Really thin summer coat?

willbacker45

Hi everyone! Kaiden is my first full bred Sibe. and to my surprise his fur is really not fluffy and soft it is more coarse and lays down flat. Could that just be because it is really hot this summer and he has shed/blown all of his under coat only leaving the coarse outer coat? It makes him look really skinny but he weighs 57pds.

post-1752-13586084535588_thumb.jpg

post-5716-13585982716114_thumb.jpg

post-5716-13585982717216_thumb.jpg

post-5716-13585982719078_thumb.jpg

He also looks like he could be from racing-type lines, and they tend to have coats that are a bit shorter and not as fluffy. I would expect him to start getting his new coat in soon, as the days are getting shorter and it's already getting a bit cooler. The guard coat is coarser to help repel water, snow and wind, so it's supposed to feel harsher.

my 2 boys have very different coats. one is REALLY fluffy and is blowing its coat what feels like FOREVER! where as the other one isnt as fluffy and more like yours but his does get thicker in the winter.

As you say its course, perhaps include some fish oil in his diet (fish 4 dogs do a great salmon oil) into his diet and see if that makes a difference. Storm was a rescue dog and i dont think he had a very good diet before, his coat was very coarse. however now its much softer but it took quite a few months (I guess it improved as his new coat came through).

Siku looks like that right now. She blew her nice soft undercoat and now feels like a lab. :/ lol. He'll get softer as he regrows his undercoat. And I've noticed with Siku, first her undercoat comes out then as it regrows her overcoat starts to fall off. It'll be interesting to see if she gets a lighter color or darker. Some sibes really change color when they switch from their winter coat to their summer coat.