Husky Coats

Alan Frith

Looking on this website and others, most of the Huskies have relatively shortish coats. Do you have them groomed this way or are some of them naturally shorter-haired than others?

My dogs coat is naturally long(ish) and I don't want to ruin it by getting him cut too short.

Answers on a postcard please lol

[ATTACH]19845[/ATTACH]

post-5834-13585986333817_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Luna is actually a husky cross labrador so I'm not sure on how "husky" her coat is....but I think its fairly standard (apart from some blonde showing through).

I've not known of anyone trimming a long coat, a good brush would probably be better....although you might want to invest in a furminator! ; )

LOL, is that a real bit of dog equipment......... whenever I see other Huskies the majority of them have relatively short to medium coats, whereas his is longish......even after being groomed it still looks nothing like the majority of dogs on this site.....ah well, just have to give him a No1 all over ha ha

Alan....any chance your boy has a bit of Mally in him? Would explain the longer coat.

(I might be completely wrong)

Not entirely sure, his Mum was definitely all Husky and was quite small, whereas his Dad was very big but didn't look like a Malamute (no squashed face etc ha ha)....hard to tell, his history doesn't say, may well be the case....

There may be a tiny bit in there somewhere, although someone told me that Mals never have blue eyes so I can't imagine there's much in him (just enough to give him that gorgeous coat!) Google furminator....I know a lot of people on here use them & apparently you can pick them up on eBay a bit cheaper. Luna's not had a massive molt yet so we've just got a regular brush.

There may be a tiny bit in there somewhere, although someone told me that Mals never have blue eyes so I can't imagine there's much in him (just enough to give him that gorgeous coat!) Google furminator....I know a lot of people on here use them & apparently you can pick them up on eBay a bit cheaper. Luna's not had a massive molt yet so we've just got a regular brush.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look. I do have a special brush for Husky underfur and it works a treat, but anything that can help must be worth a look :o)

Looks as if he could be sporting the 'wooly' look.

Ryn's was one of a litter of four. Three sport appropriate 'normal' siberian coats and the fourth is a wooly....

@sutsibe can provide you with more information. If I remember correctly, it's simply a gene. The AKC considers it a fault, but like perfection, 'fault' lies in the eye of the beholder. I think they're quite beautiful, but the grooming would absolutely drive me insane!

Looks as if he could be sporting the 'wooly' look.

Ryn's was one of a litter of four. Three sport appropriate 'normal' siberian coats and the fourth is a wooly....

@sutsibe can provide you with more information. If I remember correctly, it's simply a gene. The AKC considers it a fault, but like perfection, 'fault' lies in the eye of the beholder. I think they're quite beautiful, but the grooming would absolutely drive me insane!

Many thanks, I will definitely have a look into this...cheers :)

Yep, he looks like a 'wooly' to me! It's a recessive gene in the breed that shows up from time to time. It does take more care than a regular coat, and because it tends to mat more and generally gets/stays wet more easily and longer than a regular coat, it isn't as good at protecting the dog in wet and cold weather, which is why it's considered a fault. Regardless - he's gorgeous!

Yep, he looks like a 'wooly' to me! It's a recessive gene in the breed that shows up from time to time. It does take more care than a regular coat, and because it tends to mat more and generally gets/stays wet more easily and longer than a regular coat, it isn't as good at protecting the dog in wet and cold weather, which is why it's considered a fault. Regardless - he's gorgeous!

Do you have any recent pics of Yew (AKA Buddy) that you could post?