Stay Safe

Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

husky Hugs to you all.

Get out of the way if you can.

Button up in your basement if you can't.

husky Hugs to you all.

Get out of the way if you can.

Button up in your basement if you can't.

Not sure if the basement would be a particularly good place to be - they're expecting something around a foot of rain in some areas, which could flood a basement pretty quickly... Kind of one of those situations where you ask yourself, would you rather risk being blown away or drowned?

Not sure if the basement would be a particularly good place to be - they're expecting something around a foot of rain in some areas, which could flood a basement pretty quickly... Kind of one of those situations where you ask yourself, would you rather risk being blown away or drowned?

Yup, good point. :jawdrop:

In that case. . .

"Get the hell outta dodge"

we in the UK have flash floods from time to time & we think we're hard done to having the inconvenience of a few inches of rain or the odd road closed, but nothing on this scale. I really hope you all stay safe & Irene decides it's more fun playing away from people or she runs out of steam. Batten down the hatches or make the great escape, but whatever, look after yourselves

Wish I could remember the right expression used in Hurricane Country - it boils down to "Run from the water, stay for the wind"

Wind at that speed isn't nice and causes a lot of damage; Water, on the other hand, can cause a lot of damage and kills too easily!

Wish I could remember the right expression used in Hurricane Country - it boils down to "Run from the water, stay for the wind"

Wind at that speed isn't nice and causes a lot of damage; Water, on the other hand, can cause a lot of damage and kills too easily!

I kinda think you can breath and avoid things in the wind .... You cant breath in water, so its the only thing to avoid.

I kinda think you can breath and avoid things in the wind .... You cant breath in water, so its the only thing to avoid.

The problem is the wind sending things flying, often broken into shattered pieces from huge enough to crush or impale you, to shrapnel...

The problem is the wind sending things flying, often broken into shattered pieces from huge enough to crush or impale you, to shrapnel...

You could potentially be injured or killed granted, but if your under water its not potential.

Even with the billions of dollars worth of damages everyone that I've seen talking about the storm says they were lucky. It came in as a cat 1 and all of the predictions were expecting a cat 3 or better. They were predicting 10 ft storm surges and I think the highest I've seen was 5 ft, enough to flood streets in low lieing areas but nothing like the damages they expected. I can't imagine the long term damages if the underground had gotten flooded in NYC. There's still the potential of flooding from the water as it comes down out of the hills and mountains but it really looks like the worst is over.

The maritime provinces of Canada still have to put up with a storm, but at least it's now just a storm .....

It's brutal over there. I hope everyone stays safe - although if I was there I would have left as soon as I heard the news!

It always amazes me that people will "hunker down" for a hurricane party ... I may be chicken when it comes to high winds and water, but I'm going to be safe where I can be a live chicken!

You could potentially be injured or killed granted, but if your under water its not potential.

Oh, I'm not arguing about that! Still, especially if there are tornadoes of any size in the mix, you have to think about maybe staying in the basement as long as it doesn't get too bad down there, until the initial /at that point worse risk from winds have gone... Like Al, I would have left the area and tried to avoid BOTH risks!

Oh, I'm not arguing about that! Still, especially if there are tornadoes of any size in the mix, you have to think about maybe staying in the basement as long as it doesn't get too bad down there, until the initial /at that point worse risk from winds have gone... Like Al, I would have left the area and tried to avoid BOTH risks!

Come live in the UK LOL .... avoid em all