Desperate for help!!!!

Also, be very careful what you give them to destroy and frankly, I wouldn't let them have anything they can rip up when you are gone. They WILL ingest it and you will end up with a dead dog or a huge vet bill from surgery. This is where crate training comes in too. They typically just sleep in their crates and don't need a bunch of toys for company. Save the toys for when you can supervise or till they are a little older and are less inclined to be so destructive. Some harder chew toys like nylabones may work when you are gone, or kong toys filled with frozen peanut butter (although not if that would cause the two of them to scuffle over it)

Taking on two adolescent huskies at the same time is definitely not for the faint of heart!

allthough i agree with what your saying about crate training.. 10 hours is a long time to be left in a crate..i know people do leave their loved ones in a prison .

.sorry cage all day when out but i don't personally agree with it. i am a strong beleiver that they should be allowed to move freely not confined in small space. apart from for travelling purposes..

and yeh Nylabones are a great thing to give them.. thanks i had actually forgot to mention them.. i have used them they are very much an item worth having ..they will love them.

as for Kongs i think you have got to try them supervised a few times and maybe if no problems then let them have one each when you go out.. when you know they won't try and fight over them. but it will tire them so they will spleep rather than get bored.

i often when i go out give mine bones..to occupy them and make them work for food.. but i know that i don't have any food issues with mine.and wouldn't advise bones for puppies just yet,,

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a very long time for them to be on their own and not have any time of stimulation.

do some research online for toys whcih are activated by a timer so at different times of day a new toy is released etc The destruction thing is down to pure boredom. Can you get someone in at lunchtime to let them out?

if your resorting to using puppy pads so they are able to go to the toilet i think it could well be hard going and confusing for them.

when your home tho do lots of mental stimulation things to help get them tired and promote your bond together. the issue you may have is they will bond so much as a pair that you dont have the bond. do things seperatly with them too

they bonded as a pair longbefore we got them. we are bonding withthem they have each claimed one of us :lovebone: as far as play goes eeither i dont know how to engage them or they have no interest.

if one each has bonded with one each of you then that is the person who should be most active and consistent in what happens etc.. if they have chosen to bond with with one of you its for a reason ..co's they trust you one more than the other .. so you need to work on that..

none of us choose our Huskies.. they choose us.. they will either work for you or they won't .. so if one works for you better than the other then use that to your advantage and if other has picked OH then make sure he does the same and uses to his advantage ..but still maintaining that they will both listen and do things for you and your OH ..

hope that made sense

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with my boy potty training. He never gave any indications and would come over and "squat". Since he wouldn't bark or scratch at the door, we tied a bell onto a string and attached it to the door nob. Every time you take him out or has an accident ring the bell as you go outside. It took him about a day to catch onto that and the accidents almost stopped. He used the bell for years and probably still would.

For the basement situation, they have indoor "litter box" with fake grass but its washable. A coworker has one for his dog but I don't know what they are actually called. Giving them a certain place they are allowed to go might help the confusion.

I know my sister gives her dog old clothes with her scent on it to help keep her dog calm, but she ties a whole bunch of nots in it. Her dog seems to know the difference between what he can play with and what's a no no (he's a husky cross). I'm a little skeptical though, my husky just tore anything I gave him apart soon as I would leave the house (when he was a pup that is).

:yikes:.........................this is going to sound mean but you did take on too much. leaving puppies alone for that much time is not acceptable. you have 2 more months before they develop very good control of their bladder, but if they are not holding it in their muscles won't grow strong enough to hold it for a long time. Now, never mind what I just said and do consider the possibility of them developing a behavioral problem. puppies alone for 10 hours with no one teaching them anything, unable to explore, feeling alone, with too much energy. They probably have "accidents" on purpose because whatever training you do with them can go out the window the next day when left alone. They can teach each other bad manners, and leaving them alone can stop them from bonding with you.

do consider having an experienced pet sitter for at least 5 hours. Trust me, it will definitely help.

I have to say to what someone wrote regarding showing them what they've done!

That imo is a waste of time.. so you get home and see business on the floor.. then get them and show them.. they'll think you're crazy! LOL:rolleyes:

The only way you can correct businessing inside the home is when you catch them first hand and when you do, rush over pick them up and take them straight outside say "wee's, poo's" and wait and if they do which ever phrase that! Punishing them or showing them wont change the fact of what happened, it is ALL supposed to be positive.

Our EP (English Pointer) puppy 11 or so weeks old is learning crate training, about 2 hours before we go to bed he is put into his crate and with every 10-15min that goes by we take him to the toilet and when he goes to bed (he sleeps in the bathroom) we have his crate open, food and water down and news paper in 1 area encase he does go toilet which he does because he cannot hold it for long periods of time!

He is 'news paper' trained, will only business on the news paper.. now i am no help because half the training i do i cannot explain how i managed for it to happen LOL!

It all happens in time and I don't agree with the possibility of them developing behavioural problems if left alone, where my huskies bad? nope.. did i leave them alone.. yes! part of life and where not all home to be watching and training all the time.

i don't think crate training would be a good idea for your two as 10 hours is too long for them to be in a crate.

I would suggest using puppy pads or newspaper so they know its okay to go in that spot because its going to take a while for them to be able to hold it for that time.

Most people do have to work full time its just a fact of life - it doesnt mean you shouldnt have a dog if you cant watch it 24/7

When we first got Willow we had her inside in the laundry/ hallway with newspaper and we had to leave her for about 8 or 9 hours and of course she had to go. We focused on making sure she always went in the right place when we were at home and as soon she could hold it and we took away the newspaper she didn't go inside. She is out in the backyard now during the day. We then got another puppy when Willow was 18 months, we had more trouble housebreaking him WITHOUT the paper as he just thought it was okay to go anywhere. I think if you keep to the schedule of putting them out in the morning when you get home after meals, at night they should start to get the hang of it but it is hard when they have no option during the day.

Thank you all! We are making huge strides. They use puppy pads now successfully inside so if we don't catch them in time they use those. We also use them at night so they can sleep with us. This has eliminated most of the accidents on the carpet. They no longer chew clothes. We got them some pork hide twisty bones that they love and 4 squeaky toys that they are rarely seen without and even take to bed with them. We are working on cleaning the basement still so not quite ready to work on the paper or puppy pad training down there yet, but should be easy since they are already used to it. *edited for spelling (used my phone before and it is a pain)

Thank you all! We are making huge strides. They use puppy pads now successfully inside so if we don't catch them in time they use those. We also use them at night so they can sleep with us. This has eliminated most of the accidents on the carpet. They no longer chew clothes. We got them some pork hide twisty bones that they love and 4 squeaky toys that they are rarely seen without and even take to bed with them. We are working on cleaning the basement still so not quite ready to work on the paper or puppy pad training down there yet, but should be easy since they are already used to it. *edited for spelling (used my phone before and it is a pain)

thats good that your taking in all the advice given..and its great that you are starting to see improvements.. well done !!!