Gentle leader - OMG!!!

Smiler

Hi!

I made a mistake when I got Harley (only in one respect!) as I taught him to pull straight away, got him up and running canicross and bike joring straight away...he loves it!

The only problem was he wasn't trained to walk loose lead, and here I was training him to pull. So over the last three months I've worked my ass off getting him loose lead (75% of time) and for the last few weeks to heel (50% of time on last stretch back!) and I can now easily keep him safely under control on the lead in any situation easily without effort. Though I'm also 6' and a professional sportsman (semi-retired), so I have a bit of an advantage.

My wife's little though, and my Mum's getting on a bit, and there will be the odd time when I can't workwalk Harley, so need a back up. I, and my wife, both want her to walk Harley too. And whereas I'm fine with Harley he can be a handful for the others...

I'm still going to be paying a canine behaviourist to teach my wife how to walk Harley loose lead off a collar, though I have found a brilliant solution - the gentle leader. Why didn't I give it a go before?!? Its amazing!

Borrowed one off my friendly pet shop owner, Harley was more than happy after a few rubs with his paw to have it on - tried his usual darting off a couple of times to no avail, and that was it! He walks easily and effortlessly beside me, to heel, completely loose lead, the gentle leader loose too. He even contained himself when a cat hissed at him out of a bush - no worries, single hand, no tension.

I'm now going to be quite comfortable with wifey and my Mum taking him out for walks on their own - and I know Harley will love the additional exercise too!

I would recommend anyone who's dog pulls to give them a go, I am just amazed at how well Harley responded. I would recommend a collar and a second lead too (I use my canicross bungee clipped to his collar and my belt) as I believe it may be possible to slip out of it by chance if throwing a right 'spaz'.

You also just need to 'contain' rather than pull or tug with it, otherwise you'll be being cruel I think. And just by doing what it's called - gentle leading - I am amazed at the response from Harley. Far more gentle than walking him off a slip collar, far more gentle than walking him off his usual collar too. Wish I'd found it earlier!

He's able to complety open his mouth, drink, pant, sniff...all under control - perfect!

Just thought I'd share!

Best regards,

Smiler

We use a gentle leader on Dexter, and he walks loose lead no problems at all. Occasionally at the beginning he use to paw at it, but now he's as good as gold!

Although at the recent Suffolk Dog Day, one of the stalls had a dog behaviourist who was trying to sell me his own designed collar and lead, and saying gentle leaders don't work! We tried it on Dex, and sure enough he didn't pull, but then neither does he with a gentle leader, and he walks to heel anyway!

I think they are great!

301-jpg.16396

Yer I use that as well need another one as hollie throught it would be fun to chew it when we were out she never chews but she was going to chew it up so she didn't have to wear it lol. I brought 2 canny collars and ice and jaz hated it and gus kept slipping his even know it on tight the bugger. I only use it on the rare occasion now but still want another one just incase lol.

We used Halti's on ours whilst training them to walk loose lead.

Whilst it's not a quick fix, the immediate results as far as curbing the dragging and pulling

are very helpful.

All 3 of ours are now just on normal semi-slip collars.

While they have a bit of a 'Tug' for the first few minutes of the walk

(simply because they are excited about the walk) they soom settle and I can walk all 3 of mine

with one hand. :)