Slang

Nicole

iv noticed alot of people on here mentioning slang , so i thought why not make a post on all the different slangs around the world? well im a wee weedgie :D and if you were to talk to me face to face you would prob not understand one word as i talk fast .. lol on here i type properly aswell .. i have a bad habbit of using slang alot.. hey where im from thats all us young yins dae(young ones do) :D lol heres a few slang words from my neck of the woods :P

ken - means i know

how means why

aye means yes

yin means one

fur means for

wine means buckfast

bolt means go away :P

and heres a lil video :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

only ones i can think off

Cushty = meaning good / ok

Nixes = nothing

chaddy = means scruffy (thats a long story and i actually know who started that saying and about who and was strangly smiling when about 20 years later i started to hear it everywhere).

sweet = nice

safe = ok normally used as in yeh im ok

bruv = mate /friend

mush ( as in push) = male

moose = ugly women

diesel dike - butch women probably a lesbian

i know there is more but the brain has gone dead :lolman:

hmmm not really slang but i have a strong sarrfuk (suffolk) accent apparently lol

Umm my dads a scotsman so we have

- 'Hen' - girl/woman (ya alright hen?)

- 'greetin'- crying/wingeing (stop ya greetin)

- 'wee' - small

cant think of any more atm

Y'all = means you, as in one person

All y'all = everyone, or more than one person

aye, and that's a yank for ya.

you is singular

y'all is plural

simple as that.

Talking to a child ... you go clean up your room!

Talking to all your kids ... y'all go clean up your rooms!

and a lots of luck with that ....

So what is a buckfast (other than swiping someone elses dollar - quickly!!) ??

Oh hell, I am a Yankee, so what do I know? Lol. Just trying to remember what I was taught by some good friends in Atlanta 30 years ago. :)

Hey! I got one for ya!!

Pop = carbonated beverage.

Now come on Al, contribute.

Yeh, well you got me looking at the various dictionaries. It's not quite as cut and dried as I use it either ...

There's always the question: What is that thing in the store you put groceries in.

Northeast US: a bag

Central / west?: sack

South (but dieing out): a poke

Bet those folks over the pond have a few different ones as well.

Once, several years ago, I went to San Francisco for a computer conference (HP 3000). One of the fellows there, with who I'd corresponded in writing for a couple of years, was from New Zealand. When we met face to face neither of us could understand a word the other was saying! I kid you not, we had to get one of the Aussies to translate English to English for us!

Oh hell, I am a Yankee, so what do I know? Lol. Just trying to remember what I was taught by some good friends in Atlanta 30 years ago. :)

Hey! I got one for ya!!

Pop = carbonated beverage.

Now come on Al, contribute.

In different parts of the country, that carbonated beverage is a soda, others a soda pop, and others call every one of them a Coke.

Once, several years ago, I went to San Francisco for a computer conference (HP 3000). One of the fellows there, with who I'd corresponded in writing for a couple of years, was from New Zealand. When we met face to face neither of us could understand a word the other was saying! I kid you not, we had to get one of the Aussies to translate English to English for us!

lmao!!! I can definitely believe that! The accents are very very different

I live in Leeds but was born in Glasgow and lived there till I was 7. I still visit regularly, and sometimes I forget what stuff means haha

Ginger - juice

Chap - knock on Someones door (e.g Go chap the door and see if Emmas in)

Weans (not actually sure how you spell that one? It's pronounced like the name Wayne) - kids

Greet - cry

Wheesht - shut up

Mockit / boggin - dirty

Hen - term of endearment

ps - buckfast is the name of the wine ;) it's nasty stuff :P

oh my i cant beleive yous all dont know what buckfast is :D , its a drink which was made in england .. leathal , you see all the neds with it , i swear i have never drank it :oops: haha how can i lie? yes i have :( that and mad dog? and oh a fine bottle of skeg? do yous know that? lol

post-5918-13586082998106_thumb.jpg theres pic of the buckfast " tonic wine" lol ..

also some other glasgow slang

munter - ugly person

steaming - means really drunk

bairn - child

onit - means drinking

post-5311-135859809088_thumb.jpg