Alan Frith

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just lucky I got one that needs tons of grooming I guess...lol

If I recall, and I know I'll be corrected --- that's called binding time!

Living on the desert with a short haired dog you'd think I wouldn't have anything to brush out. For some reason for the last couple of weeks Misty's been having a little blow ... ???????

Kuma has a short coat, it's really only thick/bushy around his neck and shoulders, down his back and around his bum. Huskies coming from racing lines tend to have a bit shorter coat than standard. The wooly coats like your husky has is really pretty but like has been pointed out is considered a fault by breed standard. But not many huskies are up to breed standard, I know Kuma isn't lol Doesn't change the fact they are lovely dogs. Don't cut the coat though, I've read it takes forever for it to grow back properly.

Alan I have one with a long coat and one with a short coat. As far as I know you should never cut a huskies fur as it will damage the regrowth. i rememeber being stopped in the street when Indi was little and being told that the long haired huskies are rare and have been out bred. We just love her:)

Kuma has a short coat, it's really only thick/bushy around his neck and shoulders, down his back and around his bum. Huskies coming from racing lines tend to have a bit shorter coat than standard. The wooly coats like your husky has is really pretty but like has been pointed out is considered a fault by breed standard. But not many huskies are up to breed standard, I know Kuma isn't lol Doesn't change the fact they are lovely dogs. Don't cut the coat though, I've read it takes forever for it to grow back properly.

Yes so have I, and I've also heard it goes all horrible and wirey........

There's a tread or 2 floating around the site about people who have had their huskies hair cute. The consensus pretty much is it's a bad idea lol :P

Seems to be the norm.....I have spoken to people who have had them cut, but they then have to keep it at this length as it does grow back all wrong

Their fur prtects them in winter and in summer, their own heat control so thats why it should never be cut. I have one Long haired and one short. They blow twice a year and yes its fur city lol. ( why oh why can't they blow their coats at the same time!!! ) Wolf looks supper skinny when he blows for the summer months but when he gets his winter coat he gets a main like a lion and is really bushy all over. Saskia's ( the short furred one ) does not look much different because her's is short but really dence fur.