Dancing Squid.....

Sparks

Would you really want to eat this :confused: -

jwvaEpYbUIM

Diners in Japan looking for a moving experience over dinner can now order a squid that dances off their plate.

A restaurant has created a dish, named Odori don - literally meaning dancing squid rice bowl - by adding soy sauce to a fresh squid.

The high salt content in the sauce reacts with ions in cells of the squids' tentacles creating voltage differences, and making the squid move.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023196/Shocktopuss-Horrifying-moment-squid-comes-life-jumps-plate.html#ixzz1UNdxWHFS

I've always said that I'd eat almost anything, I do draw some lines - this one is so far over the line that I couldn't consider it - seriously or otherwise!

the link that @Karen posted makes it even less of a possibility. Reading the comments on that blog, they can't even really decide whether the squid is dead or not! Definitely not high on my "to do" list!

no no no no no no!!!!!! *needs a bucket!!*

A small, live squid is freshly prepared and served almost-whole on a bed of sushi rice in this rather memorable (in many ways) Hakodate dish.

What?

Literally "dancing squid rice bowl". A live squid with its head removed is served on top of a bowl of sushi rice, accompanied by sashimi prepared from the head (usually sliced ika (squid) and ika-kimo (squid liver)) as well as other seafood.

Seasoned soy sauce is first poured on top of the squid to make it "dance":

The body is then removed and prepared by the chef, to be served up again as a side dish.

Prices average around ¥2,000 (£15.30 / $24.40) per person.

those of you inclined to try this will likely try it regardless of what I write, so there's really not much to say. Food flailing around on your plate (and sucking with morbid tenacity to the inside of your mouth) will of course always be of interest to some, although in culinary terms: it's passable, but an entire squid is alot to eat in one sitting. Despite appearances the squid isn't the freshest: although alive at the time of preparation, these have obviously been sitting in the tank for a while, and were bland and hard - there's better to be had.