Adoptive dog determined to get out

Matthew

Hay, well got Link today, 2 year old dog that was found on the streets, was at pound for 2 months. Well when hes outisde he is DETERMINED to get out. I have fences and they are cement on the floor and cement buired then wooden fence starts above it. Well there are some spots that dont have that, he busted thru the fence! Not digged under, but took the planks off one by one, dragged them away and bolted out to the neighbors yard. I mended the fence, but everytime he is out there, he goes right to the spot and trys hard to get out again. I yell at him but it doesnt matter.

Sounds like that's how he ended up in the pound in the first place! lol Huskies are known to escape, Link sounds like one of those Huskies. For the time being get a good strong tie out and always monitor him while outside. Maybe with the introduction of routine exercise and stimulation... the urge to escape will dissipate. Or, maybe not. Either way it sounds like he's going to need constant supervision while outside in the yard.

He was scanned, no chip, I looked at the address and it was on a bad side of town. They have to sit in the "pound" for a while to see if anyways claims. If no one claims its checked out, nuetered, shotted and has to pass temperment test. After all that it goes on the "market" and people can adopt. So its MY dog now :)

as others have said try a tie out or its gonna be a case of constant supervision for a while

he'll take a while to understand he's got a new forever home and hopefully when he does he wont want to escape.

Tia was a terrible jumper and had escaped on numerous occassions from her previous owners

since we've had her she has made no attempt at all,she could clear my fence with no effort

but seems more than happy to stay on our side........thankfully!

Yep when we first got Darwin he was constantly trying (and in some cases succeeding :o)to escape.

If the front door was opened he would be moving at lightspeed to get through your legs and out.

He learned how to open the living room windows to escape.

cost us £117 in fees from the dog warden after they picked him up.

Vigilance.

However,

15 months later he's happily settled and no longer tries to escape.

Not saying that if we are stoooooopid enough to leave the door open that he doesn't try to go for a wander.

(ALL Huskies no matter whether adopted of brought up from puppies, will try to get out for a spot of freedom)

But. . . . it's not his all consuming desire to get out anymore.

We can answer the door to visitors and while he will be curious, we don't have to watch him every second.

Example.

The other day it was quite warm so I opened the living room window.

promptly forgot all about it, went upstairs for a shower.

Came down and there was Darwin lying on the windowsill (one of his favourite places)

window open, quite content.

As with EVERYTHING Husky

Time and Patience, there is No quick fix for Husky problems.

You must stay calm and patient, take it one day at a time.

:grouphug: