internet explorer users have lower IQ

davidjk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

IE surfers were found to have an average IQ lower than people using Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Users of Camino and Opera rated highest.The report has sparked anger from IE supporters, who have threatened AptiQuant with legal action.

Researchers gave over 100,000 web surfers a free online IQ test. Scores were stored in a database along with each person's web browser data.The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120.

AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.

I use google chrome so i guess i am ok

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of rubbish :facepalm:

I use Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, dependant on which computer Im on and which one I can be bothered to open.

I don't think my IQ is effected over a computer program I use, thats just silly.

Stacey xxx

I think your right Stacy I don't think yours could be effected :motorbike:

What a load of rubbish :facepalm:

I use Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, dependant on which computer Im on and which one I can be bothered to open.

I don't think my IQ is effected over a computer program I use, thats just silly.

Stacey xxx

I think it has more to do with that people with a lower IQ have a bigger change of using the whatever browser is installed by default on the computer - which is Internet Explorer. Those with a higher IQ look for a better option and know how to install and use it?

I think it has more to do with that people with a lower IQ have a bigger change of using the whatever browser is installed by default on the computer - which is Internet Explorer. Those with a higher IQ look for a better option and know how to install and use it?

I suppose but to be fair, internet explorer isn't that bad. It's improved a lot over the years. Im using internet explorer right now and have about 15 tabs open, somehow I dont think that makes me have a lower IQ.

I think your right Stacy I don't think yours could be effected :motorbike:

Awww thanks for noticing I'm awesome Dunc!

Stacey xxx

Sounds like Opera and Camino are short of users. Neat marketing scam!

Mick

I agree, and I recon this is likely to have come from the Opera camp. Also IMO anyone using Opera is completely clueless so wouldnt believe them stats at all. It has extremely bad support for CSS3, and on top of everything else it would be one of the last browsers that web designers would check for compatibility so they would be on a losing streak straight away.

I agree, and I recon this is likely to have come from the Opera camp. Also IMO anyone using Opera is completely clueless so wouldnt believe them stats at all. It has extremely bad support for CSS3, and on top of everything else it would be one of the last browsers that web designers would check for compatibility so they would be on a losing streak straight away.

Yup, back when I was doing web development, I HATED Opera. Nothing just worked. I just said "screw it!". I could have spent a couple of days making my site degradable for a crappy browser, or I could just use CSS3 the way it was meant to be".

And, let's all face it, I.E. is total crap. It doesn't lower your IQ, it just means you're not aware of the security problems, the slooooowness, and the freaking headache is it to make a site support both IE and any other browser.

IE 9 on the other hand, isn't as bad. It's still going to be the least secure, because if computers ship with it, then it will have the majority of users, and that's the target. But it's nothing like ie 7, or god-forbid ie 8...

Trey.

Which is really bad! I used to use Opera, through about 8, all the time becasue it WAS the best browser around, imo (at the time). I've now jumped to Minefield (Firefox for x64) and after a recent update have no problems with it at all.

I currently use chromium (The browser the chrome project is based on) and, on linux, I'd take it over firefox anyday. Firefox has HORRIBLE linux support. But chromonium (and subsequently chrome) have inline autocompletion, which completes searches based on previous ones, example:

I search: "Border Collie tricks"

Then if I search "Border collie", it automatically types in "border collie tricks", and if I don't hit space or backspace before enter, thats what I get.

It's really rediculus, nobody likes it, and it doesn't even sound good on paper...

But, thats NOTHING compared to how horrible firefox 5 is on linux, and I don't want to use firefox 3.5, so I use chromium.

Trey.

I currently use chromium (The browser the chrome project is based on) and, on linux, I'd take it over firefox anyday. Firefox has HORRIBLE linux support. But chromonium (and subsequently chrome) have inline autocompletion, which completes searches based on previous ones, example:

I search: "Border Collie tricks"

Then if I search "Border collie", it automatically types in "border collie tricks", and if I don't hit space or backspace before enter, thats what I get.

It's really rediculus, nobody likes it, and it doesn't even sound good on paper...

But, thats NOTHING compared to how horrible firefox 5 is on linux, and I don't want to use firefox 3.5, so I use chromium.

Trey.

Odd. I have it the exact opposite. Firefox is the one that works very good for me, while Chrome (and Chromium) has lots of issues. For example, right now I have a persistent bookmarkbar that just won't GO AWAY! It doesn't hide. I need to tick the "always show bookmarkbar" two times every time I start Chrome in order to remove it from my view. It doesn't blend it with my themes as well :(

Odd. I have it the exact opposite. Firefox is the one that works very good for me, while Chrome (and Chromium) has lots of issues. For example, right now I have a persistent bookmarkbar that just won't GO AWAY! It doesn't hide. I need to tick the "always show bookmarkbar" two times every time I start Chrome in order to remove it from my view. It doesn't blend it with my themes as well :(

What version of firefox? 5 was a nightmare, nothing would integrate for me, and it had a bunch of random glitches.

What version of firefox? 5 was a nightmare, nothing would integrate for me, and it had a bunch of random glitches.

Firefox 5 yes, on a 64bit system. Have been running 5 since beta (I believe), at least before the actual release.

I'm with the other dev-guys about Opera. In my experience it's even worse than IE7 when developing a website using proper standards.

In either way, turned out the research was a complete hoax. The company claims to exist for 6 years while the website itself was only created a month ago. Some think it was a test to see if news companies would take over this fake news. If that's true, than they quite succeeded in that :P