Travel arrangements?

Emma&Cookie

I'm having a dilemma... :(

Cookie is an absolute pain in the bum when she goes in the car, so...as a result, she hardly ever goes in it! I know this just makes it worse as she does need to get used to it :(

My OH is a total obsessive freak when it comes to the car (even though it's mine!) and he absolutely hates it when she goes in the car, as she gets hair absolutely everywhere! She won't sit still, and shes generally just a total pain!

So...my question is, what kind of car does everyone have, and what's the set up for when dogs travel with you?

In an ideal world, id just buy a bigger car (at the min I have a 52 reg Peugeot 206)

But if I had my own way, and a bigger bank balance, I'd have a beastly Overfinch.... But that's a whole new topic :D

So... What car, and where do the dogs travel (back seat, boot etc).

Think I'm after some inspiration more than anything, as ive been out with my measuring tape (lol!) and unless I take the back seats out (he'd mega flip out then!) then I'm not gonna be able to fit a crate in it :(

We have a c-max which has a large boot big enough for a crate or a dog guard. My two travel well in the car on the back seat looking out the windows :) my OH has a 110 landrover and when they are in there they travel in a crate as they insist on jumping over the seats into the front so they can look out :) they travel well like this as well

Indi is like a child as soon as the car moves she falls asleep until you stop :) guess we are lucky

I would get her a doggy seat belt, so that she can't jump around as much, and try to get her out for short trips, here and there, so she does get used to riding. Alternately, take her on a longer trip someplace - maybe a meet up? - and get her out and walking/swimming/exercising/socializing so that she is completely worn out when you put her back in. The next time, she may still be a bit crazy, but will likely settle in much more quickly.

The last two cars we've had have both been hatchbacks.

So our guys are always in the boot, with a STRONG divider

to stop Darwin climbing over into the main cabin.

Daughtry and Echo usually settle down in the back without a fuss

but Darwin destroyed two dividers within seconds.

I've now combined both and they are cable tied to the back seats.

Really it's about safety.

A travel stressing husky trying to climb into the drivers lap is no, fun and dangerous.

A travel stressing Husky whining and crying on the back seat is a major distraction to the driver.

If you have a crash the last thing you want is a 3 stone husky slamming into the back of your seat

or flying past you through the windscreen.

If they are on the back seat then a seatbelt attachment or harness.

If you've got room then the ideal situation is a crate in the boot.

Or as we do a divider blocking access into the main part of the car and dogs in the boot.

We have an Opel Corsa LDV. Perfect for wet dogs :)

We had clips installed and we clip their traveling leash to it so they don't/can't walk around. We have also put two foam pillows down for them, to make the ride more comfortable. The window between the cab and back is open, so they can put their heads through and talk/shout at us :rolleyes:

my dads car is an estate - dont ask me what kind - i will find out tho - they will go in the boot with the dog guard up - but if its just skyla going she will sit in the back with me

when i get my car - it will more then likely be my grandads corsa - n she will either go in the boot or on the back seat with a seatbelt attachment - im not gonna be too fussed bout the fur tho - if people dont like it they dont have 2 get in my car lol - but i will probs end up putting a blanket on the back seats

Harley travels in a crate in the back of my Mitsubishi Animal, its got a sports utility top with Windows I can pop open for ventilation. There's also a pair of Windows between the cab and the back so I blast sitcom thru when hot. When Wifey isn't in the truck he rides nicely laid out on the back seat...Wifey drives a nice convertible car which is a doggy no-go zone...although he would rock sitting in the front seat with the wind in his ears! (that'll never happen for safety reasons, let alone Wifey letting him do it!)

$(KGrHqYOKj!E5W9!lpC!BO(p(UJkEg~~60_14.JPGmine is one of these toyota imports, has 8 seats which all swivel round or fold up and the crate can fit in easily or the dogs sit in the back area. Fab car don't know what I will do when it finally dies. The pic is pinched off ebay as I don't have any on my phone at the moment of my own car.

mines a shogun lwb 3.5 they travel in the back or sometimes on the back seat with seat belt attachments ( which ARE required now by law for any dog traveling on a seat..so i was informed by a Policeman)... though ive looked and cant find conformation apart from highway code section..... must admit i think it should be compulsory same as any passenger... for their safety as well as ours.....

I have a Ford Focus convertible. The girls sit on the back seat with an RAC black hammock to protect the seats and with seat belt attachments. They sit/lay really nicely and love the car.

Storm jumped in the other day while I was getting shopping out. (obviously never been in the car with the roof down whilst its moving).

post-6534-13586088357873_thumb.jpg

post-482-13585987515704_thumb.jpg

we have a focus 2 door hatch .Vlad sits in the boot with a dog guard bought from aldi he seems fine and mostly lies down and sleeps.We did have a problem with him getting travel sick but a static strip fitted and he has been fine ever since.Today we tried him in the back seat with a dog seat belt he was ok but the seats are coverd in hair now ,so we have decided the boot it will be from here on in ..

Guest Nush&Koda

I have a Jeep Cherokee and they sit perfectly in the boot! They nearly almost go straight to sleep and are no problem.

James has a Mini Cooper S and they laye on the back seats and again are well behaved, although the seats now have an inch thich husky fur lining!

I used to have a Seat Toledo when we first got them, that was a saloon, so they had to lay on the back seats, but they were always fine and well behaved.

We travelled 2hrs with them from the breeders so they have been used to the car since day 1 and they normally go straight to sleep or watch the world go by out of the windows, they have never tried to jump over the seats.... yet! and they have not destroyed any of the instead of the car!

We also have two cavalier king charles spaniels who are 6 and 8 and they are an absolute nightmare in the car, they wont stay still and they cry and holler the whole time!

I have a 5 door, a hatchback. Blue hangs out in the back seat, usually standing os sitting with his head over the middle arm rest staring out the front windsheild. He doesn't move around much, but when he's with me, he rarely lays down.

He's also sent a fair amount of time in my dad's full sized minivan (montana). In that he sit one of the back (middle) seats, and as long as no one talks or touches him, he ends up curling up and laying down.

Have you tried driving without your hubby? One anxious personality is all it takes to make a hard to control dog. Make sure you are also not worried about the hair.

My mom is very any hair, and she had to drive with my pup once, while he was in the middle of a blow. She put a huge pincic-ish blanket on the seat and put a reusable grocery bag between the head rest of the front seats so that blue wouldn't be tempted to join her in the front, and that was it.

You might want to look into doggy car hamocks, or seat beats, there's this neat one i've been wanting to try, its on a rope type thing that allows the dog to moce from one side of the car to the other, but they are still attacked to the back seat.

If it's just me and Blue, we are usually driving to my parents it's anywhere from 2 hrs to 3 hrs depending on traffic. If he's not kenneled when I get to my parents, he comes everywhere we go! So he can spend 5, 6 hrs in the car, he get's breaks when he get to stores, or complexes. And he really loves going garage sail-ing.

He's also been shopping with me before, almost always just in town, Subway, pet shop, grocery store. He loves car rides, has since the moment I adopted him. It was a 45 minute drive from the Humane Society to my parents place, and then a few hours later a 2 hr drive to my hour.

If your pup get's all excited when getting in a car, have you tried just sitting in the car with him/her not driving, just being?

Normally if we take her in the car somewhere (it's not that often, but she's gonna be in it alot at the weekend) then she has her harness on, and the seatbelt is clipped through that. She is safe that way, but she still doesn't like the car, and she just gets herself in a panic and get tied up in knots.

My next plan of action, is to get a doggy hammock, and see if that will make a difference.

I'd happily give her the boot, but as mentioned above, it's a 3 door Peugeot 206, and it's not exactly a massive boot, so i reckon it will have to be either the hammock, or absolutely cover the back of the car with blankets lol.