Training update

Austinville

Well, my precious little girl has now had three sessions. The first was spent learning to walk at heel (we call it 'hip'). She's doing quite well with this and training it was a breeze which surprised me after a year of being drug down paths and streets.

Our second class was spent learning that sit means sit until you're released. While Ryn has come a long way with this, we have a bit of work to do with it, though she's an angel and a fast learner!

The third session was more difficult. Ryn is learning to sit as I walk away. She did so well and we practice each morning and evening. I'm up to about 20 feet away and she waits patiently to be released (she's up to about three minutes already - with just two days of practice.)

This is one of the best things we've done together! While I wasn't at all sure that Ryn would get anything out of her sessions (figured her huskiness would have her ignoring the trainer), she's really blossoming with it.

And, more good news on the same front, he can test her for Canine Good Citizen and is checking into the testing for therapy certification.

Whoop Rynnie! I'm so proud of both of us!:D:pingu:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryn just seems to excel at everything. I'm jealous, cuz I putz at everything. :congrats:

Very excellent, you sound like you're enjoying it as much as Ryn is!

Wish we had something like that down here, but the nearest center to me is about 250 miles away (trainer / evaluator for CGC).

While I realty do like living out in the back end of nowhere, it does have its drawbacks!

I just called local vets to see if they had any classes available. One gave me the number of a gentleman some 50 miles away which got me thinking. (ouch!) I remembered my son's friend is a trainer and behaviorist....so got his number. He's just 14 miles away. Typically, he trains hunting dogs, but his background includes obedience. He began our trainings much like he might have with a hunting dog, but that quickly changed as he began to learn about huskies and how they learn.

He told me at our first class that within four weeks, Ryn could be off-lead. I told him absolutely not that this wasn't our goal. Both Ryn and I quickly gave him a lesson in all things husky....

Someday, when she's more mature and we've developed a training relationship, I might allow her off lead. But honestly, I'm not willing to risk it and that is a long ways down the road. I've had huskies long enough to know what to expect and while his experience isn't with huskies, the trainer is willing to learn about them and has been reading some of the information I gave him. He's appreciating the challenge of the husky and he's learning also.

It's been good for all three of us.

Update on our class last night.

First off, Ryn was complimented on the fact that before she worked with the trainer - she asked my permission. At first, I didn't realize how important that was until Tomas explained that since we've been working together, Ryn has put me in a higher position in her life and that by seeking my permission, it shows that our bond is building. She's putting more trust in me and is counting on me to give her direction. Simply put, it was a really good thing, apparently. (our sessions always begin with me showing him what we accomplished during the week. Then he takes her to show me what and how to work with her on the next lesson).

Ryn is doing well and will sit some 30 feet away from me for about 15 to 20 minutes before I call her to come. She's getting much better at coming when called (still on the long lead - I'm not giving that up!)

We also put treats around her while she was sitting there or walking over them and she couldn't have them. She was pretty sure (at first) that such good treats shouldn't be wasted and even asked my permission to get them. Not to be. (Don't worry, she was treated quite well for her patience)

Last night we worked on 'hip' --- heel to most of you. She did quite well and that's our plan for this week.

Am so proud of her........and love the bond that's developing.

nice 1 becky - sounds like its coming along well - by asking for ur permission does that just mean she looks to you first b4 just deciding that shes gonna do it regardless?

No, if I tell her no, she just settles back into her sit and waits for further direction.

In all honesty, I'm just amazed at how easy training is with Ryn. I thought it would be a battle of wills and didn't think my will was stronger than Ryn's. You can see the light bulb go off when she understands what is being asked of her and then, with practice, it becomes second nature.

She loves to please...

How about sharing some of this training on the forum. . . ;)

can you take video of your practice sessions at home ??