Tree in South Africa

Val (Zebedee)

Val...are you sure that's in South Africa? It looks eerily like the "Tree of Life" in Disney World's Animal Kingdom, which is actually a huge sculpture. :)

The Tree of Life is a massive 145-foot masterpiece sculpted by more than a dozen artists.

With 325 animal carvings on the outside, this 50-foot wide artificial tree is the centerpiece of
theme park at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

post-2171-13585983996995_thumb.jpg

Val...are you sure that's in South Africa? It looks eerily like the "Tree of Life" in Disney World's Animal Kingdom, which is actually a huge sculpture. :)

I thought that immediately! Maybe that's cause I'm in FL and everyone knows about that tree/sculpture. Methinks it's the same tree.

[ATTACH=full]18817[/ATTACH]

The Tree of Life is a massive 145-foot masterpiece sculpted by more than a dozen artists.

With 325 animal carvings on the outside, this 50-foot wide artificial tree is the centerpiece of
theme park at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

I was sent it in an email from a friend in work, she swears it is in S Africa :erm:

I was sent it in an email from a friend in work, she swears it is in S Africa :erm:

post-1262-13586085723613_thumb.jpg

Well, they were supposed to be the same size

On the left we have a picture from the tree in S Africa, on the right (courtesy of Wikipedia) from the Tree of Life in Florida.

When did someone suddenly move Orlando to South Africa??

post-5355-13585984006971_thumb.jpg

post-5355-13585984007334_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's the one in Florida. I remember all the press coverage of that tree when Animal Kingdom first opened...Animal Kingdom is supposed to make you feel as if you've actually visited Africa. Anyway, I know several people who have seen the tree at Disney World and they tell me it's pretty awesome...hard to believe it's not a real tree. :)

@Rosemary would know.

I know SA is a big place but I'm sure she would be aware if there were such a magnificent

work of art like that there. :)

I know we have some pretty spectacular baobab trees here, some which are pretty old. The oldest one (I think) is in the Limpopo province and is carbon dated at 6000 years old, making it older than the Giza pyramids. At 1000 years old, they start hollowing out inside creating caves or caverns. It is truly a remarkable experience to actually sit inside a living and thriving tree, and have a cold drink :rolleyes: Sorry, I can go on forever, it is my favourite tree - and so very African.

I friend of mine was studying in America towards her doctorate, one night she she saw a baobab on TV. The next day she packed her bags and came home - the power of a symbol :)