my husky has the runs

mishkablueeyes

hi there my husky is now 7 months old. im at the end of my teather. if tryed royal cannon and that gave him the runs. so i put im on wag for working dogs and that also gave him the runs. now he has been on lamb rice and kibble for just over a month and he still keeps having the runs. no i now huskys have week stomachs but this is taking the mick. i just dont now what else to do.

a few weeks ago he went realy ill being sick and again with the runs. i rushed him down the vets at 12pm at night the vet said he may have picked something dead up from the field. he gave him some jabs and some chork med which did help for a wile. but no longer than a week and he was back to having the runs. he also wont put any weight on. im starting to think that he may have a problemb. any help would be great as this is getting out of hand.

many thanks alan

post-3498-13585981579774_thumb.jpg

How much are you feeding him and how often. ??

Sometimes (especially in pups) overfeeding can cause the runs.

A quick fix for the runs is to starve for 12-24 hrs

then boiled rice (acts as a filler to make them feel more full) and RAW chicken wings.

When they are solid again continue the rice and Chicken but slowly / gradually repalce the rice with kibble.

How much are you feeding him and how often. ??

Sometimes (especially in pups) overfeeding can cause the runs.

A quick fix for the runs is to starve for 12-24 hrs

then boiled rice (acts as a filler to make them feel more full) and RAW chicken wings.

When they are solid again continue the rice and Chicken but slowly / gradually repalce the rice with kibble.

how many chicken wings do you give to them and how much rice

Mine are fed twice per day and get 3/4 of a cup (american) or approx 200ml of kibble.

(a cup is a measure of volume not of weight)

+ 2 chicken wings.

Aww poor baby.. :-(

Rico is 10 months and he has his biscuits down all day for him to eat as he pleases he has science plan large puppy ( not alot of people like it but RICO settled much better on this) and it's about 2 cup full a day .. At tea time he will have rice, 2 slices of bread ,with veg (carrots collie broccoli) with raw chicken breasts or lambs liver or tuna .. In the morning he also likes jam on toast for his breakfast with us .. He is spoilt really.. Haha..

If rico has to much of dairy or peas or broccoli it gives him the runs to so I'll usually give him some toast , just think maybe what could work for you or your child (if you have one) if you had the trotts..

Hope he is ok :-)

X Angie & Rico X

When Mishka was younger she had the runs a lot. Turned out I was over feeding her :( my fault! (plus when she came into season she had the trotts)

She was on Country Choice - 'Gelert' 'puppy/junior' & after I realised I was over feeding her & corrected it, she settled on it fine. She's recently blown her coat & seemed very thin so I took her to the vet on Thursday night.

He said she should be on adult food & to DOUBLE her food & gave her a worming tablet just in case it was that (although I haven't seen anything)

She's just come upto 12 months old . She's eating well but she's 'squirting' again (probably due to how much food she's now having). I have wondered if she's squirting because of the worming tablet or even perhaps she's due to come into season again soon but it's most likely too much food.

I'm now feeding her 'Gelert' adult mixed with boiled rice (not measuring it because she needs to bulk up at mo) but I've started giving her smaller meals more often & she seems to be stabilising.

I was advised by the vet to avoid raw meat as it's mostly protein & would result in more squirts.

Boiled rice & cooked chicken breast works well if you don't want to starve them as I found out with Mishka when she was younger;)

Ok this is my take. The foods you've been feeding him (Royal Canin and wagg) they have wheat in them. Aya has a gluten and wheat intollerance and we have to make sure she doesn't get table scraps. She is on a hypoallergenic food.

Foods you can try (dry and wet)

Wainwrites dry or wet (hypoallergenic)

Arden Grange (check the ingrediants as some of them are diffirent) Turkey and rice is a good one.

Butchers wet (I know nothing of the dry)

There are other hypoallergenic foods but you need to check the ingrediants these are ones I've tried myself and I know they work for my girl. They can be more expensive (you can buy ardengrange in bulk which makes it cheaper) but it is worth it. Huskies are known for having intollerances from what I have read. It is not uncomon with the breed. We only started feeding comertial dog foods recently most people used to feed raw back when my nan was a kid.

Keep at it, I know it can be hard but when you find the right food it will be worth it.

Guest Hollow

Doesn't sound pleasant. I have to say a couple of things that worry me about other peoples posts first off. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, or if it doesn't apply to Huskies because of some specific trate of the breed or something, but dogs are not supposed to eat chicken bones. Chicken bones (And other foul bones) are thin, and brittle and they snap in tiny little shards, which can then cause a lot of problems for the dog. Red Meat Bones are fine, like Beef & Lamb, but chicken, duck and turkey bones are a big no no for dogs.

Now the following, may make no sense at all for a Husky, as someone has mentioned the breed is known for intolerances and if the dog is intolerant of wheat, this will be no good, however..... our last labrador had the runs and no matter what we did, we couldn't cure it. He didn't like dried food, but even when we got him to eat it, the runs continued, we tried various old wives tails and nothing, but nothing, would get rid of the runs. Eventually we were given a tip by a guy who had a Collie, he said, cook up some pasta (He said and we used penne because we always have penne in the house, but I assume any pasta is fine) so it's just a little bit past al'dente and mix it in with a red meat dog food, i.e. not fish and not foul, but beef or lamb (the protein and other factors in the red meat, work with the carbs in the pasta etc.). This worked an absolute treat, not only did his runs stop, but he gained more control over his bowel and he started to gain weight a little, whilst still having tonnes of energy because of the carbs.

Another tip I picked up years ago, that has worked for all my dogs and which has two benefits, is to mix a little olive oil in with the food, this helps them digest their food a little better, and also has the added benefit of giving a little more shine to the coat. We're only talking a teaspoon of olive oil here, not lashings of it though, but in every meal.

Ok this is my take. The foods you've been feeding him (Royal Canin and wagg) they have wheat in them. Aya has a gluten and wheat intollerance and we have to make sure she doesn't get table scraps. She is on a hypoallergenic food.

Foods you can try (dry and wet)

Wainwrites dry or wet (hypoallergenic)

Arden Grange (check the ingrediants as some of them are diffirent) Turkey and rice is a good one.

Butchers wet (I know nothing of the dry)

There are other hypoallergenic foods but you need to check the ingrediants these are ones I've tried myself and I know they work for my girl..

This is true & the Country Choice 'Gelert' Mishka's on is exactly the same content as Arden Grange but a lot cheaper ;)http://www.gelert-petnutrition.co.uk/

Doesn't sound pleasant. I have to say a couple of things that worry me about other peoples posts first off. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, or if it doesn't apply to Huskies because of some specific trate of the breed or something, but dogs are not supposed to eat chicken bones. Chicken bones (And other foul bones) are thin, and brittle and they snap in tiny little shards, which can then cause a lot of problems for the dog. Red Meat Bones are fine, like Beef & Lamb, but chicken, duck and turkey bones are a big no no for dogs.

Now the following, may make no sense at all for a Husky, as someone has mentioned the breed is known for intolerances and if the dog is intolerant of wheat, this will be no good, however..... our last labrador had the runs and no matter what we did, we couldn't cure it. He didn't like dried food, but even when we got him to eat it, the runs continued, we tried various old wives tails and nothing, but nothing, would get rid of the runs. Eventually we were given a tip by a guy who had a Collie, he said, cook up some pasta (He said and we used penne because we always have penne in the house, but I assume any pasta is fine) so it's just a little bit past al'dente and mix it in with a red meat dog food, i.e. not fish and not foul, but beef or lamb (the protein and other factors in the red meat, work with the carbs in the pasta etc.). This worked an absolute treat, not only did his runs stop, but he gained more control over his bowel and he started to gain weight a little, whilst still having tonnes of energy because of the carbs.

Another tip I picked up years ago, that has worked for all my dogs and which has two benefits, is to mix a little olive oil in with the food, this helps them digest their food a little better, and also has the added benefit of giving a little more shine to the coat. We're only talking a teaspoon of olive oil here, not lashings of it though, but in every meal.

You're correct when the chicken has been cooked. Otherwise they're ok i.e. raw they're fine

Pasta is another good one, pasta or rice is good with diced chicken to stop the runs ;)

As far as I know it is fine to feed raw chicken bones, it's when it's cooked that they become brittle.

My Tikka had the runs when I first brought her home, and for a good couple of months after. I tried changing her foods (slowly) and eventually found Orijen dry puppy food. She has been on this for months and I've not had any problems with her tummy since.

Guest Hollow

You're correct when the chicken has been cooked. Otherwise they're ok i.e. raw they're fine

That makes sense, the bones dry out more when cooked so become more brittle. Thanks for the clarification.

That makes sense, the bones dry out more when cooked so become more brittle. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem, if you think about it this way: Wolves/Lions/Tigers etc don't cook their food & I'm sure they sometimes eat birds & don't die :D

All wild animals eat raw food & don't have problems, it's when humans cook meat (chicken/turkey) & give it to their dog's on the bone that they start having problems. On the other hand, boiling beef bones makes them softer for a puppy/older dog to chew ;)

hiya we have khodi on the raw food diet he had the runs a few times till we settled him he now has no problems with his tum. and that is right about the raw chicken khodi kind of crunches it into a pulp before swallowing it he also likes lambs hearts and green tripe we found it was the tripe that toughend up his stools i think its because of the roughage, bloody stinks though

Try feeding him a no grain dog food sometimes dogs tummys just dont like any types of grain or if hes on a raw diet instead of grains use sweet potatoe. If no grain is not working try a hypoallergenic food my cat eats soft hypoallergenic with regular hard food because he has IBS. And usually it takes around a week for your dogs tummy to get use to a switch in food so in the beginning of any switch there could be some runs.

Hello ihad this problem with my demon runs for quite a few weeks until i worked out my Demon will not keep chicken or rice without the runs

measure the dogs food i do Demon ison exactly 80grams 2 times aday morning and evening he is on Wainrights Salmon and potato if you dog still has the runs on chicken and rice then then id try the food mine has i tried the james wellbeloved before the Wainrights and that food turned his poos from runny into gloopy and the new salmon and potato sortedhim out id start on 50g aday and then once solid i pped it per meal until it went softer then stopped and since then my Demon had put on weight

i was at wits end with stuff and he was only ill fora few weeks let alone months

Apparently my puppy has been fed on Pedigree Chum Puppy Chicken whilst being weaned. Seller sent us with a bag so I could keep her on the same diet. However she has had the runs too. I put it down to stress and over feeding as I wasnt sure how much to feed her and tried to go along the lines of she will leave it if she isnt hungry. However one bloated puppy later with demons farts and Ive checked on the side of the package which states 95grams 4 times a day. Looking at what people what written on here this sounds too much for a 7 weeks old puppy.

What would you all suggest is a healthy amount for Kara?