Dog parks and appropriate behaviour

Bec

I thought this would make a good discussion thread, as it came up in part in another (now closed/deleted) topic - if only to give us all something to think about.

A lot of people here use dog parks/off leash areas and I thought it would be good to talk about what behaviour is appropriate in dog parks and what we should do as responsible owners to help prevent situations from getting out of control.

There are lots of things that we, as responsible owners, can do to help prevent dog attacks and fights and to make sure our dogs and the dogs they interact with are safe and happy. Some of the points I raise and things I recommend to people all the time are (and this is not just specific to dog parks):

1) Don't let your dogs rush up to others - a lot of dog body language is very subtle and easy for us to miss, this is one of the reasons why IMO, it is incredibly important to make sure that your dog doesn't rush up to strange dogs or run off to greet other dogs where you can't see or control them. If your dog is too excited and out of control when it sees another dog - do not let them greet it until you say so and when they have calmed down. I have lost count of the number of times a supposedly "friendly" dog runs up to another at full speed "just to say hi" and causing a negative reaction from the dog it rushes up to. Had the "friendly" dog displayed nicer manners the other dog most likely would not have reacted the same way. I see this behaviour from "friendly" dogs cause fights and issues often - dogs that owners think are being friendly when really the dogs are being rude by rushing up to another dog and getting in it's face, and ignoring any warning signs or body language the other dog is displaying to say it's not comfortable.

These kinds of situations are completely preventable!

2) Keep dog park entry areas clear - if you go to a fenced dog park, often dogs will rush to the gate area when a 'new' dog comes into the park. I've seen the 'dog park gate/entry' be the point of dog fights and attacks countless times - imagine how intimidating and uncomfortable it would be for a new dog entering a park to be immediately rushed on and crowded by a group of often unfamiliar dogs. I've seen a 'crowded on' dog snap to tell other dogs to give it space erupt into a huge group fight with 4-6 dogs attacking the new dog. This is a situation that is entirely preventable if owners make sure they watch and effectively control their dogs and are aware of what is going around them.

3) Learn to read body language and signs of arousal - a lot of dog fights and attacks can be prevented if more owners knew how to read canine body language and tell the difference between friendly and appropriate canine behaviour and arousal, aggression, prey drive etc. There is LOADS of information freely available about canine body language - perhaps we can all share some links and videos in this thread :)

4) Don't let your dog get over excited or aroused - leading on from the point above, highly aroused dogs in a dog park situation can lead to incredibly dangerous and can and often lead to seemingly unpredictable incidents. These situations can turn very quickly especially when owners don't know what behaviour to look for or watch out for. Signs of high arousal in dogs can include (but are not limited to):

- High pitched barking

- Ears held forward or erect

- Taut, stilted body language

- A tail held stiffly and higher than normal

- Slow, deliberate tail wagging

- Pilor erection (raised hair on the neck, shoulders or other areas of the body)

- Dilated pupils

Watch for these signs in your dog and pre-empt a dangerous situation when your dog is over aroused by calling them back to you and leashing them until they are calm again.

5) Teach your dog to recall under distraction - having a dog who can recall under distraction - like greeting or playing with another dog - is not only convenient for you, but can save your dog's life and prevent attacks or fights from happening. If you go to an off leash area regularly, use it as an opportunity to train your dog. Your ability to control and call your dog away from a developing situation or emergency situation is an important safety skill. IMO - and this is probably going to be controversial here - if you do not have basic effective control of your dog, your dog does not belong in an off leash area.

6) Pre-empt behaviour or dangerous situations before they get out of hand - watch for things like 'packs' forming - groups of dogs will often form in a dog park and will collectively chase or pick on individual dogs (I have seen this myself many times). Watch for these kinds of incidents so you can prevent something serious from occurring before it happens. KNOW YOUR DOG - learn to read when your dog is getting over aroused, over excited, is showing signs that it's had enough etc. Don't wait for your dog to display bad behavior so you can then correct it, learn to read the signs leading up to it so you can prevent it by calling your dog back to you, interrupting them before the behaviour worsens, leashing them etc.

If anyone has any other points they'd like to add, let me know, and I will edit my post :)

Great post Bec :). There are no dog parks near us and to be honest if there were I do not think I would even take Sabien. Lots of dogs at our local park are often off leash and Sabien has been charged and attacked while he had his back to this dog and was sniffing some grass, so I hate coming across dogs that are off leash. This is the first dog I have owned and I sometimes have trouble reading dog body language and picking up on their cues. Do you know of any good books or websites about dog body language?

have multiple water bowls, so that dogs dont have to share (tho they may still choose too) we usually have 3 or 4

if you are going to bring treats make sure you check with the owners if their dog can have some, some dogs have sensitive bellies or allergies, if your dog is a food guarder DO NOT take treats

have multiple water bowls, so that dogs dont have to share (tho they may still choose too) we usually have 3 or 4

if you are going to bring treats make sure you check with the owners if their dog can have some, some dogs have sensitive bellies or allergies, if your dog is a food guarder DO NOT take treats

Other dog owners in our local park have had treats and asked if they can give Sabien one. I have said yes and when they go to give him a treat he turns his head away from them and won't take it even if they are treats he likes!! I say he is clever and knows that you don't take treats from strangers :P

Good post Bec.

First and foremost, keep a close eye on your dog(s) at ALL Times.

YOU are responsible for it and it's actions.

Personally I don't think any kind of food (human or dog) should be brought into a dog park. Just because your dog may not be food aggressive/possessive doesn't mean there aren't others who are. Above all, know your dog and if you don't know your dog... don't take them to a dog park.

Personally I don't think any kind of food (human or dog) should be brought into a dog park. Just because your dog may not be food aggressive/possessive doesn't mean there aren't others who are. Above all, know your dog and if you don't know your dog... don't take them to a dog park.

:ditto: