Growling and getting nasty when picking her up?

HuskyHannah

does she know your sister well? i put my puppy maya down to being like this due to poor handling with her breeder .. we got her at 6 weeks aswell , her breeder focused on a couple pups and ignored the rest tbh .. dont think she got picked up or that alot .. what way are u picking her up aswell? maya will prob snap if i pick her up from the back unexpectidly

Shouldnt be picking up your puppy/dog anyways unless you really have to :P but doing the firm no should work but if shes not biting it might not really be an aggressive growl more of a "hey wtf r u doing" :P

yup thats what mayas like i remember at first being like oh my god shes agressive :jawdrop: but nup its just a wee grumble to say hey where r u puttin me! .. got to remember husky's are more vocal than other dogs :P they like to tell u if they like something or not :)

how are you picking him up?
At 10 weeks old, probably by the scruff of the neck - and I'm not surprised if that's the case and she's objecting.

Unless you really want a year old lap dog, she really belongs on the floor!

maya will prob snap if i pick her up from the back unexpectidly

This comes as a surprise? No one, dog or human, wants to be grabbed from behind.

Hannah, I may be off track here since you don't explain why you're picking her up. If it's "Oh, cute puppy!" then put her back on the floor and pet her there. If you want, let her on the couch beside you and pet her there. Some dogs don't mind being picked up, some do.

My Misty isn't enthused about me picking her up, but in the two years I've had her, she's come to accept that there are times I will - to put her on the vet table, for example. I may invite her "up" (put her paws on my leg or arm depending whether I'm sitting or standing) but she's in control of that, when she gets tired, she gets down by herself. I'm not lifting her to make her do something that's uncomfortable for her.

I think that as she becomes more comfortable with you that you will be pick her up with no problem - just at the moment, she's not that certain that this is a good thing.

Are you backing off when he growls at you over picking him up? My concern there would be that he's learning that all he has to do to get his way when it comes to not being bothered is act like a nasty bugger...

That's true, but I was operating under the impression that he might have a reason for the grumble ... without clarification, possibilities abound!

I just pick her up normally. i pick her up and hold her in my arms. I usually do this when im putting them in their cage because im crate training. I also pick her up to take her out. Shiloh is a big baby and often needs help to get up. When she growls i look her in the eyes and say no and continue to do what i was doing with her. Usually she just growls when i pick her up, i say no, and then she licks my face.

Yea your right she prob just doesnt like being picked up. She doesnt show teeth she just makes this obnoxious barking sound and growls sometimes. But then again she makes that obnoxious sound when she wants out of her cage. Shiloh is a winer but she has her attidudes. Im just worried she is gunna bite. Like if i go to pull her out from under a place she shouldnt be, she growls.

Yea your right she prob just doesnt like being picked up. She doesnt show teeth she just makes this obnoxious barking sound and growls sometimes. But then again she makes that obnoxious sound when she wants out of her cage. Shiloh is a winer but she has her attidudes. Im just worried she is gunna bite. Like if i go to pull her out from under a place she shouldnt be, she growls.

ah the grumpy no i dont want to do what u want husky growl! i have a nearly 3 year old who does that - he wouldnt bite he just seriously objects to certain things lol

I just pick her up normally. i pick her up and hold her in my arms. I usually do this when im putting them in their cage because im crate training. I also pick her up to take her out. Shiloh is a big baby and often needs help to get up. When she growls i look her in the eyes and say no and continue to do what i was doing with her. Usually she just growls when i pick her up, i say no, and then she licks my face.

Just because I'm dense - old age and all that - define "normally" for me please.

I'm also surprised that no one else commented on this. Entice her into the crate - it's not a cage - it's her home, her safe place; it's not someplace she gets put, it needs to be someplace that she sees as her private turf. My correction regarding crate -vs- cage is because of how you say it. A cage is someplace we put things from which we need protection - a zoo keeps its animals in a cage ( to protect us and them). It should be her crate (home) not a cage ....

Further to what AL Jones has said, many puppies need to be taught how to be handled. It's all well and good to say don't pick her up but there will be times she needs to be handled - grooming, vet visits etc. Examining a dog that doesn't like being handled is a PITA and can be dangerous.

Work on this like any other exercise you do in training, start just by running your hand down her back and letting her have a treat for it and progress until she's comfortable with you examining and handling her for practical reasons.