Forcing Mice to be stressed for "science"

Staceybob

There's also a breed of beef cattle that have been bred to have two sets of muscle in their buttox (it appeared as a random mutation about 50 years ago and from that one bull it was then deliberately bred into other cows). This has caused problems now because it is physically impossible for the cows to deliver calves naturally - every single calf has to be delivered by c-section. But humans find the rump so damn tasty.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this doesn't turn into a flaming war because topics like these are sensitive to people. Personally, I like eating meat although I like munching on salads and broccoli too. I'm still passionate about animals, which is why I'm studying to become a zoologist, even though I like eating meat.

Although, I only buy my meat locally where I know they aren't fed antibiotics (there's a big problem with overuse of antibiotics now.) and where I know they are cared for. Sure, the meat is more expensive, but I think it is worth it.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic.

I like topics like this, it's nice to see where everyone stands. And I think this has been a very tame discussion so far, I'm impressed. It's so easy for things like this to turn nasty very quickly but it's been handled really well here :)

Personally I'm against organic meat, milk and egg produce. It sounds great in principle but when you think about it practically it leaves a lot to be desired. It basically insists that an animal should already be suffering before they will treat it, rather than providing preventative medicine.

I like topics like this, it's nice to see where everyone stands. And I think this has been a very tame discussion so far, I'm impressed. It's so easy for things like this to turn nasty very quickly but it's been handled really well here :)

Personally I'm against organic meat, milk and egg produce. It sounds great in principle but when you think about it practically it leaves a lot to be desired. It basically insists that an animal should already be suffering before they will treat it, rather than providing preventative medicine.

Oh - I didn't mean I bought organic things. I buy all my meat and eggs from the local farmer's market every weekend. They don't sell milk there, unfortunately.

New thread for vegetarianism/meat produce is needed me thinks lol.

Stacey xxx

Yeah LOL .... then I can prove how unhealthy it is and how we are evolved to have to eat meat to stay healthy LMAO

Sorry .. just had to.

i think if you've used any kind of pharmaceutical your part of what is responsible for the suffering of hundreds if not thousands of horseshoe crabs. we've been harvesting their blood to test new drugs for years. we catch them, bleed them, and then throw them back into the ocean. the bleeding process is believed to have no negative effect on them but some other research has proved that it can dramatically decrease their life span. before horseshoe crabs were harvested for their blood (their blood is unique in its fast response to pathogens and the like which is why we use it to test drugs), we injected our new drugs into cute little bunnies and had to wait to see the effects. a lot of people get pissed off when you make cute things like mice and bunnies suffer but what about the horseshoe crab? unlike the lab rats, guinea pigs, etc that are bred for testing with no threat to their population, the horseshoe crab is a species that we know almost nothing about. we don't know much about their breeding or population. they were thought to be extinct not long ago. they're truely a living fossil and instead of showing respect to one of the oldest species still alive and marveling at this fact, we use them to our own benefit. do the advantages outweigh the moral risk? usually i'd say yes because i eat meat. i support the companies who make animals suffer because i like to eat chickens and cows. i've gotten over it knowing that this is the purpose they exist and are bred: consumption. sometimes mice and rabbits are bred for experimentation. i get it. so don't get so mad about animals fulfilling their destinies. they're helping us discover a lot of awesome things! science is dangerous, sometimes terrible, but wonderful. i'd be more pissed that they're using the mice for something as silly as finding out more about gray hair, it happens. we're a society that is so superficial that now our science mice have to be involved in our vanity.

but unlike mice and bunnies, the horseshoe crab isn't bred for our pharmaceutical needs. but no one cries about them because they're not fluffy.

I'm all for testing on mice.

Well done to the poster for being brave creating a good adult discussion about real life, with real issues, that have real implications on everyones lives.

Stress is killer; i feel that the original newsparer artical was written is such a way to eveoke those intital feelings, from it's readers and to sensationalise the effort and hard work that the team of scientists have to go through to produce results, that fitin with the moral and ethical codes that in place globally, with no exceptions. I'm all for the "curing" of conditons at the expense of mice.

Regards

Boondog

Yeah LOL .... then I can prove how unhealthy it is and how we are evolved to have to eat meat to stay healthy LMAO

Sorry .. just had to.

The funny thing is, I know how unhealthy it is. I've nearly died from being vegetarian because of a lack of iron, but yet I still can't bring myself to eat it.

:DDid you know the opposite of vegetarian is a normal person

We've always known I'm not normal Dunc ;)

Stacey xxx