Need help with toilet training!

pandora's_box

I just don't know what to do anymore. In certain ways my husky has been easier to toilet train than my maltese but in some ways not!

During the day she's mostly fine. She's out the back a lot but if she's inside she doesn't have any accidents as long as the back door is open.

Also, she sleeps in my bedroom and almost every single morning I wake up to wee near the door and quite often huge dog poos. It's disgusting!!!! I can't leave her out the back at night because we're already having problems with the neighbours and dogs barking during the day (well my maltese terrier barking), and I can't lock her anywhere else because she destroys everything. Not sure if I can try crate training since she hasn't been crate trained at all?

I've been told to feed her her evening meal earlier. Not sure if that will work? The last few months I've also stopped having water for her in the bedroom at night, not sure if that's cruel or not, and that hasn't worked either.

Is there any way to train her to nudge me awake when she has to go, or even whinge, whine or come get me during the day when the back door is closed? I've always left the back door open during the day/evening but I need to start closing it.

Or even a way to teach her to hold on longer???

Oh and she's about 9-10 months old now!! I thought she'd be fully toilet trained by now!!

Thank you :).

can u not try n work out what time shes going n take her out b4 hand - set an alarm for a few hours after uve gone to bed so u wake up let her out n then go bk to sleep so she doesnt get chance to go inside - she is obviously only doing it because she NEEDS to go - specially if shes good all the other times

have a look at this link too --> http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1171 <-- hopefully that will help :)

• 4 months later...

i agree when i was in training class my teacher said that if you have problems with pooping and peeping in the house you should either make a schedule on what times your dogs goes to the bathroom at and follow it. when your dog does go outside reward him/her and while your sibe is out of the cage always keep a watchful eye out for any signs that he/she is going to go. when you catch your dog about to go quickly grab the coler and bring him/her inside. if you like you could perches some baby gates so she/he does not wander upstairs and go.

good luck.:)

P.S do not ever when you catch your dog going push its face into its pee or poop (if you were a dog would you like it?)

Also, she sleeps in my bedroom and almost every single morning I wake up to wee near the door and quite often huge dog poos. It's disgusting!!!!

Not sure if I can try crate training since she hasn't been crate trained at all?

I've been told to feed her her evening meal earlier. Not sure if that will work? The last few months I've also stopped having water for her in the bedroom at night, not sure if that's cruel or not, and that hasn't worked either.

Is there any way to train her to nudge me awake when she has to go, or even whinge, whine or come get me during the day when the back door is closed? I've always left the back door open during the day/evening but I need to start closing it.

Or even a way to teach her to hold on longer???

Oh and she's about 9-10 months old now!! I thought she'd be fully toilet trained by now!!

Thank you :).

I paraphrased your quote a bit, hope you don't mind. (;

This sounds exactly like me maybe four or five months ago. My girl used to wake up five or six times during the night to go pee (never poos, thankfully!). Where abouts does your girl sleep? If she's close enough, say on your bed or in her own bed next to yours, you could try attaching a lead to her collar and your wrist at bed time. That way you should get a bit of a jolt when she gets up to go.

Feeding her at lunchtime / afternoon might help you, it did for me. If you feed her one meal a day at around the same time, you can try and estimate how long it takes her to digest/excrete it by when she goes next and work backwards from there.

If you've ever trained her using clicker training I definitely suggest doing what BingBlaze'n'Skyla says and try to teach her to nudge a bell/push a button/do anything to warn you she wants to go out. Even if you haven't tried clicker training, give it a shot.

My problem was that my girl wanted to go pee every few hours while I was asleep (at it's worst it was once an hour), so she'd wake me up constantly. I found out after a while that she slept perfectly fine in my mum's room and wouldn't move until my mum woke up, so it ended up being a matter of her just being in a routine of doing it when she was in my room. It all ended when I got a crate. It took a few nights of her crying for an hour or so before falling asleep and waking up every now and then to whinge but it effectively stopped her getting up at all hours. Now she sleeps all night and I know if she does start making a fuss during the night it's because she's busting (usually because I've forgotten to let her out before bed). So I'd definitely recommend getting a crate. Not only will it help with the toilet training issue, if you introduce her to it properly it'll help with your 'destroying everything while you're out' problem too. (:

Best of luck!

I agree what others have mentioned, routine is key fixed meal times earlier on and then toilet times where you physically take her out and praise when she goes. And then bedtime routine, its not too late to start crate training as long as its introduced properly and you are consistant its hard work to start with but definitely worth it as life is easier in the long run miska is 4months old and now rarely has an accident at night maybe the odd puddle. Keep us posted with how everything is going best of luck :)