needs to do anything else. when we found the puddle we called him over to it, pointed at it and say, "Murphy did you do this?, bad boy" then take him outside

But the really operative question was what have you done to toilet train him?

If you haen't, you need to take him out every time after he eats and when he's been drinking - he needs to learn that outside is the place. You also need to take him out when you first get up (I think that's a natural for any mammal!), before you go to bed, anytime you think his behaviour diverges from the "norm", he may be trying to tell you something that you don't recognize ... and I think it goes without saying - stay out with him until he does something, then praise that behaviour.

Huskies are real quick to snap to what they should do, they're also real quick to see what they can get away with ...

I'm inclined to think that you have more problems than just potty training going on ...

ok right well - instead of saying no to him i would give him a firm 'outside' command and take him out - i wouldnt tell him off for having an accident if you havent spotted him doing it - he will have no idea what ur telling him off for

what are you doing to toilet train him - how long can he hold his bladder before he goes? you want to try n take him outside - every hour or so and straight after sleeping, eating, drinking, and playing - and LOTS of praise when he does pee/poop outside - if you have a house line on him you can take him out onto one spot in the garden and the more he goes on that one spot the more it will have his scent n soon he will just learn thats where he needs to go - makes cleaning up easier too :)

hope this helps

ok right well - instead of saying no to him i would give him a firm 'outside' command and take him out - i wouldnt tell him off for having an accident if you havent spotted him doing it - he will have no idea what ur telling him off for

what are you doing to toilet train him - how long can he hold his bladder before he goes? you want to try n take him outside - every hour or so and straight after sleeping, eating, drinking, and playing - and LOTS of praise when he does pee/poop outside - if you have a house line on him you can take him out onto one spot in the garden and the more he goes on that one spot the more it will have his scent n soon he will just learn thats where he needs to go - makes cleaning up easier too :)

hope this helps

Thank you for the good pointers, i really appreciate it :) now that i think about it its more around the time he is finished playing with our other dog. For toilet training him, every 30-45mins or some i ask him if he has to go outside, if he runs to the door we go out, otherwise i wait another 30 mins or so and ask again. When he does anything outside i always praise him. Now i know that after he plays he needs to go out right after. i think this will def cut down on the amount of accidents in the house. ill start that out tonight, thanks so much!!;)

Hi and Welcome :D

Kita is similar to this in that she seems to think that if she really does need to go, the backroom is the place if its available, shes not great at letting us know, But she does know that outside is the place really, I think it may be one of those time things. Or maybe they can smell the pee or poo and figure thats where you go.

I'm not sure.

Hello All! I got my first Husky in March and he is now 7 months old and weighs around 45 pounds. Since i have gotten him i have yet to be able to fully potty train him. For some reason he is always eating underwear and peeing on the carpet and on my bed. He is very good and quick with his commands, he know sit, stay, lay down and paw. Does anyone have any advice or help to get Murphy potty trained?

Thanks!

12 weeks old

[ATTACH=full]15994[/ATTACH]

7 months old

[ATTACH=full]15995[/ATTACH]

HI AND WELCOME, MURPHY!! :welcome: to the pack! Yes, what worked best for us(we have a pup who is now 7 months old as well) was, after eating or drinking, wait 20 minutes, and watch them, it may be a little longer or shorter depending on age, then take them out, and if they have an accident(droppings) take it to the "spot" where they go-they all like to have their spot to go, and put it there-it reinforces that that is where they are supposed to go. Thats all there is to it! Take them there after they've had their 20 min or so and they will go to their spot

+1 for crate training.

Might I also add that while we were still having potty problems with Sacha we never, ever, let her out of our sight. She was on a lead attached to us with our full attention (yes, it was quite burdensome) or she was in her crate. When I say with our full attention I don't mean we were on the computer with the lead attached to the chair leg, I mean we were engaged in some sort of contact with her. We also had a couple crates in the house and when we needed to do something without her she went into the nearest crate. A yummie treat made entering the crate less of an ordeal and sped up learning the "kennel up" command. We have since cut that back to the occasional treat. Like Murphy, Sacha used to just scream like crazy after we left the room while she was in her crate. That went on for a couple months and has all but stopped. A favorite raw hide helps to keep her busy longer.

:welcome::lovebone:

hello and welcome:D

you've been given some great advise and tips already

hope Murphy improves soon....with absolute consistancy he will,

we trained using a key-word....ours was ''wee wee's'' after every eat/sleep and play.

now we only have to say that word and they all go to the door:)