hi from a new husky owner

LamboLilly

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to the pack. Huskies are great dogs if you know what to expect and can handle their needs :) there's tons of info here on the forum as well as online and in books.

A few things to be aware of

-Huskies have a high prey drive and while many live with cats and other small animals it is advised to always supervise them

-Most advise not to let a husky run off lead unless in a secure place. They are really fast, love to run and again have a high prey drive

-Huskies are escape artists so make sure any fenced in place has tall fences and are dig proof

-Huskies can be destructive when bord so best to crate them when left alone (this is a personal choice however :))

-Huskies blow their coats twice a year (many say each period lasts 6 months lol) So be prepared for hair

All in all huskies are great dogs for thoes who can handle their negitives.

If you have any questions feel free to post up a thread or have a look around the site. Tons of friendly people here and tons of info and personal experiences.

:welcome: What a lovely looking pup you have. Hope Lambo is settling in. There is tons of advice on this forum and loads of really knowledgeable husky owners. So if you have any concerns ask away and I am sure that there will be someone here who will be able to help you. It's almost 24/7 as there are so many members all over the world. Keep the pictures coming.

there you go guys i will get some better ones over time im sure but he dosnt like staying still at the min

Know JUST what you mean about not staying still for pics:D Welcome to the pack, your boy Lambo is a real cutie! Should start your own photo album for him. For advice you should read this over; http://www.siberianrescue.com/seneca.htm Is There a Siberian in Your Future? DON'T LEAVE YOUR CHOICE TO CHANCE.BE AN INFORMED OWNER, NOT A SORRY ONE. Also, I would recommend getting a crate for him to sleep in and crate train him as soon as you can-ours came to love his, we just wish we would've gotten one sooner to save on slippers he's chewed and other things. With that in mind, get him plenty of toys and things to chew on to occupy him with. Also, read the post I will bump up for you regarding bite inhibition, it helped us as our pups razor-sharp puppy teeth made mincemeat out of my arms. The name of the post is; Bite inhibition; the most important thing you can teach your dog~by Magical Merlin. If you have any questions, feel absolutely free to ask, the members are so friendly( just like thier Husky's) and reply pretty quick, too! Again, welcome :up:

cheers for all the lovely comments and welcomes he is really cute :D

i am from uk i live in lincolnshire i am getting a crate at some point this week so will start with that he is at the vets on friday for his jab and a micro chip.

he is being good allready we have had him 4 days and he allready sits on command and goes to his bed when i tell him which im impressed about but when he is all ready to go out we are going to take him to training im just trying to get him toilet trained at the min