need help from native english speakers

mydiamond

Well, in that case you lost but seriously, in general conversation the second would be used. I guess it depends on the assignment. :D

WAHOOO the assignment is referring to general conversation! I WON! LOL I have sent the link to my classmate and he read all this LOL finally the argument has ended hehee thanks to all of you

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nope, i dont know hardly any Welsh.

When i said i hated english, i meant in school english lessons ect.....

LOL yeah, I guessed that. Just pushing your buttons. . . :doglaugh:

Get a dictionary MyDiamond.

Sorry I'm so late in this thread but I've had my head elsewhere (( okay, watch it!! ))

My response, like everyone else's, would be that while both are grammatically correct ( general agreement there ) the first sounds, as has been said, stilted, effete, pompous.

The second would be the more common, not even colloquially, in general usage. Even on this side of the pond.

Glad you aren't going to have to put up with being laughed at. (don't end a sentence with a preposition.)

I can but it's not called that any more, they shortened it to Llanfairpwllgwyngyll ;)

Awwww bless. :doglaugh:

Glad you aren't going to have to put up with being laughed at. (don't end a sentence with a preposition.)

That's a rule that seems to be really going out the window, these days! It's done so frequently, that the preposition in the proper place now sounds " stilted, effete, pompous" - seems like I've even seen the preposition at the end in some of my teaching textbooks!

Even thats been shortened as my uncle used to call it Llanfair P G lol , and he was from Beaumaris

That's what the P.G. stands for - pwllgwyngyll ;). It's always been shortened to Llanfair P.G. but the station name has now properly been shortened to what I posted

That's a rule that seems to be really going out the window, these days! It's done so frequently, that the preposition in the proper place now sounds " stilted, effete, pompous" - seems like I've even seen the preposition at the end in some of my teaching textbooks!

I've seen that as well. Generally in casual writing--NOT work!--I don't worry too much about those sorts of grammar rules. The ones that get me are the errors that Microsoft Word's autocorrect actually suggest. I can always tell who relies on Word for grammar and spelling by the errors made. ;)

I've seen that as well. Generally in casual writing--NOT work!--I don't worry too much about those sorts of grammar rules. The ones that get me are the errors that Microsoft Word's autocorrect actually suggest. I can always tell who relies on Word for grammar and spelling by the errors made. ;)

My spelling is awful (horrible for a teacher to admit, but I blame it on being taught a weird way of spelling in 1st grade - a weird type of phonics/invented spelling - then being switched back to regular, standard English and spelling!), but I have a fairly good grasp of grammar. Would rather teach Spanish grammar than English, though!

My spelling is awful (horrible for a teacher to admit, but I blame it on being taught a weird way of spelling in 1st grade - a weird type of phonics/invented spelling - then being switched back to regular, standard English and spelling!), but I have a fairly good grasp of grammar. Would rather teach Spanish grammar than English, though!

Oh gosh, you were a victim of "new spelling?" That was near criminal, second only to "new math."

When my daughter was in middle and high school (she graduated 2 years ago) I had several teachers tell me that correcting her homework for spelling and grammar was "hindering" her creative abilities. They insisted I stop making her correct her mistakes before turning in homework. :eek: I told them that my child would NOT graduate high school unable to write a correct resume and continued to enforce spelling and grammar in all written work.

Some days you have to wonder what people are thinking. . ..

Oh gosh, you were a victim of "new spelling?" That was near criminal, second only to "new math."

When my daughter was in middle and high school (she graduated 2 years ago) I had several teachers tell me that correcting her homework for spelling and grammar was "hindering" her creative abilities. They insisted I stop making her correct her mistakes before turning in homework. :eek: I told them that my child would NOT graduate high school unable to write a correct resume and continued to enforce spelling and grammar in all written work.

Some days you have to wonder what people are thinking. . ..

I don't have a real problem with not correcting the spelling for very small kids, who really do need to learn to enjoy writing - although I probably would have assignments where I would say "just write to write" and others where spelling and grammar were the focus. By middle and high school (I am a secondary teacher), however, they really do need to learn how to use the language effectively - and that's where spelling and grammar count!

"What people are thinking" = it's the "new" way of teaching - heaven forbid we hurt their little feelings or make them unhappy!

I don't have a real problem with not correcting the spelling for very small kids, who really do need to learn to enjoy writing - although I probably would have assignments where I would say "just write to write" and others where spelling and grammar were the focus. By middle and high school (I am a secondary teacher), however, they really do need to learn how to use the language effectively - and that's where spelling and grammar count!

"What people are thinking" = it's the "new" way of teaching - heaven forbid we hurt their little feelings or make them unhappy!

LOL Well, I'm not one of those touchy-feely moms. I'd rather a bit of angst as a teenager than a whole lot of incompetence in adulthood, KWIM? I'm with you on the early grades but by fifth grade it's time to learn to communicate correctly. I'm still amazed at how many professional people simply cannot compose a simple, comprehendible letter or email.

LOL Well, I'm not one of those touchy-feely moms. I'd rather a bit of angst as a teenager than a whole lot of incompetence in adulthood, KWIM? I'm with you on the early grades but by fifth grade it's time to learn to communicate correctly. I'm still amazed at how many professional people simply cannot compose a simple, comprehendible letter or email.

Couldn't agree more - but our current college/university system is, by what I'm seeing, being run by those who are very touchy-feely, and have rather different ways of seeing things than you and I! For my Internet classes, we are required to post several short papers each week to 'bulletin boards' online, and then comment on several posts made by other students. I am appalled at the quality of the writing of some of these teaching candidates! By the time they're in this level of coursework, they should have gotten through at least half of their second year of college/university, and they should be able to compose a reasonable paragraph or two! I'd be curious to know what kind of grade they're getting...

Couldn't agree more - but our current college/university system is, by what I'm seeing, being run by those who are very touchy-feely, and have rather different ways of seeing things than you and I! For my Internet classes, we are required to post several short papers each week to 'bulletin boards' online, and then comment on several posts made by other students. I am appalled at the quality of the writing of some of these teaching candidates! By the time they're in this level of coursework, they should have gotten through at least half of their second year of college/university, and they should be able to compose a reasonable paragraph or two! I'd be curious to know what kind of grade they're getting...

That doesn't surprise me one bit. University attendence is no guarantee of intelligence or ability, or even simple writing skills. Have you seen the people who compose emails as if they were trying to fit War and Peace into a tweet? That I will never understand.

Ok you two there is a bit of a problem when writing on a computer in the UK as most programs are from the US its becoming a pain that when we write something and it gets under lined we have to either check the spelling by the use of an Oxford English Dictionary or just ignore the spelling mistake, its the same with pronunciation, ie aluminium, which has now come up as a spelling mistake ????????? I rest my case lol