anal sacs...

Gankez

soo a few days back duke started smelling like he got into something rotten. my sister pointed out his backside looked bloody which worried me. i took a sniff (can someone explain why i love this dog so much? lol) and yea it was back there. which explained why his nose was smelling like that lol. so i do a bit of googling and come up with it must be an anal sac. because worms apparently dont make yer rear smell like that. i took em to the vet today and they cleared em out. lol if ya havnt had that experience trust me its foul. anywho i was wondering is this a common thing for huskies? im really hoping this isnt something thats gonna happen alot cause it ended up costing me near 100$ (vet fee was around 60 for the physical then another 30 to fix em)

hmmmmm - not a pleasant experience!! Have seen many of these at the vets when i worked there and you can't get rid of the smell for ages !!

It's not common for any breed to the best of my knowledge. The anal glands secrete the scent each time the dog does a number 2 and only fill up it they become blocked, normally because the stools are not firm the whole time.

It will probably happen again i'm sorry to say but shouldn't be a regular occurence :)

Took our last Husky to the vet for impacted anal glands. The vet said, "This is fairly easy to do. You could do it yourself." I said, "You must have me confused with someone else." He replied, "No, here, see, it's real easy." My retort, "Doc, you get paid the big bucks, not me, so knock yourself out."

If you let it go too long, they become very infected and can rupture. That's really nasty.

anal glands can become impacted when their stool is too soft. Firmer stools are needed to naturally squeeze the glands during defocation. some dogs are more prone than others. but if you're feeding a wet food, that could be part of the problem.

and yes. anal glands are one of the foulest smells i know of. i used to work at a vet and whenever they expressed them, i would open every window in the place and turn on the vents. GAA

Ah the lovely anal sac area, dont you just love it, lmao, :confused:

I would say this problem is a common thing with huskies but I wouldnt say it was uncommon either due to thier sensitive stomach and being prone to the runs.

Most of the time Dogs are able to empty out their anal sacs on their own and this is where you will see them dragging their bum accross the floor (doing this can also mean worms too), Gizmo did this when he was younger and I panicked so much thinking he had worms that we rushed him to the vets and he said Gizmo was clear for Worms and must have just been emptying his anal sacs - what a relief that was.

In the likliness of this case, some dogs do need assistance to empty the anal sacs, and yes you can do it yourself but its the pleasent at all!!! I had to do it once when I had Butch (My rottie) and it was vial! The stink was horrendous and the fact that he farted at the same time REALLY didnt help lol! All I will say is I was in the bathroom for a while afterwards and aint doing it again!!! I'll let the the pros do it from now on!

A! I had to do it once when I had Butch (My rottie) and it was vial! The stink was horrendous and the fact that he farted at the same time REALLY didnt help lol! All I will say is I was in the bathroom for a while afterwards and aint doing it again!!! I'll let the the pros do it from now on!

can just imagine the stench now dog farts are the worst

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...

If your dog is a bit bloated - has he eaten anything recently?   It could be Bloat  - lethal in hours sometimes.      Alternatively it could be a spinal injury/problem if he is limping suddenly with no obvious cause.

My boy recently yelped a couple of times whilst lying down and was walking very carefully  (only way I can describe it)   - trip to the vets and was diagnosed with an infection in the spine.   Vet said I was lucky to have caught it so early as it would lead to meningitis if left untreated.    Evidently he must have nicked himself  - up to 2 years ago  -  and got an infection that travels up the nerves etc and settles in the spine  in the plates at the end of each vertebrae.   This eventually gets so bad it forces the plate away from the vertebra - which causes the pain but 'escapes' and travels up the spinal cord to the brain.  2 week course of antibiotics cured him.