Switching foods??

<3Jess<3

We have decided to give BARF ago...Found a pet shop that make it all for you, combine

• Fresh, raw meat, offal and bone

• A seasonal variety of fruit and vegetables

• Additives like Garlic, Flaxseed, egg, yoghurt, alfalfa, kelp and fish oil

and freeze into patties then you buy take home defrost and feed to dog...

Anywho question is they have told me to starve bella for 24 hours only give water and then start her on the BARF from what I have heard/read when starting a new food you slowly add it over a week till you only have the new food

Was wondering if any one has done BARF and if due to it being raw you don't gradually add it or???

Just didnt want to cause Bella to many stomach upsets with changing her food so should I just starve and then start on the BARF or gradually add it??

also heres the site if you want to have a look = http://www.petmaniacs.com.au/pages/raw/BARF/BigDogBarf.html

i think because the raw and kibble digest at different rates but not totally sure.

Yep, that's the reason.

You'd end up with the runs.

how come the rice rather then just mixing the barf into her kibble and adding more n more till fully switching over?

thx for the help =D

boiled chicken and rice is commonly used as a detox food when dogs have runny tums, it helps to clean out the system and firm up poops. So having her on this for a couple of days will mean her stomach is free from the kibble and the switchover should be a smooth one.

Raw digests differently and at a different speed to kibble, which can upset their stomachs

You can really do it anyway you'd like. My dogs got their last kibble meal in the evening and the next night they were put on raw. While you certainly can put them on chicken/rice they're stomachs are going to be thrown through a loop anyhow since kibble and boiled chicken/rice are both cooked. While raw is... raw!