Sibe being weirdly aggressive with new dog

vbevan

I have just bought a Samoyed to keep my Siberian company at home when I'm at work etc. The Siberian (Diesel) is a 3 year old male and the Samoyed (Bundy) is a 1 year old male (both unsterilized). They are about the same size and when outside there are no problems. However from day 1, Diesel licks Bundy’s mouth constantly, until Bundy gets annoyed and walks off. And now when they are inside, they usually end up with Diesel opening his mouth and placing it over Bundy’s mouth and then play biting which leads to them having a small, but serious, scuffle. I also notice Bundy seems to be humping Diesel quite a lot when he gets excited.

It doesn’t seem to be jealousy, as it happens regardless of who is getting attention and even when I’m not near them sometimes. It’s almost like Diesel is doing it just to annoy Bundy and provoke him. They aren’t bored, they get over an hour each day exercise, plus heaps of attention besides that. I have no idea what is going on with my dogs. Anyone have any advice?

its dominance - the more submissive dog will be the 1 licking the other dogs mouth - hiumping is what they do when they want to work out whos higher in the pack - as will the scuffles - its natural im afraid n probably wont stop untill they work out whos higher in the pack - oh n btw i LOVE samoyeds i want one one day - can i have pics please :D

Yep as Nix says.

Dominance play.

They are establishing pack order in your house.

Hopefully it won't get TOO heated.

Actually, Diesel is displaying both dominant and submissive behaviors, in that he's also taking Bundy's mouth in his, which is dominant. I think they're just trying to figure out who's what in their new little pack. Neutering might be helpful to keep things on an even keel between the two...

Agree with Nix and Gigi.

My boys are also trying to figure out who's dominant as both will display dominant and submissive behaviors. I think Koopa is dominant for now but he has always been very submissive so Kuma could easily take the position from him if he really wanted to. I feel he will with age but right now he is still submissive to Koopa about 80-95% of the time. I'm lucky in that my boys don't have scuffles and both are unaltered for the moment, plan on getting Kuma done in a few months.

I agree with sutsibe, and you should get them both fixed as it will def stop dominance from becoming a problem. They are establishing the hierarchy between the two of them, and hopefully while they do this you keep reminding them who is on top of both.

I very seldom disagree with @sutsibe but neutering has little to do with dominance issues (and I haven't read all this thread so excuse me if I'm way off topic)

Whether they're neutered or not, there are still going to be issues with pack hierarchy - hopefully not as extreme since the hormones are out of the picture but in any case one will be dominant.

I very seldom disagree with @sutsibe but neutering has little to do with dominance issues (and I haven't read all this thread so excuse me if I'm way off topic)

Whether they're neutered or not, there are still going to be issues with pack hierarchy - hopefully not as extreme since the hormones are out of the picture but in any case one will be dominant.

I agree entirely that neutering won't resolve all dominance issues! Getting rid of the excess testosterone will almost always help - the major exception I've seen was in dogs that particularly disliked each other before neutering, and even that tended to mellow over time.

I agree entirely that neutering won't resolve all dominance issues! Getting rid of the excess testosterone will almost always help - the major exception I've seen was in dogs that particularly disliked each other before neutering, and even that tended to mellow over time.

I agree with that too. Suka always likes to be the 'top dog' at the dog park - and even the unneutered males submit to him.

when I said from "becoming a problem" I meant going at each others throats problem. add "extreme" before problem and there you go. :monkeydance:

Dogs.jpg

Dogs (click picture to open album)

Sorry, it took a while for me to work out how to upload some pics. They are great most of the time, so I'll let them be for now, as long as they don't get too boisterous in their quest for dominence ;)

And they both know they are only fighting for 3rd and 4th place in our houses pecking order. Thanks for the advice.

Dogs.jpg

Dogs (click picture to open album)

Sorry, it took a while for me to work out how to upload some pics. They are great most of the time, so I'll let them be for now, as long as they don't get too boisterous in their quest for dominence ;)

And they both know they are only fighting for 3rd and 4th place in our houses pecking order. Thanks for the advice.

omg thank you soooooooooooooooo much for posting up pics! its made me even more certain that a sammy IS going to be my next dog!!!!! GORGEOUS i love the 1 of them playing in the back garden (5th pic along) and of him being a nice white rug infront of your fridge! :D cant wait to see more pics!!!!! :D

omg thank you soooooooooooooooo much for posting up pics! its made me even more certain that a sammy IS going to be my next dog!!!!! GORGEOUS i love the 1 of them playing in the back garden (5th pic along) and of him being a nice white rug infront of your fridge! :D cant wait to see more pics!!!!! :D

The yard pics were when he first arrived. It's been raining here, and he decided his coat looks better mud than white. The mat pic in front of the fridge is the normal colour lol.

Yeah, this is my first Samoyed (I've had 4 huskies including Diesel so far) so this is just speculation, but the Samoyed's seem so much more cuddly than huskies. The huskies love to be around you, but they are content to just sit near, while Bundy tries to lay on your feet and all over you contantly. Less aloof than huskies is the best way to describe him.

The other problem is house training. Both being intact males, they have to out do each other with marking their territory. To the point Bundy decided to mark Diesels crate yesterday

:doglaugh:

This could be the tipping point for fixing one or both of them I think. It's so hard to house train when they aren't peeing because they have to, but cause they want to.

The yard pics were when he first arrived. It's been raining here, and he decided his coat looks better mud than white. The mat pic in front of the fridge is the normal colour lol.

Yeah, this is my first Samoyed (I've had 4 huskies including Diesel so far) so this is just speculation, but the Samoyed's seem so much more cuddly than huskies. The huskies love to be around you, but they are content to just sit near, while Bundy tries to lay on your feet and all over you contantly. Less aloof than huskies is the best way to describe him.

The other problem is house training. Both being intact males, they have to out do each other with marking their territory. To the point Bundy decided to mark Diesels crate yesterday

:doglaugh:

This could be the tipping point for fixing one or both of them I think. It's so hard to house train when they aren't peeing because they have to, but cause they want to.

oops lol - yeh fixing them will help

skyla is the same n thinks mud looks better than white too ;)

28320_405199971680_714381680_4618368_6808871_n.jpg