Checking in from MASS!!!!

Jason P.

Hey there! I just picked up my first dog and it also happens to be an eight week old red Siberian Husky.

I was checking out this forum last night and although there were plenty of word to wise to oppose having a husky as a first day considering their need for companionship, grooming, independence and such - I figured if I'm dedicated enough I will make sure this will work, and having a friend whom has a husky as well doesnt hurt!!

I picked him up today after doing my research on the breed's behavior and gathering as much information from online sources as well as this forum :D. His dad was indeed a really hefty husky - I was surprised at how big he was!! Hope mines get as big and lovely!

Here are the pictures;

This is him and his sister - I felt so bad breaking them up :(

2011-08-10-16-35-32.jpg?w=604&h=453

2011-08-10-17-03-59.jpg?w=604&h=453

Forgot to mention he is bi-eyed!! A green and a blue

2011-08-10-17-04-12-e1313042199292.jpg?w=480&h=640

2011-08-10-20-25-27.jpg?w=604&h=453

2011-08-10-21-23-33.jpg?w=604&h=453

img00709-20110810-2326.jpg?w=604&h=453

Sleeping like a boss

img00716-20110811-0130.jpg?w=604&h=453

Im assuming the stress is getting to him cause he's having diarrhea - Ive talked to my friend whom owns a husky and said this could be due to stress and new living arrangements - I also have decided to use Science Diet puppy food but he has been eating little today, drinking lots - this I know cause he's been pee'ing all over the place.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to potter train the husky? And how i should be feeding him and stuff. Any advice would be grateful. Thank you for looking!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:welcome: to HO and what lovely pictures of your pup. Keep 'em coming. I am sure you will get loads of help and advice from members on the forum. What was the food that the breeder used? If you change food too quickly this can cause an upset tum. It could be the stress of change of home or even a change in water.

THANKS!!!! i didnt ask what food they used - just whether it was dry or wet. but they did say dry. in the papers they gave me it said to switch over to diamond chicken and rice dog food for a week - but he's pooping left and right, his first one was really explosive :jawdrop: <---- literal reaction. im going back to petsmart and most likely sign up for puppy obedience (even though he prob be ridiculously independent) and grab some diamond chicken dog food.

im also taking him to the vet this week - if not tomorrow!!!!

:welcome: Your boy is stunnin! :)

as Jules said with potty training, consistency is key, take him often, also praise when he goes outside :)

with regards to the upset tummy, just keep an eye on it over the next week, see if it settles, Huskies are renowned for having dicky tummies and you have to find the right food for your guy! :)

aww what a gorgeous boy:heartbeat:

as above with the food it has probably caused an upset tum changing him over,the breeder should really have told you and given you some of his food.

also,your friend is right too,the change in his circumstance leaving his mum and littermates will have this affect.

as will the amounts you feed too,slightly overfeeding will cause him to have the runs too.

feed him 4 times daily while he is so young,but if you are using the guidelines on the bag,go slightly below

it wont look much but believe me it will be enough!

good luck and enjoy him.

take him out for wee's and poops after every eat/sleep and play and other times inbetween.

alo,take him out with you when you go out,although he cant be put on the floor yet

you can carry him and get him use to people/noise/traffic etc etc.

Welcome.

As a first time Husky owner you'll have LOTS of questions.

We're here to help.

Just post in the appropriate section and you'll soon have

the answers you need. :)

Hey there! I just picked up my first dog and it also happens to be an eight week old red Siberian Husky.

I was checking out this forum last night and although there were plenty of word to wise to oppose having a husky as a first day considering their need for companionship, grooming, independence and such - I figured if I'm dedicated enough I will make sure this will work, and having a friend whom has a husky as well doesnt hurt!!

I picked him up today after doing my research on the breed's behavior and gathering as much information from online sources as well as this forum :D. His dad was indeed a really hefty husky - I was surprised at how big he was!! Hope mines get as big and lovely!

Here are the pictures;

This is him and his sister - I felt so bad breaking them up :(

2011-08-10-16-35-32.jpg?w=604&h=453

2011-08-10-17-03-59.jpg?w=604&h=453

Forgot to mention he is bi-eyed!! A green and a blue

2011-08-10-17-04-12-e1313042199292.jpg?w=480&h=640

2011-08-10-20-25-27.jpg?w=604&h=453

2011-08-10-21-23-33.jpg?w=604&h=453

img00709-20110810-2326.jpg?w=604&h=453

Sleeping like a boss

img00716-20110811-0130.jpg?w=604&h=453

Im assuming the stress is getting to him cause he's having diarrhea - Ive talked to my friend whom owns a husky and said this could be due to stress and new living arrangements - I also have decided to use Science Diet puppy food but he has been eating little today, drinking lots - this I know cause he's been pee'ing all over the place.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to potter train the husky? And how i should be feeding him and stuff. Any advice would be grateful. Thank you for looking!

Welcome! What a beautiful boy!

Any particular reason you chose Science Diet? I'd stay away from the Diamond, it's not a good feed.

Are his poops mustard yellow and very foul-smelling? If so, you need to get him to the vet to treat it as it's likely a coccidia infection.

First thing you need to housetrain a Husky is a crate. The second thing you need is patience! Once his tummy troubles are solved get him into a schedule and keep him there. There's lots of threads about this over in training.

Again, welcome! You haven't lived until you've been owned by a Husky.

Hes lovely :heartbeat:

Call me pedantic, but it's unlikely he is a full sibe if he has a green eye, it's likely he is a sibe/mal cross

Still gorgeous though :D

Welcome! :)

No, green eyes are perfectly acceptable in the Siberian breed standard. A green eye is caused by equal expression of a blue and brown allele, and many Sibes have brown eyes as well.

No, green eyes are perfectly acceptable in the Siberian breed standard. A green eye is caused by equal expression of a blue and brown allele, and many Sibes have brown eyes as well.

I know they have brown eyes aswell, I was just saying it was unlikely if they were green :)

Plus, he mentioned the father being huge, sounded more Mal than husky.

all this and i forgot his name! he's Akino! although he isnt responding to it atm :eek: lol.

im keeping a good eye on his poop color and its more brownish runny than mustard yellow. although im going to call the vet today to check up and see if i can get him checked out. im going to pick up a crate and start training him - he poops outside but pee's like a mother inside. and last night kept me up pretty much like a two year old - he threw up on the 60$ bed i got him too :confused: looked like leaves - guess he ate some on our walk last night!

Welcome to the Pack. Cute puppy. On the issue of food. I would contact the breeder and get the same food that they were feeding and feed that to your pup for at least a short period, until the loose stool issue is resolved. There's nothing wrong with Diamond Pet Foods. Some people think that there is, but they are no worse or no better than many companies out there that make pet food. Diamond also makes pet food for some of the major label companies. (Taste of the Wild, which is an excellent food is owned and made by Diamond Pet Foods.)

The problem with pet foods is in the ingredients, the storage, and the handling. Corn, wheat, soy, brewer's rice, and animal by-products are some of the ingredients to avoid in pet food. Take a look at the Science Diet Puppy food and see what the first three ingredients are. Almost a sure bet that corn is one of them. I would strongly urge you to look at some alternative foods for your new pup. Some brands that make quality foods are Eagle Pak, Evo, Innova, Wellness, Merrick, Blue Buffalo, TOTW; and there are others. Don't fall for the hype about certain brands, and do some research on the topic. That way, you can make an informed decision on what's best for your new pack member.

Also, almost forgot, make sure to take a stool sample with you to the vet and have it checked. Most puppies have worms, and depending on when he was last wormed and what he came in contact with since then, it's possible he's got some worms and may need another worming. Your vet will be able to tell if you take in a stool sample.

Hes lovely :heartbeat:

Call me pedantic, but it's unlikely he is a full sibe if he has a green eye, it's likely he is a sibe/mal cross

Still gorgeous though :D

Welcome! :)

Hey, Emma, you leave that word alone, Pedant's mine, all mine!!!!

Jason, greeting to the forum and I can't add anything to what everyone else has said. Give him some time to adjust and he'll be great! When you said he was a red, I expected him to be the dark red (his sister) but that light red (almost blonde??) is pretty too.