Hi all Husky Lovers

MikBex

Its plastered all over the net to not let huskies off lead for a reason :)

Please dont encourage random husky owners to let their husky off lead just because yours is so far an exception!

Jaimie, I hope that wasn't aimed at me; I know that! I would have thought that "comes home - eventually" would have been a good enough indication that it's not a good thing. Anyplace where the dog can be distracted - most, if not all, suburban / urban area - are dangerous for any dog but especially ones who like to run and can get lost in the city so easily.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boyo, you're one great optimist - but the last is why Misty's back on leash - I let her out the other night for her nightly run and after she'd been out for an hour or so I heard gunfire. (and the blasted dog didn't come home till something like 5:00!! talk about one nervous 'daddy')

I have to admit, though that I've taken a couple of pot shots at coyotes that have gotten too close to the house lately. They come in just far enough to entice the dog to come out and "play", but play times comes with dinner and the pup is dinner! Haven't found out yet who was firing at what, but - as you say - not worth the risk!

I consider myself really lucky that if / when she gets loose she will come home on her own - eventually!

phew that was lucky. mind you you do have one hell of a backyard!

:hello:Mike and Becki---:welcome5: to the pack! Your girl is absolutely Goorgeous!!! She has the upside-down mark of Tyr on her, she's very beautiful! Any choices on a name yet? I would invest in a metal crate to crate train her-it'll help you along, and give her her own "cave" or space thats all hers, they actually LIKE it! Its so exciting when getting ready to pick them up, we're excited for you!

Hey sorry newbie Husky owners here may I ask what an upside-down mark of tyr is ???

Thanks Beki n Mike

i would not say i am encouraging people to let their huskys off lead.....if i took notice of what i read my husky would still be kept on a lead and never let off.....i know people have different experiences of this but i think its a damm shame that some huskys never have the chance.!!!!..hay, i know its a risk..i only let mine off away from main roads - never near danger...use ur common sense..i know of other breeds that can just run and run and run too...ranging from spaniel to pointers.

I have had my husky run off into the distance the first few times down on the beach, more off a scent thing i think,horses or sumtimes seeing another dog to play with but never totally ran away juss stopped and waited for me to catch up...Skye does like to run on ahead at times but keeps in a rarther large radius of me, not like a collie who stays very close.

I could never imagine not letting mine off lead...maybe, maybe oneday she will run away..but i will take that chance !!

Please share your experiences of this, as i would be very interested to know.

i would not say i am encouraging people to let their huskys off lead.....if i took notice of what i read my husky would still be kept on a lead and never let off.....i know people have different experiences of this but i think its a damm shame that some huskys never have the chance.!!!!..hay, i know its a risk..i only let mine off away from main roads - never near danger...use ur common sense..i know of other breeds that can just run and run and run too...ranging from spaniel to pointers.

I have had my husky run off into the distance the first few times down on the beach, more off a scent thing i think,horses or sumtimes seeing another dog to play with but never totally ran away juss stopped and waited for me to catch up...Skye does like to run on ahead at times but keeps in a rarther large radius of me, not like a collie who stays very close.

I could never imagine not letting mine off lead...maybe, maybe oneday she will run away..but i will take that chance !!

Please share your experiences of this, as i would be very interested to know.

i think it's a shame you are prepared to risk her life like that - personally i use a 100 ft lead or let them off at the dog park.

We do not encourage people to let them off leash willy nilly - it take a LOT of training - there's a reason breeders / sibe clubs / forum / rescue centres across the WORLD don't advise to let them off leash - they don't say it for the sake of it.

Anyway - this is taking this thread totally off topic, if you want to discuss please feel free to start a new thread :)

i think it's a shame you are prepared to risk her life like that - personally i use a 100 ft lead or let them off at the dog park.

We do not encourage people to let them off leash willy nilly - it take a LOT of training - there's a reason breeders / sibe clubs / forum / rescue centres across the WORLD don't advise to let them off leash - they don't say it for the sake of it.

Anyway - this is taking this thread totally off topic, if you want to discuss please feel free to start a new thread :)

firstly...i am not risking my dogs life and never would...anyway.....another thread maybe!!!!!