pet shipping

Markus

We looked at flying Eponine here before @Cathy got involved and ended up driving up here.

Some things to keep in mind...

Check with the carrier regarding

• temperature restrictions

• Crate requirements (in the states most carriers require that there is a way for them to give your dog water without opening said crate, also they require that the crate be large enough for the animal to stand up turn around and lay down in. Additionally, some airlines have restrictions regarding the maximum crate size they're willing to transport and several have a list of breeds for both dogs and cats that they won't transport...particularly your short nosed animals that are known for having breathing troubles due to said short snouts)

• What vaccinations are required?

• How soon does a health certificate have to be issued before flying?

• If going to another country what sort of quarantine/passport requirements for said pet are there?

That certainly isn't everything but it should be a start...whomever they use to fly should have a written list of requirements and you SHOULD be able to find reviews online re:quality of service, petcare, potential issues that have arisen with them for other people historically.

The requirements... oh, the requirements!

Stephanie sent me a list of the things I needed to take care of and... oh, the requirements! If they were printed on toilet paper, I'd be set for the next fiscal year!

I was much happier having @Cathy transport Eponine. You think your friend could work out a doggy-bus (or whatever it's called) like what we were initially planning for Eponine? Having someone who knows what they are doing, and loves doing it is much better and safer than throwing a dog at an airline with a bunch of minimum wage loaders, that don't care about quality of service. Also, I doubt having a dog in the cargo hold would be that confortable, and @Cathy said they weren't air conditioned? I'm not sure, but it sounds about right.

But yeah, it's probably not much different were you are. If getting someone to help transport isn't an option, then go to the airlines website, they should have info there.

Trey.

Now that's one job I could enjoy; travel from coast to coast, border to border with a Husky for a companion! And getting paid to do it! Who could ask for more - then reality strikes, insurance, fuel, overnighting somewhere. I don't know how much the airline would charge, but I'd think it would have to be cheaper than "special handling and delivery".

Just dawned on me - the check points at the various state borders could be a real hassle. This state requires these shots and that state requires those. Have to have these within 14 days of coming into the states and those over 3 months .... god, that could be a nightmare an a half!!!!

Just ran an estimation of coast to coast in my Jeep; gasoline alone would be $700.00 (San Francisco to Virginia Beach)

But I'm available if anyone wants!

Right now I'm still trying to decide how to pick up my future pup. They'll be in Wyoming and I'm in New Brunswick. I'd love to be able to drive down - I've been in the area before but would like time to look around this time, go see Devil's Peak on the way back through SD, go through the Black Hills again and take my time to get more pictures, etc. But the cost of fuel and days travel (four to six there, four to six back) vs. airline for one day travel to someplace closer... plus it might be around November so gotta factor in snow...

In the end, it might be cheaper for me to ship.

Right now I'm still trying to decide how to pick up my future pup. They'll be in Wyoming and I'm in New Brunswick. I'd love to be able to drive down - I've been in the area before but would like time to look around this time, go see Devil's Peak on the way back through SD, go through the Black Hills again and take my time to get more pictures, etc. But the cost of fuel and days travel (four to six there, four to six back) vs. airline for one day travel to someplace closer... plus it might be around November so gotta factor in snow...

In the end, it might be cheaper for me to ship.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the cost of shipping ????

@Al - I've no clue right now. I don't know what airline the breeder would use so I haven't looked into it. I'm going to say - and I'm erring on the side of caution - at least $1500 which will include airfare, crate and everything else. If it's less, I'm all for it, if it's more it won't be too much more I don't think. It also will depend on how close I can get to here. There's two airports close by, one half an hour the other one and a half hours. If I can't get into either of those then I am debating getting the pup flown into a US airport close by and go down to pick up the pup there instead of a place in Canada. In the end, it all depends on what's cheaper.

Just out of curiousity, where did you get the number $1,500?

It might just be my imagination, but I'm pretty sure the cost of having Eponine shipped was going to be $300? Of course, that's just shipping without the crate and all the other costs. And that's for a shorter distance, but, if I remember correctly it was going to be about that... I just can't recall were I got that number...

Trey.

@Markus

Air Canada Cargo Shipping Costs US to Canada

Air Canada Cargo Shipping Site

Customs and Immigration Information

The information below is specific to Air Canada:

Transport regulations

All documentation must satisfy all ports of entry. Shippers must have all documents prepared prior to acceptance.

International shipments

For specific import rules and regulations, as well as information on vaccination and documentation requirements when bringing animals into a particular country, always contact the embassy or consulate of your destination country.

• You must obtain all required documents, such as government approved health certificates, prior to travel. To do so, contact the consulate or embassy of each country to or through which the animal will be travelling. This includes any in-transit country if your pet is making a connection.

• Please note that local veterinary health certificates obtained from animal clinics are not sufficient to clear government veterinary inspections.

[*]All animals are inspected by government veterinary officials upon landing in any country.

• Example: If your pet is travelling to Paris via Frankfurt, it must clear animal inspection in Frankfurt before it is allowed to continue its journey to Paris. Upon arrival in Paris, it will be inspected a second time.

• Veterinary inspection fees may be charged.

Prepare your pet for travel

Before the flight

Once within our care, pets are brought to specialized rooms for safety and comfort and are transported to the airplane in dedicated vehicles. In order to further minimize the stress of travelling, we recommend the following:

1. Make sure you have a confirmed reservation with Air Canada Cargo and that all other travel arrangements are made and confirmed prior to departure.

2. Ensure you have an IATA approved kennel that is the right size for your pet. See the "Choosing the right kennel" section below.

3. Purchase the kennel in advance so as to allow your pet to become accustomed to the kennel well before the flight. Also, place your pet's favourite toy or other item in the kennel.

4. Clearly indicate your pet's name on the outside of the kennel, and use zip ties AND bolts to secure the top and bottom portions of the kennel/container together. Clips alone will not be accepted.

5. Make sure your pet gets plenty of exercise, and feed it a light meal and water two hours before leaving home.

6. Do not sedate your pet. Sedative drugs can be dangerous for your pet, as drugs act differently under different atmospheric pressures. Please consult your veterinarian for more information.

Choosing the right kennel

The measurements below are based on the animal standing in a natural position

kenneldim.jpg

A = length of animal from nose to root of tail.

B = height from ground to elbow joint.

C = width across musters.

D = height of animal in standing position.

The length of the kennel must be equal to A + 1/2 B.

The width of the kennel must be equal to C x 2.

The height of the kennel (top flat or arched) must be equal to D.

Number of pets per kennel

The number of pets allowed per kennel varies according to your origin or destination, as well as the age and size of your pet.

Travel to/from the U.S.

Pet 8 weeks to 6 months old Up to 2 pets per kennel provided each animal weighs less than 9 kg (20 lb).

Pet over 6 months old 1 pet per kennel

All other origins or destinations

Pet weighing up to 14 kg (30 lb) Up of two adult dogs or cats of comparable size per kennel, provided they are used to cohabitation.

Pet over 14 kg (30 lb) 1 pet per kennel

Cats or dogs from the same litter Up to three cats or dogs from the same litter can be shipped in the same kennel provided:

• they are no more than six months old, and

• the kennel is large enough (see "Choosing the right kennel section" above)

Wasn't me who said that. I honestly don't know how they control the climate in the holds, whether on the ground or in the air.

Yeah, I must have read it somewhere.... idk, don't quote me on it then.

Hmm, well it says something here: https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/airplane.htm Not sure how reliable of a page that is, it looks kinda old/sketchy, but I doubt they would control the climate in the cargo hold, putting live animals there is really just an after thought. And it's designed for luggage.

So, after investigating further: http://www.theamericandogmag.com/dog-law/is-it-safe-for-pets-to-fly-in-cargo "the cargo area - where live animals are kept - is pressurized and temperature-controlled only during flight. Cargo temperatures can fluctuate dramatically during pre and post flight delays" Alright, so they do control it, but we all know how flight delays happen.

Not trying to scare anyone away, just pointing out the risks. As with everything theres going to be horror stories, and you're only going to hear those, so it be blown out of proportion a bit, but its still risky and I would look into alternatives.

Also, this doesn't help: "We haven't heard more stories like Iagan's because the laws that govern animal reporting are recent and don't apply to all animals that fly. Only since 2005 has the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) required airlines to report the loss, injury or death of animals in transit."

And from that, I've just scared myself away from shipping dogs via airline... I'd still do it if I had to, but only if I had to.

Trey.