A Dogs point of view: How to hug a baby

Franklin Phil

Instructions on properly hugging a baby from a dogs point of view

1. First, uh, find a baby.

post-8679-13586081754252_thumb.jpg

2. Second, be sure that the object you found was indeed an actual baby, by employing classic sniffing techniques.

post-8679-13586081755352_thumb.jpg

3. Next, you will need to flatten the baby before actually beginning the hugging process.

post-8679-13586081755629_thumb.jpg

4. The 'Paw slide' -- Simply slide paw around the baby and prepare for possible close-up photography.

post-8679-13586081755901_thumb.jpg

5. Finally, if a camera is present, you will need to execute the difficult and patented 'hug, smile, and lean' so as to achieve the best photo quality.

post-8679-13586081756264_thumb.jpg

post-125-13585979313064_thumb.jpg

post-125-13585979313428_thumb.jpg

post-125-13585979313712_thumb.jpg

post-125-13585979313995_thumb.jpg

post-125-13585979314287_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These pictures make me nervous.......

Me too. I've seen them before and to be honest "cute" is not the first thought that came to mind.

That's a very large and heavy dog LYING on a baby. I know I'm being a party pooper but it makes me feel sick in my stomach.

Yeah, makes me nervous too. But Dogs know how to be gentle (well, "good" ones anyway... I wouldn't trust the one that ate his/her puppies!). Otherwise we wouldn't have puppies, and therefore dogs, lolz

Some dogs are gentle but many more have to be trained to behave appropriately around children.

And look at the size of that dog - Neos can weigh more than a person, even if the dog thought it was "being gentle" would you take the risk and allow it to LIE on top of a young baby? We have no idea from the pictures what the dog's intention really was. It is not behaviour I would ever condone or encourage from my dogs. "Hugging" is not a canine behaviour, it's a human concept. I guarantee you that dog wasn't thinking "oh I'm going to give the baby a hug now"

These pictures make me nervous.......

Lol! It's funny you say that Matthew. The part I didn't share is this dogs personal profile. His name is Brutus. He tops the scales at over 200 pounds. He is a military K9 who won the congressional medel of honor for his tour in Iraq. Does this calm you or make you more nervous lol.

Some dogs are gentle but many more have to be trained to behave appropriately around children.

And look at the size of that dog - Neos can weigh more than a person, even if the dog thought it was "being gentle" would you take the risk and allow it to LIE on top of a young baby? We have no idea from the pictures what the dog's intention really was. It is not behaviour I would ever condone or encourage from my dogs. "Hugging" is not a canine behaviour, it's a human concept. I guarantee you that dog wasn't thinking "oh I'm going to give the baby a hug now"

Different dogs have different temperaments. I would have to have a LOT of trust for that dog, but we have no idea what its like. It could be a female and have puppies off screen, you have to be just as gentle with them. The bigger the dog, the more the push over, again, if its a female the meternal instincts are probably kicking in. But your right, under normal circumstances I wouldn't do this.

And if it was my baby I'd kill the dog or the owner before they got near my kids, if I didn't have 100% trust for the dog.

I'd be interested in how they handle pups before letting them near a child too though.

Trey.

Lol! It's funny you say that Matthew. The part I didn't share is this dogs personal profile. His name is Brutis. He tops the scales at over 200 pounds. He is a military K9 who won the congressional medel of honor for his tour in Iraq. Does this calm you or make you more nervous lol.

Ah, well.... there, now we have a better idea of what the dog is like, lol :P

It probably calms me down a little.

Trey.

Different dogs have different temperaments. I would have to have a LOT of trust for that dog, but we have no idea what its like. It could be a female and have puppies off screen, you have to be just as gentle with them. The bigger the dog, the more the push over, again, if its a female the meternal instincts are probably kicking in. But your right, under normal circumstances I wouldn't do this.

And if it was my baby I'd kill the dog or the owner before they got near my kids, if I didn't have 100% trust for the dog.

I'd be interested in how they handle pups before letting them near a child too though.

Trey.

It's not about trust, the dog could have a stellar temperament, but the size and weight of it compared to the baby is incomparable and even if it thought it was being gentle, it could easily hurt that baby or worse.

Anyway I appreciate that some people think it's cute, I just can't understand or share the sentiment.

It's not about trust, the dog could have a stellar temperament, but the size and weight of it compared to the baby is incomparable and even if it thought it was being gentle, it could easily hurt that baby or worse.

Anyway I appreciate that some people think it's cute, I just can't understand or share the sentiment.

Kill-joy. :( lol

I have to respectfully disagree. They have to be gentle with puppies, no? and yes, its about trust. Trusting the dog to not quish the poor thing...

And I doubt the person in the pic didn't know the dog to be gentle enough to not hurt the baby, yes, they do know how to be gentle, just because they are huge, doesn't make them dumb. Some are oblivious, yes. But not all.

Trey

I have to respectfully disagree. They have to be gentle with puppies, no? and yes, its about trust. Trusting the dog to not quish the poor thing...

And I doubt the person in the pic didn't know the dog to be gentle enough to not hurt the baby, yes, they do know how to be gentle, just because they are huge, doesn't make them dumb. Some are oblivious, yes. But not all.

Are you really suggesting that a dog sees a human baby as a puppy? There are plenty of dogs that aren't good with puppies, and this dog is a male, not a female, so wouldn't rear pups anyway.

If that was your baby - would you really take the risk and let a dog that weighs more than a person lie on top of it? Trust doesn't even come into it IMO. It's plain common sense.

Are you really suggesting that a dog sees a human baby as a puppy? There are plenty of dogs that aren't good with puppies, and this dog is a male, not a female, so wouldn't rear pups anyway.

If that was your baby - would you really take the risk and let a dog that weighs more than a person lie on top of it? Trust doesn't even come into it IMO. It's plain common sense.

Your right, but I'm just saying its not a bad idea period, it just depends on the circumstances, and by trust I mean knowing how the dog is. And I know from experience males can be very bad with their puppies...

Oh and on a jokey note, My dad weighs 200 pounds. But Mom let him hold me when I was a baby :D

Okay, I want to chime in here. I think that for some reason you're thinking this baby's mother is allowing a strange 200 pound dog to lay over her baby. I certainly doubt that. I am sure the family is very familiar with, and probably owns the dog. Look at it this way. Would you allow a Siberian husky anywhere NEAR your small children knowing their natural born, high prey instincts? Neither a boxer or mastiff posses the natural instincts to kill that a husky has. And so what if a husky is only 65 pounds. If it turned on a toddler it could take it's life in seconds.

Just a thought