retractable leads

shenn

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the standard Flexis for years, and have never had a problem - so long as I make sure to not get burned by the rope! I've seen lots of people at shows use them, and maybe we're just lucky, but I haven't ever heard of one snapping...

Many on the forum have 30, 50 or 100' ropes the dogs drag while playing, as well.

no theres only one or two dog parks that i know of and they are miles away and my car is off the road so cant get to them i wish i could trust them to come back to me but theyve escaped before and it was hard work catching them lol, thanx for all the replies ill check out them on ebay :)

I use a flex, but then Bo is a lightweight and now doesn't pull unless he sees a bunny, squirrel or cat. When I first got him he pulled like a train and I got through the lead he came with in about 10 days. Would never have considered one then. We went through a transition from a long line and when he got used to the idea that he didn't need to pull I moved over to the flexi which is so much easier to walk with and you don't have to keep hauling it in and out or cleaning it when it gets dirty. Beware though you can get some nasty burns off them if they catch you or you grab the lead. Also you need to take extra care with them if they want to play with another dog as this could be harmful if they get the lead wrapped around legs.

We use a large flexi, designed for dogs much heavier than Luna (my theory is that she can probably pull more than a large dog so I've sized up) no problems with them snapping but the little ratbag has chewed through two in as many weeks!!! They were fixable but it's bluddy irritating!

I use a flex, but then Bo is a lightweight and now doesn't pull unless he sees a bunny, squirrel or cat. When I first got him he pulled like a train and I got through the lead he came with in about 10 days. Would never have considered one then. We went through a transition from a long line and when he got used to the idea that he didn't need to pull I moved over to the flexi which is so much easier to walk with and you don't have to keep hauling it in and out or cleaning it when it gets dirty. Beware though you can get some nasty burns off them if they catch you or you grab the lead. Also you need to take extra care with them if they want to play with another dog as this could be harmful if they get the lead wrapped around legs.

i think thats wot ill do try get him used to a long lead first then get one cause he does seem to pull alot more than any one else i know wit a huskie my girlfriend cant walk him at all cause she gets dragged down the road nearly tripping over herself lol

I use a Giant Flexi too. We tried a standard Flexi but got fed up of the rope burns, Tape ones are the way forward!

There not exactly small, but are strong .... just watch out when there running passed then get to the end of the 8m tape! :D

:dog3:

I use a Giant Flexi too. We tried a standard Flexi but got fed up of the rope burns, Tape ones are the way forward!

There not exactly small, but are strong .... just watch out when there running passed then get to the end of the 8m tape! :D

ud def feel them pull then afta working up some speed id say lol

Exactly, because by the time your Husky has got to the end of the lead, it's probably going in excess of 25Mph

This could do one of several things.

1. Yank the retractable handle out of your grip. You now have a loose Husky, which is being chased by a strange bouncing, clattering handle.

This scares the dog into running faster. :(

2. Break your arm / wrist, with the force of the lead snapping tight. (This has happened)

3. Dislocate your shoulder. (Also happened)

Just a few things to consider, if yours is the kind that likes to suddenly 'Launch' forward whilst on the lead.

I use the all important stop button before he gets too fast.

But the thought reminds me of a skit from the Jeff Dunham show. Chiwawa Vs Retractable lead!

h2lTtaKt-eU

:doglaugh::doglaugh::doglaugh: Excellent. Bo gets his owners revenge, he runs around a bush in thick undergrowth where I can't follow and forgets that he has a reverse gear. He comes back but lead is stuck around bush. I have to unleash him to get lead back. Tug, tug, tug, whoosh it comes at me like an exocet missile. B...y hurts if the clip gets you. Bo has a big who me expression on his face with a that will teach you not not to let me off the lead when a squirrel's about!