Greetings from Singapore!

Equinox

Hello everyone!! Am new to this forum. First time owning a Siberian Husky as well.

Brought "Bam Bam" home yesterday after acquiring him from a reputable show breeder here in Singapore. Bam is 8 months old now and has won BBPIS couple of months ago in a local championship dog show. As he didn't turn out to be as desired for the show ring, the kind breeder decided to re-home him to a proper pet home instead.

Bam Bam is being accompanied here by a Standard Poodle and an American Cocker Spaniel.

Am really happy & lucky to have him here with me now. And I hope to learn more about the breed from all of you here.

Cheerios!

post-5705-13585982435624_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings and welcome to the forum .... though I'll admit it's the first time I've ever seen a green Husky! :)

If you would, take a run over to the member map http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/ and pin yourself over there, please. It's nice to know where you're from since we've members from all over the world (which also means that someone is "here" 24/7) It also helps a lot when someone is tying to provide answers / suggestions (No sense in my suggesting the latest greatest Husky toy from Petco which is located in the US ...)

We also have a couple of other member from Indo as well. One in Jakarta ( @sugarcrawler ) and one further down county in Malang ( @mydiamond ), so you're in good company.

Ok this is Bam Bam without the camera effects. He's a grey/white. And also a pic of Casper my Standard Poodle!

Am I the only one from Singapore here?

I have a very odd sense of humour so I normally warn people when I'm teasing .... actually the picture in green was interesting since it was different. And you do have a good looking pup there.

To my knowledge, you're the only person here who admits to being from Singapore ... there aren't many Husky's there, are there???

Hi and welcome!

I was wondering, what's it like having a husky over there? I visited some friends there at the end of June and stayed by Farrer Park where I saw 2 huskies during my stay. I'm asking because I have an opportunity to move over there for a job, but I'd only do it if it's feasible to bring Aries, so any info would help loads!

Lol sorry to pounce on ya as soon as you get here! :P

I have a very odd sense of humour so I normally warn people when I'm teasing .... actually the picture in green was interesting since it was different. And you do have a good looking pup there.

To my knowledge, you're the only person here who admits to being from Singapore ... there aren't many Husky's there, are there???

î•î•î•

Actually there're quite a decent population of huskies in Singapore. It was even more so about 10 to 13 years ago when it was a fad to own a husky amidst the tropical weather here. Everyone wanted to have the "wolf looking snow dog"! You can literally see people walking their husky at every corner of the neighbourhood anytime during the day and the large number of huskies at the dog parks, etc. (Current fad here will be Toy Poodles! Red is outta season, Apricot is in!)

That demand led to mass breeding from unscrupulous puppy mills, resulting in unsound dogs. And of cos that naturally led to an increase in the number of huskies ending up in SPCA & other animal rescues. Am glad the fad has past & things are getting back to "normal".

Now, i see a lot more responsible ownerships. People walk their huskies either in the early hours of the day or during evenings or night instead when the weather is cooler. There used to group of husky/malamute lovers who would organize night walks/gathering etc. But ain't sure if the group is still intact now.

Welcome! Fellow Singaporean here, currently studying in Melbourne now tho :D

Missed the fireworks on National Day - was it still the same old?

Lots of helpful people here giving advice 24/7, so if ever in doubt feel free to post them here!

@Calin

It really depends on the type of housing you'll be living in

Flats in Singapore generally do not allow large breed - list of approved breed can be found here:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10326p.nsf/w/PetBreedsAllowed?OpenDocument

However, they are allowed in private properties and condos

Renting might also be a problem if the place comes furnished

And....Singapore is hot and humid (you've been there, you know that), not exactly an ideal country for a husky to live in.

Some of the husky owners there on their air-conditioning 24/7 so it's not an issue for them

And thank you for not bringing my ignorance to the fore. Though you could have and I wouldn't have minded. For some reason I thought that Singapore was a part of Indonesia and then on retrospection, possibly Malaysia and now find that it's an independent city state.

That's what I get for assuming, right?? Sorry if I caused any confusion on your end.

Hi and welcome!

I was wondering, what's it like having a husky over there? I visited some friends there at the end of June and stayed by Farrer Park where I saw 2 huskies during my stay. I'm asking because I have an opportunity to move over there for a job, but I'd only do it if it's feasible to bring Aries, so any info would help loads!

Lol sorry to pounce on ya as soon as you get here! :P

Hi hi, hope you liked your stay here in Singapore during June!

Think @kkendra did a lot of answering to your queries on living with dogs here. By the way, where are u & Aries from? Cos we might have some quarantine laws here that u might wanna check it out. I heard it has been relaxed a whole lot lately. So it might not be that much a hassle after all. But do check them out first.

I think Singapore is generally dog friendly (but I feel there is still lots of room to improve). U can walk Aries in parks like the Botanic gardens. And we have several fenced up dog runs across the island state. There is even a new dog run on top of a new shopping mall with a dog cafe along with it.

If there are any specific things u wanna know more about, do gimme a shout.

And thank you for not bringing my ignorance to the fore. Though you could have and I wouldn't have minded. For some reason I thought that Singapore was a part of Indonesia and then on retrospection, possibly Malaysia and now find that it's an independent city state.

That's what I get for assuming, right?? Sorry if I caused any confusion on your end.

Hahahaha. I had wanted to correct you. But I thought I shall let the truth unveil itself after I pin the map. Lol.

Google about our city state and see how beautiful it is. î„…

And do come for a visit if you have the chance to ya. And let me know if that happens!

Welcome! Fellow Singaporean here, currently studying in Melbourne now tho :D

Missed the fireworks on National Day - was it still the same old?

Lots of helpful people here giving advice 24/7, so if ever in doubt feel free to post them here!

@Calin

It really depends on the type of housing you'll be living in

Flats in Singapore generally do not allow large breed - list of approved breed can be found here:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10326p.nsf/w/PetBreedsAllowed?OpenDocument

However, they are allowed in private properties and condos

Renting might also be a problem if the place comes furnished

And....Singapore is hot and humid (you've been there, you know that), not exactly an ideal country for a husky to live in.

Some of the husky owners there on their air-conditioning 24/7 so it's not an issue for them

Hey fellow Singaporean!!!

The fireworks was awesome awesome as usual. Beautiful backdrop against the Marina Bay area.

Do u own a husky in Melbourne now? Ya, I keep my house air conditioned most of the day partly because of the dogs but mainly because I am afraid of the heat myself. Lol.

Yep! She's almost 15 weeks now :)

Lol, I keep the AC on when I'm back home too!

It's getting warmer there these couple of months isn't it?

P.S I meant to comment on how cute Bam Bam is on my first post! Got carried away :confused:

15weeks old pup? Omg, must be really cute! Post a pic here for me?

Thanks. Ya, Bam is such a boy. What attracted me to him when i saw him at the breeder was his very calm temperament. No jumping or going all crazy etc, just walked over calmly to greet us. And he's still like this at home now.