Adopted a Husky

Andrew

I do live close to Huntington Beach! I take my terrier, Lucky, (haha, yes, a very typical name, but my mother insisted she will bring luck to the family. Thats the story behind that.) to the dog park frequently, so she can have some interaction. It was my fault since I got her when I was in high school and didnt train her properly, and didn't let her socialize; causing her to be more alert and growling at strangers. Live and learn. I plan on bringing the dogs to the beach eventually, once Ellie is properly train on command. I will most likely teach her vietnamese too, since Lucky is capable of understanding english and vietnamese.

I was thinking of having both the dogs on the leash, walking side by side, so they can familiarize with each other and oppose no threat. When they are inside, I will most likely separate them, and let Ellie adjust to the new environment, because she could be under a great deal of stress with the adjustment.

I looked into TOTW, and I will try different kinds to see which one she likes. One of the worker at the supply store, recommended 'Primal Patties', 'Raw marrow bones' for teeth, or if i'm on a budget 'Natural balance raw formulas'. Any one have any suggestions on the 'raw diet'? I've check the threads, and might consider switching to that in the end? Its still up in the air.

My cousin recently adopted a dog (Ginger) from the same shelter, and she got kennel cough. She had a bad case of fleas too and we had to give it shots and medications.

Picking up Ellie tomorrow! Will post up pics with Ellie and Lucky.

And its true....

:worthless:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally! Its been a long 3 days with Ellie, was too busy and never had time for anything else. Found out she is officially 3 years old, and lets say, she is well trained! I felt a bit sad that she wasnt able to find her previous owner since she was microchipped before the shelter found her. :( Overall she is very happy and adjusting well to my house. I took her to the dog park (forgot my camera, rawr) and she was running around like crazy. Surprisingly, she responded quite well to her new name and continues to come back and make sure I'm still around. She is wonderful with people and other dogs. She gets quite a bunch of compliments.

Taking her for a walk has been quite easy, since she doesnt pull too much, and stops when I stop. She knows how to sit, lie down, shake hand. Shes slowly learning to heel. Crate training has been quite easy, she does bark a bit, since she didn't like the confinement, makes her feel like the shelter? I'm gradually easing her into it; she slept through the night without any trouble.

I also took her grooming, and it took over 5 hours to blow all her coat. And she had quite a lot of hair when I first took her home! She looked gorgeous after they were finish, and she was super happy.

Lucky, is having a bit of trouble with Ellie. She still growls a bit, but I'm walking them together, hopefully it gets better. Here are pictures of Ellie and Lucky.

More to come! I'm taking them to the beach this weekend. Ellie seems to be attracted to the pool since every time we walk by one, she jumps up and down. Maybe she knows how to swim too? She's full of surprises..

IMG_1337.jpg

Happy to be home

IMG_1335.jpg

And Lucky! IMG_1289.jpg

Really gorgeous girly,

Welcome to the pack, really good of you to rescue, Ellie certainly looks well happy about it. When it comes to bathing, we let Boone swim whenever possible and thats it. If we go out and he gets covered in mud, within an hour he's clean again. No doggy smells from him, hardly noticable when wet, he stays beautifully clean.

:worthless: of Lucky aswell !!!

Andy & Boone