U.K Laws and Dogs. From the U.K.Gov website. (LONG)

Andy

Ok we have had many members complaining about Offlead dogs and fouling and quoting various bits of Law, some correct others a mishmash of hearsay and wishful thinking.

So here it is from the horses (government :)) mouth.

Current legistlation regarding Dogs in the U.K.

I have included the link to the website for each section

1. Control of Dogs

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/Dogs/DG_180008

Controlling your dog in public

dg_4001037.jpg

It is your responsibility to make sure your dog behaves in public. You should also make yourself aware of any local Dog Control Orders. If you need help with training, you can contact a local dog trainer through your phone book or online.

Out of control dogs

It is an offence to allow a dog of any type or breed to be dangerously out of control:

• in a public place - like a street, park, bus shelter or the common parts of a block of flats (like the entrance or stairs)

• in a private place where the dog isn't allowed to be

Public areas also include fields, footpaths and beaches.

What is 'out of control'?

Your dog is dangerously out of control if it:

• injures a person, or

• behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them - even if it's the dog owner's own home or garden.

If you use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with 'malicious wounding'. The maximum penalty for this is five years in prison.

Other people's animals

A court could judge that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

• it injures another person's animal

• the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

Fines

Anyone can report a dog and their owner to the police.

If you are found guilty of having a dog that's out of control you may face a fine of up to £1000 and/or imprisonment. You may also not be allowed to own a dog in the future.

The law about out of control dogs is covered in section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Dog Control Orders

Local authorities in England and Wales have the power to issue Dog Control Orders. This means that in certain public areas, one (or more) of the rules below could apply:

• keeping your dog on a lead

• putting your dog on a lead when told to by the police, a police community support officer or someone authorised by the council

• not letting your dog go onto land that they should not - such as farmland

• limiting the number of dogs you have with you at one time - 'professional' dog walkers are included

• clearing up after your dog

Private land

Dog Control orders do not apply to private land where you have permission from the owner of the land or the person who controls the land.

Fixed penalty notices and fines

An authorised officer or a police officer (or police community support officers) can issue a £50 on-the-spot fine ('fixed penalty notice').

If you go to court and are found guilty you can be fined up to a £1000.

Registered blind dog owners are exempt from penalties.

Finding out about Dog Control orders where you live

Councils must let the public know which areas are affected by Dog Control Orders.

New orders

If your council plans to put an order in place locally, they must first publish a 'notice' - normally in a local newspaper and the council's website. The order must include:

• details of the area the order applies to

• if a map is referred to, say where you can see it (such as your council's offices)

• an address or email you can write to so that you can have your say - you should be given at least 28 days from the date of the notice

After the 28-day period, your local authority will decide whether or not to go ahead with the order or amend it. If there are a lot of changes to the original order, the process to publish the notice starts again with the same timescales.

Knowing what land an order applies to

Your council should also put up signs letting you know about planned orders. For example, if an order was made excluding dogs from a park, copies of the order should be placed at the entrances to the park when it was first made.

Permanent signs should be put up letting you know that dogs are not allowed in the park.

Countryside Code

You should never let your dog walk in the same field as farm animals such as sheep or cows. A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it is worrying their livestock.

2. Fouling

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/Streetcleaninglitterandillegaldumping/DG_10025986

Dog fouling

dg_4010710.jpg

Dog mess is a nuisance and it's associated with various diseases including 'toxocare canis'. Dog owners should clean up after their dog in public places - you can report dog fouling that isn't cleaned up to your local council.

Complaining about dog fouling

Councils can order owners to clean up after their dogs in public areas like:

• parks

• recreation grounds

• children's playgrounds

• sports grounds

• tourist beaches and promenades

• picnic sites

• pedestrianised areas

• pavements

• verges

• footpaths

• gutters and carriageways

Your council has a legal duty to keep these areas clear of dog mess. If you see fouling in these areas, report it to your local council. Check what the council's procedure is and confirm your complaint by letter or by filling in an online form. If possible, give details such as the name and address of the offender or, if not, a description of the owner and the dog.

The following links will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more.

Penalties

People who do not clean up after their dog can be given a £50 on-the-spot fine. If they refuse to pay the fine, they can be prosecuted and may face a court appearance with a maximum penalty of £1,000. Registered blind dog owners are exempt from penalties.

Toxocara canis

Toxocara canis is a roundworm found in dogs. Roundworm eggs are found in dog mess, which can easily be picked up by young children. This causes stomach upsets, sore throats, asthma and in rare cases blindness. The eggs can remain active in the soil for many years, long after the dog mess has weathered away.

Advice for dog owners

If your dog fouls in a public place, you must clean up the mess under the Dog Act 1996. Always carry a poop scoop, which is a specially designed plastic shovel, or a bag to carry the mess to a dog bin. If there isn't a dog mess bin, take it home and dispose of it there.

Dog owners should not allow their pets to foul at random in public areas. Toilet training at puppy stage helps. If possible, you should encourage your dog to use your garden - you can then either bury the mess or flush it down the toilet. Do not put dog mess in green garden waste bags or rubbish bins.

3. Buying a Dog + Complaining

Buying a dog

dg_4000792.jpg

Getting a dog is a big decision. If you have the time, money and commitment, choose an animal that suits your lifestyle and home. You can get a dog from a breeder, animal shelter or private sale and there are steps you can take if you are unhappy with a seller.

Getting a dog from a dogs home or animal shelter

There are many organisations and charities in the UK that look after dogs that are abandoned, lost or unwanted. They are good places to get a dog and you will be re-homing a dog that may be put down instead.

You can search online for local re-homing centres, or contact one of the major organisations like the Dogs Trust or Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. Re-homing organisations will check that you are able to look after the dog and that your home and lifestyle are suitable.

Buying a pedigree dog

Opens new window

The best way to buy a pedigree dog is through a breed club. A breed club will be able to tell you about the main characteristics and any problems the breed may have. They will also be able to give you the contact details of breeders.

Buying a puppy from a breeder

As well as talking to the breed club, you could ask your local vet if they know any responsible breeders. The vet will also know if there are any common medical problems in the type of dog you want.

You should take extra care when buying a puppy from a breeder. If you do, some of the things you should do include:

• Seeing the puppy with its mother (and father, if possible)

• checking its age - they must not leave their mother until they are at least eights weeks old

• checking its vaccination record (contact the vet that's stated) - they should get their first vaccinations before they leave their mother

• not agreeing to have the dog delivered to you unseen - this means you will not see where the puppy was bred, or its parent(s)

The Breeding of Dogs Act 1999 states that bitches should not be mated until they are at least one year old. They should also have no more than six litters in their lifetime and no more than one litter per year.

Pet shops and adverts in newspapers and on websites

If you buy a puppy from a pet shop, or from a newspaper or website advert, check that the seller does not offer a wide range of breeds. It's possible that the puppy may have come from a 'puppy farm'. A puppy farm is a name given to a place that breeds dogs for profit with little concern about their welfare.

The person in the shop selling the dog should have its breeding records. You should still follow the guidelines set out in the 'Buying a puppy from a breeder' section above.

If you are worried about a dog breeder or seller

Someone who is privately selling a dog that their own dog has given birth to does not need a licence.

Anyone who breeds and sells dogs as a business (where more than two bitches are kept for the purposes of breeding for sale) needs a licence from the local council. This is to make sure that dogs are properly raised and cared for.

Your local council has the power to check on the standards of welfare and accommodation of the dogs. They can get a warrant (permission from a court) to enter any premises that they think dog breeding is being carried out - except someone's private house.

You can report a shop or business to your local trading standards office. Or, if you think someone is breeding dogs illegally, contact your council.

4.Banned Dogs

Dogs that are banned in the UK

dg_078553.jpg

Fila Braziliero

Any dog can be a danger to the public, but certain types of dogs are banned in the UK. If you own an unregistered banned dog you are committing a criminal offence.

Banned dogs

There are four types of dogs that are banned in the UK, the:

• Pit Bull Terrier

• Japanese Tosa

• Dogo Argentino

• Fila Braziliero

None of these dogs are recognised by the government as breeds in the UK. It is illegal to breed from, sell, abandon or give away a banned dog.

The legislation that covers banned dogs is section 1 and section 4b of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. The Act also covers dangerous dogs of any breed.

What is a ‘type’ of banned dog?

Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what your dog actually looks like, rather than the breed or name by which it is called.

If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be treated as a banned type, no matter what type or breed its parents were. (Cross-bred and mongrel dogs can have the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier.)

Pit Bull type dogs

Pit Bull types can be called:

• American Staffordshire Terriers

• Irish Staffordshire Terriers

• Irish Blue or Red Nose

Some kinds of American Bulldogs have been found to be Pit Bull types.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. You are allowed to own this breed of dog.

Knowing what type of dog you have

If you are not sure what type of dog you have, you should contact the police.

What can happen to your dog

The police, or local council dog warden, can seize (capture and keep) your dog. A member of the public can also report your dog to the police. Your dog does not need to be acting dangerously or be out of control.

If your dog:

• is in a public place, the police do not need a warrant (permission from a court) to seize it

• is in a private place (like your home), the police must get a warrant to enter and seize your dog

• is in a private place and the police have a warrant for something else (for example drugs search), they can seize your dog

Once seized, your dog will be kept in police kennels - this could be for several weeks or months. You will not be allowed to visit your dog.

Judging whether your dog is a banned type

A police dog expert, or an expert used by the council, will make an assessment of the physical characteristics of your dog. They will judge the type of dog you have and whether it appears to be, or could be, a danger to the public. Following the assessment, your dog will either:

• be released

• be kept in kennels while the police (or council) apply to a court

You can give up ownership of your dog but you cannot be forced to. If you do, your dog could be destroyed without you even going to court.

Going to court

It is your responsibility to prove that your dog is not a banned type - which the court may accept. If you cannot prove it is not a banned type of dog (or you plead guilty), you will be convicted of a criminal offence and receive a criminal record. You may be eligible for legal aid.

The maximum penalty for illegal possession of a banned dog is a fine of £5,000 and/or six months' imprisonment.

The court will either:

• grant an order to return the dog to you if you prove it is not a type of banned dog

• order that your dog is destroyed if it's judged to be a type of banned dog

• grant an exemption if it thinks your dog is not a danger to the public and put it onto the government's Index of Exempted Dogs

Index of Exempted Dogs

Your dog can only be added to the Index of Exempted Dogs (IED) following a court order - you cannot ask for your dog to be put on the register. You will find out how to get a 'Certificate of Exemption' for your dog following any court order.

Conditions of being on the IED

If your dog is put on the list it will have to be:

• neutered

• tattooed

• microchipped

• kept on a lead and muzzled at all times when in a public place

• kept in a secure place so it can't escape

• insured against injuring third parties

You will have to pay for this.

As the owner you must:

• take out insurance against your dog injuring other people

• be over the age of 16 to own or be in charge of the dog

• show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or local council warden, either at the time or within five days

• let the IED know if you permanently change address, or if your dog dies

The Certificate of Exemption is valid for the life of the dog - as long as the above conditions are met.

Travelling and other countries

To find out what types of dog are banned in other countries, contact the Embassy (based in the UK) of the relevant country.

awesome

specially this bit ---> behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them - even if it's the dog owner's own home or garden.

means i CAN report that dog the other day - ok so we were more worried it would injure our dogs but whos to say it wouldnt have done the same if we didnt have the dogs with us

Good work.

I went through and found this after Harley was attacked for the 7th time by the same dog - off lead while Harley has been on-lead every time - which has also made moves to go for me twice. If they do not agree to see an independent canine behaviourist to prevent the attacks they will be given final warning under this Act that their dog is dangerously out of control, continuing behaving in a way that makes me worried it may injure me, has injured my dog, and I know I can be injured if I try to stop their dog attacking mine.

One sneeze in the wrong way after that and its the police and dog warden getting a complaint, and I will ensure that they follow through.

The owners have been keeping distant from my property...but I'm looking out for them...

Nixy, although this has been 7 times with me it escalated on the last time and apparently I am at fault according to the owners for kicking him off Harley when he was attacking Harley and then at fault again for kicking him once more when he made moves to me. It is to be noted under the Act that a single event can invoke it - you are free to report it accordingly I believe.

One thing though, and I'm working with a canine behaviourist friend of mine on this, it isn't the dog's fault - I'm looking to get the issue that the dog has resolved to help the dog...the Act is my last resort for the owners...

Good work again, thanks!

Smiler

Good work.

I went through and found this after Harley was attacked for the 7th time by the same dog - off lead while Harley has been on-lead every time - which has also made moves to go for me twice. If they do not agree to see an independent canine behaviourist to prevent the attacks they will be given final warning under this Act that their dog is dangerously out of control, continuing behaving in a way that makes me worried it may injure me, has injured my dog, and I know I can be injured if I try to stop their dog attacking mine.

One sneeze in the wrong way after that and its the police and dog warden getting a complaint, and I will ensure that they follow through.

The owners have been keeping distant from my property...but I'm looking out for them...

Nixy, although this has been 7 times with me it escalated on the last time and apparently I am at fault according to the owners for kicking him off Harley when he was attacking Harley and then at fault again for kicking him once more when he made moves to me. It is to be noted under the Act that a single event can invoke it - you are free to report it accordingly I believe.

One thing though, and I'm working with a canine behaviourist friend of mine on this, it isn't the dog's fault - I'm looking to get the issue that the dog has resolved to help the dog...the Act is my last resort for the owners...

Good work again, thanks!

Smiler

last dog that attacked skyla i booted and stamped on the dogs head - when WE rung the police about it n they came to make a statement - i told them what i did - told them i didnt want to as i love animals n dont like hurting them - he said he understood as i was protecting my girl - never got into trouble for it ;) i think being honest helps

Really good post!! I didn't know you weren't supposed to put dog poo in your own bins?! What are you supposed to do with it then? I don't have a big enough garden to bury it!!

i missed that bit - i always put the dogs poop in our wheely bin :/ and in bins on our walk as we only have 2 dog bin in the area n its not where we walk

last dog that attacked skyla i booted and stamped on the dogs head - when WE rung the police about it n they came to make a statement - i told them what i did - told them i didnt want to as i love animals n dont like hurting them - he said he understood as i was protecting my girl - never got into trouble for it ;) i think being honest helps

That and being the first one to ring them helps them to know you're telling the truth and not trying to hide something

Ok we have had many members complaining about Offlead dogs and fouling and quoting various bits of Law, some correct others a mishmash of hearsay and wishful thinking.

So here it is from the horses (government :)) mouth.

Current legistlation regarding Dogs in the U.K.

I have included the link to the website for each section

1. Control of Dogs

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/Dogs/DG_180008

Controlling your dog in public

dg_4001037.jpg

It is your responsibility to make sure your dog behaves in public. You should also make yourself aware of any local Dog Control Orders. If you need help with training, you can contact a local dog trainer through your phone book or online.

Out of control dogs

It is an offence to allow a dog of any type or breed to be dangerously out of control:

• in a public place - like a street, park, bus shelter or the common parts of a block of flats (like the entrance or stairs)

• in a private place where the dog isn't allowed to be

Public areas also include fields, footpaths and beaches.

What is 'out of control'?

Your dog is dangerously out of control if it:

• injures a person, or

• behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them - even if it's the dog owner's own home or garden.

If you use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with 'malicious wounding'. The maximum penalty for this is five years in prison.

Other people's animals

A court could judge that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

• it injures another person's animal

• the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

Fines

Anyone can report a dog and their owner to the police.

If you are found guilty of having a dog that's out of control you may face a fine of up to £1000 and/or imprisonment. You may also not be allowed to own a dog in the future.

The law about out of control dogs is covered in section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Dog Control Orders

Local authorities in England and Wales have the power to issue Dog Control Orders. This means that in certain public areas, one (or more) of the rules below could apply:

• keeping your dog on a lead

• putting your dog on a lead when told to by the police, a police community support officer or someone authorised by the council

• not letting your dog go onto land that they should not - such as farmland

• limiting the number of dogs you have with you at one time - 'professional' dog walkers are included

• clearing up after your dog

Private land

Dog Control orders do not apply to private land where you have permission from the owner of the land or the person who controls the land.

Fixed penalty notices and fines

An authorised officer or a police officer (or police community support officers) can issue a £50 on-the-spot fine ('fixed penalty notice').

If you go to court and are found guilty you can be fined up to a £1000.

Registered blind dog owners are exempt from penalties.

Finding out about Dog Control orders where you live

Councils must let the public know which areas are affected by Dog Control Orders.

New orders

If your council plans to put an order in place locally, they must first publish a 'notice' - normally in a local newspaper and the council's website. The order must include:

• details of the area the order applies to

• if a map is referred to, say where you can see it (such as your council's offices)

• an address or email you can write to so that you can have your say - you should be given at least 28 days from the date of the notice

After the 28-day period, your local authority will decide whether or not to go ahead with the order or amend it. If there are a lot of changes to the original order, the process to publish the notice starts again with the same timescales.

Knowing what land an order applies to

Your council should also put up signs letting you know about planned orders. For example, if an order was made excluding dogs from a park, copies of the order should be placed at the entrances to the park when it was first made.

Permanent signs should be put up letting you know that dogs are not allowed in the park.

Countryside Code

You should never let your dog walk in the same field as farm animals such as sheep or cows. A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it is worrying their livestock.

2. Fouling

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/Streetcleaninglitterandillegaldumping/DG_10025986

Dog fouling

dg_4010710.jpg

Dog mess is a nuisance and it's associated with various diseases including 'toxocare canis'. Dog owners should clean up after their dog in public places - you can report dog fouling that isn't cleaned up to your local council.

Complaining about dog fouling

Councils can order owners to clean up after their dogs in public areas like:

• parks

• recreation grounds

• children's playgrounds

• sports grounds

• tourist beaches and promenades

• picnic sites

• pedestrianised areas

• pavements

• verges

• footpaths

• gutters and carriageways

Your council has a legal duty to keep these areas clear of dog mess. If you see fouling in these areas, report it to your local council. Check what the council's procedure is and confirm your complaint by letter or by filling in an online form. If possible, give details such as the name and address of the offender or, if not, a description of the owner and the dog.

The following links will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more.

Penalties

People who do not clean up after their dog can be given a £50 on-the-spot fine. If they refuse to pay the fine, they can be prosecuted and may face a court appearance with a maximum penalty of £1,000. Registered blind dog owners are exempt from penalties.

Toxocara canis

Toxocara canis is a roundworm found in dogs. Roundworm eggs are found in dog mess, which can easily be picked up by young children. This causes stomach upsets, sore throats, asthma and in rare cases blindness. The eggs can remain active in the soil for many years, long after the dog mess has weathered away.

Advice for dog owners

If your dog fouls in a public place, you must clean up the mess under the Dog Act 1996. Always carry a poop scoop, which is a specially designed plastic shovel, or a bag to carry the mess to a dog bin. If there isn't a dog mess bin, take it home and dispose of it there.

Dog owners should not allow their pets to foul at random in public areas. Toilet training at puppy stage helps. If possible, you should encourage your dog to use your garden - you can then either bury the mess or flush it down the toilet. Do not put dog mess in green garden waste bags or rubbish bins.

3. Buying a Dog + Complaining

Buying a dog

dg_4000792.jpg

Getting a dog is a big decision. If you have the time, money and commitment, choose an animal that suits your lifestyle and home. You can get a dog from a breeder, animal shelter or private sale and there are steps you can take if you are unhappy with a seller.

Getting a dog from a dogs home or animal shelter

There are many organisations and charities in the UK that look after dogs that are abandoned, lost or unwanted. They are good places to get a dog and you will be re-homing a dog that may be put down instead.

You can search online for local re-homing centres, or contact one of the major organisations like the Dogs Trust or Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. Re-homing organisations will check that you are able to look after the dog and that your home and lifestyle are suitable.

Buying a pedigree dog

Opens new window

The best way to buy a pedigree dog is through a breed club. A breed club will be able to tell you about the main characteristics and any problems the breed may have. They will also be able to give you the contact details of breeders.

Buying a puppy from a breeder

As well as talking to the breed club, you could ask your local vet if they know any responsible breeders. The vet will also know if there are any common medical problems in the type of dog you want.

You should take extra care when buying a puppy from a breeder. If you do, some of the things you should do include:

• Seeing the puppy with its mother (and father, if possible)

• checking its age - they must not leave their mother until they are at least eights weeks old

• checking its vaccination record (contact the vet that's stated) - they should get their first vaccinations before they leave their mother

• not agreeing to have the dog delivered to you unseen - this means you will not see where the puppy was bred, or its parent(s)

The Breeding of Dogs Act 1999 states that bitches should not be mated until they are at least one year old. They should also have no more than six litters in their lifetime and no more than one litter per year.

Pet shops and adverts in newspapers and on websites

If you buy a puppy from a pet shop, or from a newspaper or website advert, check that the seller does not offer a wide range of breeds. It's possible that the puppy may have come from a 'puppy farm'. A puppy farm is a name given to a place that breeds dogs for profit with little concern about their welfare.

The person in the shop selling the dog should have its breeding records. You should still follow the guidelines set out in the 'Buying a puppy from a breeder' section above.

If you are worried about a dog breeder or seller

Someone who is privately selling a dog that their own dog has given birth to does not need a licence.

Anyone who breeds and sells dogs as a business (where more than two bitches are kept for the purposes of breeding for sale) needs a licence from the local council. This is to make sure that dogs are properly raised and cared for.

Your local council has the power to check on the standards of welfare and accommodation of the dogs. They can get a warrant (permission from a court) to enter any premises that they think dog breeding is being carried out - except someone's private house.

You can report a shop or business to your local trading standards office. Or, if you think someone is breeding dogs illegally, contact your council.

4.Banned Dogs

Dogs that are banned in the UK

dg_078553.jpg

Fila Braziliero

Any dog can be a danger to the public, but certain types of dogs are banned in the UK. If you own an unregistered banned dog you are committing a criminal offence.

Banned dogs

There are four types of dogs that are banned in the UK, the:

• Pit Bull Terrier

• Japanese Tosa

• Dogo Argentino

• Fila Braziliero

None of these dogs are recognised by the government as breeds in the UK. It is illegal to breed from, sell, abandon or give away a banned dog.

The legislation that covers banned dogs is section 1 and section 4b of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. The Act also covers dangerous dogs of any breed.

What is a ‘type’ of banned dog?

Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what your dog actually looks like, rather than the breed or name by which it is called.

If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be treated as a banned type, no matter what type or breed its parents were. (Cross-bred and mongrel dogs can have the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier.)

Pit Bull type dogs

Pit Bull types can be called:

• American Staffordshire Terriers

• Irish Staffordshire Terriers

• Irish Blue or Red Nose

Some kinds of American Bulldogs have been found to be Pit Bull types.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. You are allowed to own this breed of dog.

Knowing what type of dog you have

If you are not sure what type of dog you have, you should contact the police.

What can happen to your dog

The police, or local council dog warden, can seize (capture and keep) your dog. A member of the public can also report your dog to the police. Your dog does not need to be acting dangerously or be out of control.

If your dog:

• is in a public place, the police do not need a warrant (permission from a court) to seize it

• is in a private place (like your home), the police must get a warrant to enter and seize your dog

• is in a private place and the police have a warrant for something else (for example drugs search), they can seize your dog

Once seized, your dog will be kept in police kennels - this could be for several weeks or months. You will not be allowed to visit your dog.

Judging whether your dog is a banned type

A police dog expert, or an expert used by the council, will make an assessment of the physical characteristics of your dog. They will judge the type of dog you have and whether it appears to be, or could be, a danger to the public. Following the assessment, your dog will either:

• be released

• be kept in kennels while the police (or council) apply to a court

You can give up ownership of your dog but you cannot be forced to. If you do, your dog could be destroyed without you even going to court.

Going to court

It is your responsibility to prove that your dog is not a banned type - which the court may accept. If you cannot prove it is not a banned type of dog (or you plead guilty), you will be convicted of a criminal offence and receive a criminal record. You may be eligible for legal aid.

The maximum penalty for illegal possession of a banned dog is a fine of £5,000 and/or six months' imprisonment.

The court will either:

• grant an order to return the dog to you if you prove it is not a type of banned dog

• order that your dog is destroyed if it's judged to be a type of banned dog

• grant an exemption if it thinks your dog is not a danger to the public and put it onto the government's Index of Exempted Dogs

Index of Exempted Dogs

Your dog can only be added to the Index of Exempted Dogs (IED) following a court order - you cannot ask for your dog to be put on the register. You will find out how to get a 'Certificate of Exemption' for your dog following any court order.

Conditions of being on the IED

If your dog is put on the list it will have to be:

• neutered

• tattooed

• microchipped

• kept on a lead and muzzled at all times when in a public place

• kept in a secure place so it can't escape

• insured against injuring third parties

You will have to pay for this.

As the owner you must:

• take out insurance against your dog injuring other people

• be over the age of 16 to own or be in charge of the dog

• show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or local council warden, either at the time or within five days

• let the IED know if you permanently change address, or if your dog dies

The Certificate of Exemption is valid for the life of the dog - as long as the above conditions are met.

Travelling and other countries

To find out what types of dog are banned in other countries, contact the Embassy (based in the UK) of the relevant country.

I read on your post how they (police) can come and seize your dog without search warrant, not having to do with dogs, but in my state, they passed a law where officers can enter your house without a search warrant being a requirement

I researched this a couple of weeks ago when some interfering numpty told me my Collies should be on a lead "because that's the law!"

I informed them that the 'law of the land' says they have to be 'under control' & as my dogs come when I call/whistle, don't attack/worry other dogs or people, they don't actually have to be on a lead.

Unless the local County Council Bye-laws say they have to be on a lead, in a designated SIGNPOSTED area or road (I'm not stupid enough to walk my Collies off lead on a main road), that's all the law requires (as long as you poo scoop :dogwalk:)

Nice info there

Editted to add:

That's not quite up to date (even though it's a gov. site), they've changed the law regarding farmers shooting your dog for 'worrying' sheep etc.

They can ONLY shoot your dog IF your dog actually causes physical harm. A farmer told me this & I checked with a police officer & he confirmed it.

Again, I'm not stupid enough (& wouldn't advocate) allowing a dog to get near livestock if you know the dog's likely to attack them but at least you're safer if walking out in the countryside (dog off-lead) & you come across livestock unexpectedly ;)