Nan's tag for not putting dog down

Dunc

A 71-YEAR-OLD grandmother has been tagged after failing to have her sick dog put down.

Pauline Spoor, 71, loved her loyal chocolate labrador Dexter so much she couldn't face having him destroyed - even though the frail and infirm dog was up to 18 years old and struggled to walk.

RSPCA officials broke into her home in Hattersley, Greater Manchester and found Dexter suffering from a string of medical problems.

He was put down by a vet the following day.

Pooch-loving pensioner Pauline must now wear the electronic tag for three months and stay at home between 9pm and 6am.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3720113/Nans-tag-for-not-putting-dog-down.html#ixzz1TQ0hSLCZ

But look at the poor dog, Its not a crime to love an animal but when its suffering like that its selfish to keep the poor thing alive. I dont think she should be punished for it but I agree with the fact that they put the poor dog out of its misery.

i agree - but to be tagged is just extreme! she said she realised she was in the wrong but loved him soooo much she couldnt face it - to be treated like a criminal is just disgusting

The RSPCA knew about the pets condition since MAY of last year???? If they were really so concerned about the dogs well being...and KNEW that it couldn't ride public transport wouldn't it have made more sense for them to help her by getting a vet to come to her place? Once again awesome judgement on their part:duh:

The more I hear about so many of these big name animal 'rescue' groups the more my faith in them slips and slides downwards towards them being a group of crazies who spout one ideal but end up really only being on some messed up power trip using 'protection' as a mask for what the actual intentions/actions are...

I think the story has been blown out of proportion, I imagine the old lady doesn't get much company and her dog was her only regular companion. She recognised that he was very old and not in the best of health but couldn't bring herself to help him over to rainbow bridge. Rather than breaking in to her house why didn't they contact her face to face, explain the reasons why the dog was better off being PTS and offered to take him for her? Rather than branding her a criminal and making her feel so much worse than she probably already does.

I feel really sorry for her and I hope her best friend runs free at rainbow bridge until she meets him again!:rainbowbridge:

Horrible... I've always had a sore spot for putting dogs down. And I'm still on the fence about it. But either way this is just messed up as it gets... Putting a tracker on someone for this?

The thing that confuses me is, we keep old people alive in nursing homes for as long as we can, no matter how hard they are suffering... But its completely different for sick dogs, you can get fined for keeping a sick dog alive...

Trey.

So sad that the old Lady couldn't see what was best for the dog.

A bit of an overreaction by tagging the old lady though.

Horrible... I've always had a sore spot for putting dogs down. And I'm still on the fence about it. But either way this is just messed up as it gets... Putting a tracker on someone for this?

The thing that confuses me is, we keep old people alive in nursing homes for as long as we can, no matter how hard they are suffering... But its completely different for sick dogs, you can get fined for keeping a sick dog alive...

Trey.

I also believe euthanasia should be made legal also. If we can put an animal out of their misery why not have the same respect for a human being.....

I knew a lady (my mums a cleaner and did her cleaning), shes died now, bless her soul but she had alzheimer's and even though her daughter visited every week, she never remembered and thought nobody ever visited her. She was from Scotland but had come to our town to live with her husband, he had passed away and she had eventually been put into a home (this is where my mum cleaned). She always asked what she was doing there, she didnt know what town she was in and didnt know why she was there and not in 'bonny scotland'. You could go out of the room, come back in and she had forgotten who you were, but she always said that she just wanted to die :( She no longer had anything to live for and wanted to be with her mum and husband. It was so sad to hear her say that she didnt want to be here and that god must be punishing her by keeping her alive. I was glad when she passed, not because she had died but because she was free and she had finally got what she wanted.

I'm on the fence with this one. In today's society, the dog was probably the only company she ever had. She just loved it so much she couldn't put it down. Think of the situation from her point of view.

And, please explain to the non-UK folk...what IS tagging?

I'm on the fence with this one. In today's society, the dog was probably the only company she ever had. She just loved it so much she couldn't put it down. Think of the situation from her point of view.

And, please explain to the non-UK folk...what IS tagging?

Tagging is an electronic tag that is placed on the ankle and it lets out a signal, you arent allowed to leave your home between certain times and if you do, it emits a signal and you can be arrested.

Tagging is an electronic tag that is placed on the ankle and it lets out a signal, you arent allowed to leave your home between certain times and if you do, it emits a signal and you can be arrested.

Can't you just...you know...take it off and leave it at home? Or does it send out a signal if its taken off too?

What is the point in putting her on tag? She's just lost her companion of 18 years so I suspect going out is going to be the last thing on her mind. I believe she was wrong in not seeking medical advice for her dog put to put her on tag is a severe over reaction.

i do feel for the poor old dog

but imagine the poor old dear,it was her best friend and to want to cling on to it til the last i can understand.

i think the fact that the poor dog has been pts is punishment enough.

R.I.P Dexter......you will be running free now,no pain and in peace!

Knowing the news media and how they really like to play stories like this - as someone else said, we'll probably not know everything that went down *BUT* as much as I don't like to put any animal down, there comes a time where something must be done so it's not living in constant pain (and humiliation - though that's a human concept, I think you all understand what I mean). Having the RSPCA "break into the house" - c'mon, we're not dealing with a hostage situation here, knock on her door and explain the situation and help her put the animal to sleep, she's feeling bad enough already, as was said, she doesn't need to be treated like a criminal - he was probably her last companion and I really feel sorry for her. I understand the pain of putting an animal down, sometimes (probably most of the time) it's for the best - but it still hurts!