need help from native english speakers

mydiamond

So I actually spent a lot of time arguing with my classmate about this x) Help me to win the argument LOL anyway it's about two sentences and we were arguing which sentence is correct

Sentence #1--> Was your mother slim when she was still young?

Sentence #2--> Was your mother slim when she was younger?

I vote for the second, but my english teacher says the first sentence is the correct one O_O even if so, I didn't quickly believe him and I think it's a good idea to check with native English speakers :D so yeah if you know which one is correct, pls post a reply. If you agree the first sentence is correct, then please tell me why the second one is wrong. I personally have NEVER heard of the first sentence before and I have always used the second one O_O

So it's a perfect time to correct me :P btw if I lose the argument, my classmate will win the right to laugh at me 24/7 so... I'm begging you, please post your reply! >_<

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I actually spent a lot of time arguing with my classmate about this x) Help me to win the argument LOL anyway it's about two sentences and we were arguing which sentence is correct

I vote for the second, but my english teacher says the first sentence is the correct one O_O even if so, I didn't quickly believe him and I think it's a good idea to check with native English speakers :D so yeah if you know which one is correct, pls post a reply. If you agree the first sentence is correct, then please tell me why the second one is wrong. I personally have NEVER heard of the first sentence before and I have always used the second one O_O

So it's a perfect time to correct me :P btw if I lose the argument, my classmate will win the right to laugh at me 24/7 so... I'm begging you, please post your reply! >_<

Both are correct grammatically. The first sentence in casual conversation would be, "Was your mother slim when she was young?" No need for the "still" in that sentence. The second sentence would most likely be used in common conversation, though.

Where does your teacher come from? It could be a difference between American English and British English.

I would definately always use the second. Although the first is right too, it just sound....posh. And you might have people think you're implying that your mother is old - 'younger' could mean they are any age right now and is just refering to the past, while 'still young' implies they aren't yoing anymore, i.e. they're old :P

I would use the second sentence as the first may be seen as insulting in regard to the fact that you are assuming your mother is old/much older. As still young usually means to be young, but in the context of the second sentence it is assuming the Mother is old. Seeing as women can have children at a young age, does this mean that women in their early 30's or even 20's are old? Hope this helps, however both can be considered as grammatically correct.

LOL Yeah, both are correct. And if anyone asks, I have a degree in English and work as a technical writer. ;)

And it's "both are correct." :D

thanks for correcting me LOL I'm so excited this argument ended up in a tie I forgot when to use "are" hehee

Both are correct grammatically. The first sentence in casual conversation would be, "Was your mother slim when she was young?" No need for the "still" in that sentence. The second sentence would most likely be used in common conversation, though.

Where does your teacher come from? It could be a difference between American Enlish and British English.

As Elenamarie said, in the first sentence the word Still is incorrect, when you remove that word then it make sense, the second sentence is correct.

I'd say remove the "still" from sentence #1 and both would be acceptable BUT "younger" could apply to any age prior to her current age and to me "young" might describe somebody in, say, their pre adult years.

Just my 2 cents.

Both are correct, however the 2nd is conversationally better.

The use of the word 'still' implies a change, as if either she was young or slim, then she wasn't.

Rather than a question of physical size at a younger age.

Where does your teacher come from? It could be a difference between American English and British English.

my teacher is Indonesian LOL

As Elenamarie said, in the first sentence the word Still is incorrect, when you remove that word then it make sense, the second sentence is correct.

Um, no, not really. Change the sentence to this:

"Was your mother blonde/slim when she was still alive/young?"

That is a grammatically correct sentence, just not one that would be used in general conversation. The word "still" isn't needed and isn't used, but adding it doesn't make the sentence grammatically wrong.

I picked up the changing words trick from a prof, it helps Diamond. Simply replace the words and see if the sentence still works.

The "still" in the first sentence is not necessary and just makes the sentence sound stilted. Even if you take the still out, however, the sentences have slightly different meanings, so I guess it depends what you are trying to say -

"Was your mother slim when she was (still) young?" assumes that "young" is a specific, finite time frame.

"Was your mother slim when she was younger?" is less specific and "younger" could mean any age that is younger than she is now - a day ago, a week ago, a year ago or 50 years ago.

The "still" in the first sentence is not necessary and just makes the sentence sound stilted. Even if you take the still out, however, the sentences have slightly different meanings, so I guess it depends what you are trying to say -

"Was your mother slim when she was (still) young?" assumes that "young" is a specific, finite time frame.

"Was your mother slim when she was younger?" is less specific and "younger" could mean any age that is younger than she is now - a day ago, a week ago, a year ago or 50 years ago.

Aaawww too bad!! x( this is actually a translation from an Indonesian sentence and it actually refers to "was your mother slim when she was (still) young?" x(

Aargh okay so I lost LOL

Aaawww too bad!! x( this is actually a translation from an Indonesian sentence and it actually refers to "was your mother slim when she was (still) young?" x(

Aargh okay so I lost LOL

Well, in that case you lost but seriously, in general conversation the second would be used. I guess it depends on the assignment. :D

I have always hated English lmao

Yeah, coz you speak Welsh so fluently. . . don'tcha ??