A Dogs point of view: How to hug a baby

Franklin Phil

If the dog was running around and stuff and then randomly decided to do this, I would not be happy. Its not like its a big piano falling from the sky; doesn't have the full force to crush the baby on impact. And while it is laying on the baby, it isn't smothering it, the baby isn't crying and rather looks kind of happy.

But no I'm not saying everyone should take their baby and find the biggest dog out there to make their own cute picture.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol! It's funny you say that Matthew. The part I didn't share is this dogs personal profile. His name is Brutus. He tops the scales at over 200 pounds. He is a military K9 who won the congressional medel of honor for his tour in Iraq. Does this calm you or make you more nervous lol.

Do you want to give the rest of the story or shall I just call Snopes now ....???

Okay, I want to chime in here. I think that for some reason you're thinking this baby's mother is allowing a strange 200 pound dog to lay over her baby. I certainly doubt that. I am sure the family is very familiar with, and probably owns the dog. Look at it this way. Would you allow a Siberian husky anywhere NEAR your small children knowing their natural born, high prey instincts? Neither a boxer or mastiff posses the natural instincts to kill that a husky has. And so what if a husky is only 65 pounds. If it turned on a toddler it could take it's life in seconds.

Mastiffs are often used for protection work so I don't see your point? Are you saying you would never have a Sibe anywhere near a child? ANY dog is capable of injuring a person or small child regardless of it's breed. We should encourage pet owners to teach their dogs, regardless of breed, appropriate behaviour around children (and vice versa!) and to remember that all dogs need strict supervision, socialization and training to be around children safely.

I didn't think it was a strange dog, I assumed it was likely that it was the family pet. Either way - it is not behaviour I would ever condone or encourage with ANY dog regardless of their temperament. It would take nothing for that dog to put too much weight on that baby. I don't want any dog learning that it's ok or desirable to lie like that on a baby or small child. We already have far too many dogs bite and attack children because owners allow situations like this to occur, we don't need to encourage it any further when we should be focusing on educating pet owners and parents on appropriate dog and children interactions.

ETA: Children are most likely to be bitten by the family pet or a dog known to the family.

The Brutus story is an urban myth by the way - and the dog in the pictures is not the same "Brutus" that apparently received the "congressional medal of honor". Just in case anyone was wondering :) I'd still maintain the dog in the pics is a Neo, not a boxer/mastiff cross.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/brutus.asp

ETA: Now I really am a party pooper! ;)

Ah, so we don't have to call snopes after all :D

I can't help it, I've heard that urban myth before and it really gets me every time - the dog ripped the throats out of the guards? Then opened the door? THEN untied it's handler? Then got some medal that no canine is ever recorded as receiving... LOL sure. :popcorn:

ETA: Children are most likely to be bitten by the family pet or a dog known to the family.

No, you're right. Safety and animal knowledge is key. I totally agree.

On another note:

That statistic is sooooo misleading. :) Do you see the flaw in it. It is exactly like the rediculous statistic, "Most automobile accidents happen within 10 miles of the family home" I hate dumb statistics like that. Do you see the flaw in the statistic I meantion?

Okay, I'll tell you. Of course most accidents happen within 10 miles of the family home. The average person spends 95% of his time driving within 10 miles of the family home. Obviously that is where your auto accident is likely to happen.

Similarely, of course children that are bitten most likely know the dog. Almost ALL their canine interactions are with dogs they are familiar with.

On another note:

That statistic is sooooo misleading. :) Do you see the flaw in it. It is exactly like the rediculous statistic, "Most automobile accidents happen within 10 miles of the family home" I hate dumb statistics like that. Do you see the flaw in the statistic I meantion?

Okay, I'll tell you. Of course most accidents happen within 10 miles of the family home. The average person spends 95% of his time driving within 10 miles of the family home. Obviously that is where your auto accident is likely to happen.

Similarely, of course children that are bitten most likely know the dog. Almost ALL their canine interactions are with dogs they are familiar with.

:ditto:

On another note:

Yes, that's true - but it gives those who think that if a dog is a family pet that means it would never bite their children something to think about :) and proves that even when children live with a dog, that doesn't mean they know how to read canine body language safely, or that dogs who are raised with children always interact with them appropriately.

My dogs interact with children quite regularly and it often blows me away how little many parents know about safe dog/children interactions.

I'd still maintain the dog in the pics is a Neo, not a boxer/mastiff cross.

You're probably right. I got this in an email. I normally don't (and actually didn't this time) give those emails that float around the time of day. I only posted the pictures because I thought they were cute. Later, as the replies began developing there was an opertunity to use the brutus story for comic relief. I rarely believe any of those emails, but will read them ONLY if they are short and sweet.

You're probably right. I got this in an email. I normally don't (and actually didn't this time) give those emails that float around the time of day. I only posted the pictures because I thought they were cute. Later, as the replies began developing there was an opertunity to use the brutus story for comic relief. I rarely believe any of those emails, but will read them ONLY if they are short and sweet.

They just gossip, teh lot o' 'em !

LOL that's ok, I've never actually seen the Brutus story and these pics paired together before. It does make me laugh how wacky these internet myths get!

This is the original picture and message ...k-medal-dog.jpg

The K9 above is Brutus, a military K9 at McChord. He's huge - part Boxer and part British Bull Mastiff and tops the scales at 200 lbs. His handler took the picture. Brutus is running toward me because he knows I have some Milk Bone treats, so he's slobbering away! I had to duck around a tree just before he got to me in case he couldn't stop, but he did. Brutus won the Congressional Medal of Honor last year from his tour in Iraq. His handler and four other soldiers were taken hostage by insurgents. Brutus and his handler communicate by sign language and he gave Brutus the signal that meant 'go away but come back and find me'. The Iraqis paid no attention to Brutus. He came back later and quietly tore the throat out of one guard at one door and another guard at another door. He then jumped against one of the doors repeatedly (the guys were being held in an old warehouse) until it opened. He went in and untied his handler and they all escaped. He's the first K9 to receive this honor. If he knows you're ok, he's a big old lug and wants to sit in your lap. Enjoys the company of cats.

Even ignoring the fact that the whole thing is a farce - would you want that animal coming at you with evil intent???

This is the original picture and message ...k-medal-dog.jpg

Even ignoring the fact that the whole thing is a farce - would you want that animal coming at you with evil intent???

Yea, I got that picture in my email. Though, I got a LOT more abreviated story. Like I told you, I pretty much posted everything the email had. On the other hand, if I'd gotten all that, I wouldn't have given it the time a day. Just "DELETE"

And then we all would have missed out on this riveting "Is it cute, or desturbing" debate.

Dogs and small children...

Many dogs are good with kids...many dogs are not...some children are taught how to interact with dogs...some do not...would I have trusted a dog that large (or well any dog really) to lay on my kid long enough to get a good picture? No...no I wouldn't even if it had been my pup its whole life...very small children are fairly unpredictable and without full control of their motor skills and being that size you've essentially got a baby whose probably grabbing things at random...

As for the farce story...ummm yeaaaah having been to Iraq its pretty obvious that its a hoax for a couple of reasons...1. The population there isn't too keen in general on dogs...something with training and breeding wouldn't be ignored...especially given the appearance of majority of the dogs seen wandering the streets. 2. Dogs and sign language...simple hand signals for tasks but what was used as an explanation is just a bit too out there...particularly because soldiers tend to shoot people trying to kill or capture them (even if there's a a crap ton of paperwork to go with it now) and stopping to exchange secret hand signals with a dog isn't nearly as effective as well aimed shots. 3. Quietly tearing the throat out of anyone... 4. The 'warehouses' that I've seen in Iraq are NOTHING like what they have in america and realistically it wouldn't take a person or a dog repeated jumps to knock down a door...and it would be more likely that the local popluation would disclose the location of the soldiers than that the dog would actually travel unharmed through the dessert to some unknown undisclosed location without any prior knowledge of it without being harassed, injured or distracted by wild donkeys....