cameras

jules dief taz tor

Talk to Sandy as well (MajorMom2U) - she has a Canon. And it obviously does a great job too....

First thing I did was decide what I actually wanted to shoot - for me, it's the grandson and animals and closeups of my flowers, visiting creatures (birds, squirrels and such) in the gardens. The Nikon D60 is fairly light,so you can take it with you many places, but can be cumbersome if you're walking the dogs at the same time. I have a little Kodak for that kind of stuff.

The D60 has the same body as the D40 -- so you can save some money by not 'upgrading' to the D60 - wishing I'd have known that yesterday! LOL

like sarah I aint really knowledgable when it comes to cameras, as long as it takes a picture then that does for me lol. We have a Samsung Digimax A50 which I think goes up to 5 mega pixel. It does the job for me lol

Becky (Austinville), Dunc and Sandy (Majormom2u) are the best guys to speak to :)

I've been around cameras all my life, and use them in my profession. There are a couple of things to consider.

Optical zoom is much better for quality than digital zoom.

Some digital cameras require you keep very still while the photo is being processed and saved, otherwise you get a blurred image. So look for a camera with image stabilization.

Megapixels is the more the merrier. You can always reduce the quality on the computer with the right software, but it's real hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

TTL (through the lens) vs. PNS (point and shoot or view finder) - TTL allows you to view the image as the lens will capture it. Also gives you many lens options. But, much more bulk and equipment to care for. Also, you'll be limited to digital stills most likely. If video is something you want, best go with a PNS type.

PNS cameras have come a long way in the last few years. The basic issues to consider here are control placement, megapixels, zoom range, storage capacity. The problem with these types of cameras comes into play when doing closeups. Parallax enters into the mix, where what you see through the view finder is offset by the distance to the lens. For distance shots, this is not an issue, but for closeups it becomes more dramatic.

Storage media - some cameras use universal format storage devices, others use priority storage. Pick a camera that uses universal format storage devices.

Builtin flash is a must, as is autofocus. Some cameras use centerweighted sensors for autofocus, some give you an option os centerweighted or offset. Also, with flash, some cameras have a red eye reduction feature that sends out a quick flash to make the person or dog eye pupils close down, so the main flash does not bounce back with red picked up from the back of the eye ball.

I could go on at length. A good site to check for information and comparisons, plus articles, is http://www.crutchfield.com. They also sell the stuff, but they by far have a vast array of units for comparison, plus a wealth of information to help get you informed.

Depends on what you want it for really Jules, yeah I know taking pictures.........lol

I suppose you have to ask yourself how you will use it, what quality you want from it, how much you want to spend and whether size is an issue.

As for my preference, for around 500 i'd get a Canon Eos 450D with around 12 megapixels, or for around 400 a Canon Eos 1000D with around 10 megapixels, I would also consider the Sony Alpha 350 for about 400 with 14.2 megapixels.

Steve

I got a Nikon D40x its the best I've ever owned I take 1000's of pics some of which you will see knocking about on here, like as been said already 1st things are price and size good cameras don't come cheap mine was about 650 with 2 lenses for me these are important because I like to do distance shots as well as the normal type.

Jules maybe if you give us some idea how much you intend to spend and what you intend to do with it ( dont say take pics of I'll come slap you lol )

BTW before I got this camera Sue had no interest it taking pics now she knows more about the thing and uses it more than me :)

i want to take pics lmfao , no seriiously i want a camera i can take out and about , have you ever noticed the dogs do the funniest things when you dont have a camera with you ?????????? , i can also get quite random with close up shots , took hundreds of rock pics on our holiday , price ? well thats one of them if i find something i want i will get it lol, i really want something quite quick and easy to set up, maybe with a simple menu for picking different options, and something my camera is no good at is moving pics, they always come out blurry

action shots I know a little (prob not everything) about getting good action shots is you want to get one where you can choose the shutters speed (how quick it takes the photo) for this kind of use. With the faster shutter mean you are more likely to get that great action shot of your boys and girl in action :)

If you dont have this option, like me, and you want a pics of lets say Dief and Taz running around the garden them follow them with the camera at roughtly their speed (the closest to their speed you follow them then the better the pic is) and then take the photos whilst following them with the camera at the same speed. Then you are more likely to get a shot and the highlight of the photo, Dief and Taz running around, comes out much better and then the background will just be blurred. It usually works for me but as always it aint a pro pic and will never beat the kind of action shot you can get with the right camera.