TECHY HELP NEEDED

great thanks andy way to go cheer me up :(

Awww, sorry.

just forewarning just in case people still continue to get offers for "help".

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with @Dazzlin and others that said get rid of norton. Its expensive and useless. AVG is free and 10 times better. However, me thinks that now that there's already a virus on your computer, the house is already on fire. Kind of too late to instal AVG Smoke detectors no matter how effective they are.

Truth be told, in my experience, time to start saving everything you want to keep and REFORMAT. this is one solution that works everytime. @Marc am I wrong?

You are correct, however for most sadly its not an option for no other reason that not knowing where to start.

What kind of email account is it? Is it a windows livemail account and do you use messenger on any other computers?

You are correct, however for most sadly its not an option for no other reason that not knowing where to start.

What kind of email account is it? Is it a windows livemail account and do you use messenger on any other computers?

aol and no i dont use messenger

I've had someone who uses my private address upon occasion. But the only thing that is legitimate is my user name, everything else has been forged. It's entirely possible that this email is not coming from either you or AOL, but from someone who is forging your user id.

If most of the people on your address book are receiving these "helpful"message, I'd agree with Andy when he said:

if they've had access to your address book, they may have cloned it

and may well still be sending stuff out in your name.

I am interested in your comment that they "trying to send it again" - what do you see that tells you that?

Also what are you using form mail, something like outlook / outlook express or are you using one of the email interfaces?

I've had someone who uses my private address upon occasion. But the only thing that is legitimate is my user name, everything else has been forged. It's entirely possible that this email is not coming from either you or AOL, but from someone who is forging your user id.

If most of the people on your address book are receiving these "helpful"message, I'd agree with Andy when he said:

I am interested in your comment that they "trying to send it again" - what do you see that tells you that?

Also what are you using form mail, something like outlook / outlook express or are you using one of the email interfaces?

aol.co.uk , I know because for some reason there was unsent mail noticfications in my inbox which means people may have blocked me from their mails! :(

I'm going to make one suggestion and then bow out here.

Clean up your aol inbox / inbox / spam and trash folders - then stop using that account. See if anything else "pops up".

What you might also do is to forward one of the messages that your family received to one of us and let us look at the headers and see how that message actually got into the works.

The reason for my bowing out - I have almost no experience with aol, I have an aol account but haven't used it in years.

I'm going to make one suggestion and then bow out here.

Clean up your aol inbox / inbox / spam and trash folders - then stop using that account. See if anything else "pops up".

What you might also do is to forward one of the messages that your family received to one of us and let us look at the headers and see how that message actually got into the works.

The reason for my bowing out - I have almost no experience with aol, I have an aol account but haven't used it in years.

thing is i dont want anyone to get it into their system

The only thing that norton makes that's any good is the norton utilities for apple mac computers to rebuild the hard drive map other than that it's a waste of money !!! I'd rather have no antivirus software than norton.

I'd back up your files format the computer and start again clean and install a decent antivirus software before installing any other software

I don't think it's her computer. If avg and malwarebytes come up clean then my money's on someone forging headers - with her address book. I've asked if she can send headers and let me take a look at the path, etc.

I'm glad we're all in general agreement about Norton. Waaaaay back when Peter was writing / in charge of his own products they were great. Since he sold out, eventually to Symantec, they aren't worth the powder to blow them up.

thankyou to all you guys. Did all suggested. ditched norton, nothing was found malicious on the scans. ALso ditched internet explorer for google chrome as IE was driving me nuts!

Ive never trusted IE, security is crap on it, ive always used firefox with Adblock Plus addon....safe as houses.

Like others are suggesting just close down the email account and open another and maybe format your computer in case youve been hacked for the safest bet, its easy enough to do.....if you know how i suppose :cool:

Okay, I'll do this here since it might interest all concerned.

It was not her computer ... though the fact that it contains many addresses from her address book is a matter of concern.

The message that she's referring to was (supposedly) dumped into AOL from Mexico, however the IP points directly to Viet Nam. My impression from this is that whole message was forged, while is an irritation, it's not a major security breach of her system. And little that she can do at this point except close that user ID - which may not solve the problem if the perp is forging the whole message header.

The first line in the path looks like:

Received: from mtaomg-ma05.r1000.mx.aol.com (mtaomg-ma05.r1000.mx.aol.com [172.29.41.12])

Louise, I'd suggest that you learn how to use BCC (that's blind carbon copy) if you're going to be sending messages to groups of people. By doing that the only address in the message is each single person rather than the group. Obviously at some point in the past either a message with these addressees was intercepted by or forwarded to a spam trap or you address book (on AOL?) was compromised.

The norm for a spammer is to send messages to EVERYONE in your address book, if this went only to a "select few" I'd suggest that the message just got shuffled of to the aforementioned spam trap.

Hope this helps //al

Okay, I'll do this here since it might interest all concerned.

It was not her computer ... though the fact that it contains many addresses from her address book is a matter of concern.

The message that she's referring to was (supposedly) dumped into AOL from Mexico, however the IP points directly to Viet Nam. My impression from this is that whole message was forged, while is an irritation, it's not a major security breach of her system. And little that she can do at this point except close that user ID - which may not solve the problem if the perp is forging the whole message header.

The first line in the path looks like:

Received: from mtaomg-ma05.r1000.mx.aol.com (mtaomg-ma05.r1000.mx.aol.com [172.29.41.12])

Louise, I'd suggest that you learn how to use BCC (that's blind carbon copy) if you're going to be sending messages to groups of people. By doing that the only address in the message is each single person rather than the group. Obviously at some point in the past either a message with these addressees was intercepted by or forwarded to a spam trap or you address book (on AOL?) was compromised.

The norm for a spammer is to send messages to EVERYONE in your address book, if this went only to a "select few" I'd suggest that the message just got shuffled of to the aforementioned spam trap.

Hope this helps //al

thanks very much for the help Al.