new owner starting to panic

Nikki Bridgeman

awww well done on rescuing him!!! he looks purebred but im not an expert on that so go with what the others say =p

also about wanting to be alone when we first got bella she never wanted cuddles or to lie with us and now she will jump on the bed n lie between each night before we got to sleep for cuddles! and sits on the couch with us

so i think it just takes time once he gets used to u and realises you love him and are going to take care of him he will be more comfortable and want to be around u more n more

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, right! And some dogs are just born to be independent. My Misty lays by me while she's inside and I'm working; she may occasionally crawl up into the recliner to get some attention; most of the time she's off in her own little world.

They (Husky's) definitely don't resemble the Lab who has to be right there, underfoot all the time.

(( Okay, now everyone else can tell me how clingy *your* Husky is!! ))

Yeh, right! And some dogs are just born to be independent. My Misty lays by me while she's inside and I'm working; she may occasionally crawl up into the recliner to get some attention; most of the time she's off in her own little world.

They (Husky's) definitely don't resemble the Lab who has to be right there, underfoot all the time.

(( Okay, now everyone else can tell me how clingy *your* Husky is!! ))

Haha, Tikka is like a velcro-dog :D If I'm at the computer, she's laying at my feet. If I move 5 feet to the sofa, she has to move too. I think she's just worried she'll miss something really exciting if she isn't touching me at all times. I wish I could go to the bathroom without her laying against the door :rolleyes:

Haha, Tikka is like a velcro-dog :D If I'm at the computer, she's laying at my feet. If I move 5 feet to the sofa, she has to move too. I think she's just worried she'll miss something really exciting if she isn't touching me at all times. I wish I could go to the bathroom without her laying against the door :rolleyes:

You mean you can keep her OUT of the bathroom?????

I thought I regained bathroom privileges when my youngest turned three. Now. . ..

Mals never, ever have blue eyes do they? It would be impossible for a Mal to cross with a Sibe and result in a blue-and-green bi-eyed dog if the Mals never have blue eyes.

I don't know much about Mals but did read in a breed book that they never have blue eyes.

ive seen a mal sibe cross with blue eyes i think she was 3/4 sibe 1/4 mal though!!

If we were to get another husky, what sort of age would stitch need to be?

He just seems so desperate to play with other dogs when we're out walking.

Sorry about all the questions by the way, I don't mean to get on anyone's nerves :)

my kobi loves to play with other dogs, try to find a dog walk/field near by where you can safely let him play with other dogs. its also an excellent way to tire them out!! luckily we run a pub so people bring there dogs to play with him in our large beer garden he loves it:)

You mean you can keep her OUT of the bathroom?????

I thought I regained bathroom privileges when my youngest turned three. Now. . ..

I know exactly whet you mean,he he!!

I forget to lock the bathroom door and my boys take it in turns running in to hurry me along!!

They want to know everything and are so cheeky!:D

They make me smile all the time though.

Hi everyone!

We got our first husky 5 weeks ago, and before we did, I spent a lot of time doing my research and learning about the breed because we we're planning to get a pup from a local breeder, but then we heard about an 11 month old in desperate need of a home. We went to see him and two things happened, we fell in love with him and wanted to take him home, and we realised what appalling conditions he was living in and wanted to rescue him from there. He came to us in quite a state, he was riddled with fleas, behind on all vet treatments, and even though he was in the middle of shedding, I don't think he'd ever seen a brush. I was unable to get him to the vet until 2 weeks after we'd had him, and by that time he had gained quite a lot of weight already, at the vet's appointment I was told he was 3kg under a healthy weight even after the increase we had seen.

He's getting a lot better already, he seems like a different dog. From the way his behaviour has changed I assume he's happy with us and feels safe. But I'm still really worried about a lot of things, and don't know any other owners.

First of all, can any one tell from the pics if he is pure husky or crossed with another breed?

[ATTACH=full]17242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]17244[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]17243[/ATTACH]

Is His pink nose normal? He seems to be constantly trying to relieve itching around the nose, he rubs it against everything; carpet, furniture, kitchen floor tiles even me!

Another thing that worries me is he seems happy enough to just go and lay in another room, typically when we are in the lounge, he'll be sprawled out in the kitchen. He doesn't seem to mind if he's near us or not. Is this normal? And should I move his bed to the kitchen?

The other thing is that he's a puller, harnesses haven't worked, and he came with a choke chain (which I threw in the bin the day we got him as I personally can't stand them) I've had to resort to getting a canny collar ( the one that has a strap over the nose) And i'm worried that this is bad for him, the pet shop owner said that it was painless, and it probably is, but is it hurting him emotionally?

Thank you for taking the time to help one very worried parent. I'd appreciate any advice whatsoever :) x

:welcome:

What a lovely boy!There is no greater feeling than rescuing a husky,but beware.....it does become addictive and you will find yourself wanting another!

They change your life and make you look at things differently,teach you about yourself,I love them and couldn't imagine being without a Sibe.

They can be challenging due to their intelligence and strong independent streak and training can be difficult at times,but giving them calm ,solid leadership and direction will build trust and respect and a bond that cannot be broken.

It can be difficult when first dealing with the strength of a pulling husky and there are many devices and techniques that can be used.

:dog3:

My boys were both left caged for hours in their previous homes,so were like wild animals when I first took them out!!

My newest addition ,Blue did not know what anything was,the birds ,trees,leaves,he was in awe of everything.

Goodness only knows what awful start he had to life.It broke my heart when I saw his little body marked and scarred.

Enough of the sadness!!!!!:cry1:He is amazing now and so happy.

I found the most effective for me was to stand totally still when my boys pulled.Wait until they release the tension in the lease and they will then sit down.

I praise this response then walk again,as soon as the pulling begins again,stop immediatly .It may take numerous attempts and you must remain calm and patient,but once they get the message it works.

Each dog is different so some respond quicker than others to this technique.

I also feel that using a walking belt is so much easier for this training and more comfortable for the human too.You have more control and are not pulling with all your might,but can hold still with the trunk of your body.

The past comments about diet are all good tips.

A good quality food is an important part of your dogs wellbeing.There are a lot of nutritional ones out there if you research.

Once your vet has given your boy a good health check you will know if there are any deficiencies in his diet.

Many huskies can have zinc defienciencies and this can affect healing and skin conditions also.

When I got my first Husky,I had to search for a food that included zinc for this reason.I never looked back.I also use a salmon oil supplement for both my Huskies from time to time to prevent dry skin and promote glossy fur.

Just be aware of not overdosing on certain vitamins by always reading the labels of food and supplements(Just like for us humans!:))

Most good quality kibble contains sufficient vitamins and nutrients.

As previously said by others,it would be advisable to wait until your lovely boy has settled before adding another Sibe to your pack.

That way you can get on top of his training and have him as a good calm role model.

Good luck with everything and well done for opening your heart and home to a Husky!:goodjob:

He looks full Sibe to me, I don't see any Mal in him myself, but you couldn't really be totally sure if there's something mixed in there. Lovely boy though :)

With regards to eye colors, you can have a Sibe x Mal with blue eyes, depends on the parents. I have two Sibe x Mal boys and their dad has blue eyes, and they do too. The girls in the litter look more like small Mals and have her brown almondy shaped eyes. No pure Mal will ever have blue or green eyes, but with crosses, funny things can happen :)

• 2 weeks later...