Been to the vet

mrs_aggie

DSC02487.jpg

Not the greatest pic

Well we managed to get Nikita into the Vet and although he hasnt said what it is, just to take her back Thursday I definately think its a 'hotspot' When I first saw it the other night and shaved part of her fur it was only half the size it is now. Unfortunately this is the soonest we could get her into the vet, she is so out of character and sorts at the minute. Laying feeling sorry for herself and very nearly got rehomed earlier as she snapped at Dillon and let a toothmark on his forehead (incase anyone says anything, they weren't left alone in the room together). So I was trying to decide what to do, as I'd always said the first time either dog went for one of the kids they were going, but as she's normally brilliant with him she is getting another chance. Steve said the vet cut the fur (while Steve was trying to hold her down) and has given her a few injections.

I dont get what a hotspot is???? but it looks sore and you could kinda get why she is grumpy. No excuse i know, Angel has snapped at the kids recently but she is in season and they bug her, my youngest grabs her around her neck and wont listen to anything i say. Whos fault if she gets hurt angels or hers?? probably mine lol.

What is a "hot spot"?

A hot spot is a localized area of skin inflammation and infection. The infection can be superficial or deep. Other common names for this condition include: moist dermatitis, and acute moist dermatitis

What causes a hot spot?

There is usually an inciting factor to initiate the extreme licking and scratching behavior. Look for fleas, mites, or other external parasites, an insect sting or bite, allergies (food, inhalant, contact), or injury (skin wound, scrape, etc.). Some animals have been known to "start" a hot spot out of boredom or stress-related psychological problems.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/hotspots.htm

Bella and Nikita had a bit of a fight just over a week ago, and looked like Bella had got a good nip in at one point, but when we examined both dogs couldnt find anything obvious. We think Bella's got her tail and that was the cause, as when I first saw it and shaved her fur I could see what looked like 2 teeth marks from Bella in her tail xx