Hurricane Irene

Removed #5

All you Brits can ignore this ....

We have many of our US members on the east coast and I'm wondering if you are getting out of the way of Hurricane Irene. I've been watching the projections and DelMarVa, DC, NYC, Boston and other points both north and south seem to be in line for some serious wind and flooding. At the moment it's a cat 3 with possibility of cat 4 before it makes landfall - as the weather services are calling it "an extreme hurricane", slow moving and wet!

Y'all take care of yourselves and if you think about it, drop us a note to let us know your okay?

I am on a stained glass forum which has a number of members on the east coast. They seem to be taking it in their stride - and stocking up on certain supplies as they expect to be without electricity for a while. Amazing. We don't have extreme weather conditions here in SA, so if this happened here, I'd be very, very scared..

By the time it reaches me it'll be just a tropical storm - so they say. We'll get wind and rain but that might be it; still it should make for an interesting weekend. For those who'll be more affected, hope things aren't too bad for you.

I am on a stained glass forum which has a number of members on the east coast. They seem to be taking it in their stride - and stocking up on certain supplies as they expect to be without electricity for a while. Amazing. We don't have extreme weather conditions here in SA, so if this happened here, I'd be very, very scared..

The problem with this type of storm is *NOT* the wind but the associated water. As it stands now, it's still a low level cat 3 at 115 mph but it's only moving at 14 mph going up the east coast. That means it's going to take a real slow trip and pull a *LOT* of water off the ocean and relocate it onto the hills and mountains - unless it moves on shore early (so it diminishes) there's probably going to be a lot of flooding,

By the time it reaches me it'll be just a tropical storm - so they say. We'll get wind and rain but that might be it; still it should make for an interesting weekend. For those who'll be more affected, hope things aren't too bad for you.

Aye, it's not due to hit the maritimes till late in the weekend or Monday, and you're right, by the time it hits there it'll have been over land for a good while and probably be either a tropical storm of depression.

Having lived through a few of these on the Gulf Coast, hunkering down with this type of storm is *NOT* the thing to do.

Stay safe all //al

Hurricane party time!!! What else can you do with no power for days?! Or for us in FL, a "not going to hit us" hurricane party. :) Hope everyone north of us is okay! Here's to hoping it will go further east and stay out in the ocean.

We still have power. Didn't get much rain at all, but it was a bit gusty yesterday. And yeah, the w/o power was just for the party line. When a hurricane does hit us, there are usually a lot of hurricane parties since scool is usually out and people have no power.

We've been getting some rain and a little south of us near St. Cloud it's very wet! But I did hear that further south, they need some rain.

:grouphug:Fingers crossed everyone makes it through safe without too much wind damage or flooding.

I hope everyone stays safe and gets the heck out of there! I heard on the news that people in NYC aren't evacuating because they either don't believe a hurricane will hit them or it won't be that severe.

Really, people.

Laine, the jet stream is supposed to take a dip tonight and Saturday - if it goes as projected that will push it north and some east. You're right though, when it gets up as far as you are it should be just a big blow.

I was in Houston when they tried to evacuate there, that was hurricane Rita in 2005. Since I was south of town, I headed further south and then inland. Listening to the reports of people trying to head north / west / east <??> were ludicrous - if it hadn't the potential of being so serious, it could have been funny.

Unless they get real lucky and the jet stream pushes it further off shore, DC / NYC are gonna get really wet; they're talking 8 - 10 foot storm surge along the coast there - and it amplifies when it's trapped (like in the Chesapeake bay). I pray the gods are good but people will be people (read stupid!)

Take care all //al