picking up our boy tonight

emma.bryan

Are you keeping him indoors? If you have a crate for him, I would suggest crating him tonight in your room (if you are keeping him indoors) its up to you. When you give him water tonight after his long trip home as he will be thirsty, take him to a designated (where do you want him to potty?) area to go in, and that will be his spot from then on after about 20 minutes a good time for their little bladders. Other than that, if you have toys already to play with, if not, you can just play with him and give him attention-thats what we did and ours is great. Oh-put up your shoes and slippers and anything you don't want ripped or chewed to shreds if you don't have your crate yet:D Oh yeah, the important thing-:congrats:

mine is more of a shy girl and she didn't really want anything to do with us when we got her home. she just slept a lot. she did start to get anxious, looking for her littermates and calling out to them. it was sad to see but after a while we got her to play a bit and relax. you do want to keep an eye on him if you don't have a crate. not only to prevent chewing of inappropriate things but also for potty training. some people go with the paper training method but i dislike it because it's actually teaching hime that it's ok to "go" inside. just take him out every 20-30 minutes and look for potty signals (sniffing or scratching around for a good spot for relief). if you've got all that figured, toys, treats, and attention should make him feel right at home.

I'm with Bec....though just like with kids, a little extra love never hurt anyone, especially when they are new and confused.

IMO that first time we bring our puppies home and what we do with them can set the scene straight away. IMO (for eg) one of the biggest mistakes people make is taking time off when their puppy comes home, if it's outside of your normal routine, don't do it! Start as you mean to go on and implement the routine you will have long term from day one.