Cycling with your lunatic....

Nikki Bridgeman

Hey guys. Walking stitch today when i bumped into my sister on her bike, so tied his lead to the handle bars when we got to a quiet field and had a little go... he loved it!

Fantastic exercise for him, especially as there isn't an enclosed dog park anywhere on this island. I've seen lots of different bike harnesses/attachments, but really don't know what to go for, they don't sell them in any of the local pet shops, so i'd have to buy online, and was hoping for a little advice before having to buy lots of types and send them back :-D ... Any thoughts? Cheers x[ATTACH=full]19036[/ATTACH]

I have a WalkyDog attachment for my bike.

It fits under the seat stem and uses a combination of your weight and a Bungee extention rod to attach the pooch the the bike.

http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html

here's a Video of it (not me :))

2g-IUjTqYkA

I cant see your link so it depends where you want to run your dog at the side or upfront ,I use the walkydog for side running and the anntena for running upfront

You can buy convertor from innerwolf http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=bikejoring

or the antenna from Country hounds http://www.countryhounds.ie/

You dont really need the antenna if you keep your lines tight between you and the dog but I like mine for added saftey,Anne

Thanks guys! Little confused about what harness he'd need to go with it. I like the idea of the out front one, I think i'd feel like I had a little more control with that :)

With the "Out front" or BikeJoring design your dog needs to know and respond to 'left/right and stop' commands at the very minimum as the dog is essentially loose in front of you and can change direction independant of the direction you turn your handle bars (and unless you share a strong psychic bond with your pooch he/she won't know if you need to change direction or stop).

Yeah, I too use the Manmat Long Distance - Country Hounds below are great, Rita really knows customer service. I bike my Harley off a cani-cross belt I bought from there, with a bike-joring bungee gangline (I use the shorter cani-cross bungee for cani-cross). I like being in direct contact with the dog rather than being disconnected through the bike - though beware - when you come off at speed being towed by your belt you get some great aerobatics in before you hit the ground lol!!

just incase you wanted to know. Gee is right, Haw is left, Hike is carry on, On By is for distractions, and Whoa is stop

I stand to be corrected since I don't know this from personal experience but according to several references Gee and Haw seem to have been reversed when they crossed the Atlantic. Grandpa and Uncle Willie drove horses pulling wagons when I was a tiny kid but I don't remember what they might have used??

quote="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CliffC/Gee_and_haw']

For horses, in the U.S. "gee" (pronounced jee) generally means turn right, while "haw" means turn left. In England, the meanings are reversed, but as James Lloyd Clark points out, "Generally, work horses are not subject to a lot of international travel so the fear of great confusion on the farm is minimal."[1]

The English meanings are used for sledding in Alaska and Canada.

I stand to be corrected since I don't know this from personal experience but according to several references Gee and Haw seem to have been reversed when they crossed the Atlantic. Grandpa and Uncle Willie drove horses pulling wagons when I was a tiny kid but I don't remember what they might have used??

quote="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CliffC/Gee_and_haw']

For horses, in the U.S. "gee" (pronounced jee) generally means turn right, while "haw" means turn left. In England, the meanings are reversed, but as James Lloyd Clark points out, "Generally, work horses are not subject to a lot of international travel so the fear of great confusion on the farm is minimal."[1]

The English meanings are used for sledding in Alaska and Canada.

I like his comment that I've put in bold above ... naw, I guess not.

And this would explain why, with horses the words are reversed and not with sleight animals. The things you find wandering around the web ...

This is just one of several references that say the same thing - now how about the reality of it, folks??

some great info about harnesses etc but please only run your dog in the cool never in temps as we are experiences right now. shouldnt be above 12degrees and never when humid. also be careful with the surface so their pads are not wripped apart.

its great exercise but be careful cos if not done correctly or under control you could seriously injure your dog. Great you want to give it a go though

what's wrong with 'left' and 'right' ? :confused:

People use the mushing commands such as haw, gee etc so anybody can run your dog for you. this is useful at a rally and when you have lots of dogs. left/right would work as long as your consistant. but you do need to do it so you can control your dog and prevent a terrible accident/injury to you and your dog.