What do you do to entertain a 3 month Husky ? : /

Taylor Myers

I seriously need ideas. I have 6 different toys that will not entertain my Husky, she hates food traps (completely uninterested), we go on walks around the neighbourhood and she comes back even more hyper as I can't run her for months and months still, and I train her LOADS. What else can I do to keep her entertained ??? Dx As she is INSANELY hyper and keeps trying to bite and kill me, and every second she doesn't have my attention she goes into a howling frenzy. : /

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to respond with the same response I did in your other thread. I'll just phrase it differently.

Imagine for a moment that you've decided that you're going to rent your spare bedroom (don't know whether you have one or not, if not imagine that too :) ). You put your add in the paper and interview potential house mates - and decide that Janet (for lack of a better name) looks like she'd be good, so she moves in.

The first night she's tuckered out with work and moving so she just calls it a night and crashes. She gets up early, eats breakfast and heads off to work. You get up, find sugar on the table and her dirty dish in the sink. No big deal, she's just getting her feet on the ground.

She gets home from work, start going a mile a minute about how nice it is to have a place to come home to that's hers (well, the room is hers, right?) and keeps going on about how she loves her job and everyone is so great except for this one dweeb who << blah - blah - blah >> You're about half interested since you're learning about your new roommate and he likes and dislikes.

She calls out and orders a pizza for you both so there's no reason to go into the kitchen and you completely forget about the little mess she left this morning. Not too bad, you're thinking.

Five days later ....

You fix dinner and she cleans up, but leaves the dishes in the sink "to soak"; leaves the full trash bag in the trash can - well, you never did get around to telling her where the dumpster is ... next morning the dishes are still in the sink ..... and you're about to come unglued!

So, you've got a house mate who doesn't do what you think she should - because you and she have never set down and established guidelines for who does what, when .... got the (rotten) picture?

Sorry love, but you're doing the same thing with your Husky. She doesn't know what the rules are because they aren't being enforced. You give her the attention she demands (like the room mate who talks your ear off) because it's easier than putting up the resistance that will make her learn. She isn't going to be interested in her toys because she has you as her toy - she wants attention and she gets it, why should she look to a rubber toy?

She demands attention - it's up to you whether you give it to her or not. She howls / barks - to bad, that is *NOT* the way to get attention. You want some time to yourself - hey, you're the adult human in this picture, take it!

You've said she knows sit - if she starts raising a stink put her in sit; if she won't sit, ignore her till she calms down. I don't believe in crates as punitive - but this is the second time recently that I'd recommend a crate for an out of bounds animal. She's going to howl like there's no tomorrow, but tomorrow, you'll still be there and you'll still give her the opportunity to play and cuddle - and it'll take more than overnight, but she will learn that it's on your terms - not hers.

Al Jones: Thanks alot. I read your last post, but it seriously confused me so thats why I tried again. xDD

This time it made loads more sense, and my main problem was I felt insanely bad when I didn't give her any attention because I'm the only one there to play with her and the fact she starts to go crazy and stuff doesn't help much either. I am doing crate training, but I'm never sure when to put her in her crate or for how long. I just feel like a really bad owner so i try to keep entertaining her with her toys and long walks (can't run yet unfortunately) and giving her attention when she goes mad 'cause I feel like she's not getting what she needs and it's just breaking me up. I'll try my best to use your advice. Thanks : )

Haha oh man, funny joke. Just one is killing me. Imagine two. xD

It's not so far fetched as it sounds. I kept two mixed breed pups from a litter - they occupy each other for hours on end. Sometimes it sounds like they're killing each other (but no blood, so ...) and then they go chasing each other around the yard stirring up a dust cloud like you wouldn't believe. The little female is coming to me more often for attention and we're doing some training - and surprise! she's actually responding!

Misty will play with them sometimes, and I have a big ball (about the size of a basketball) with a handle that Misty plays with, but when she wants pack time she comes to me. Maybe if *I* had another bigger dog she might play with it but who knows.

Yeh, you need to get another husky about her size and age, then you'll be trying to get one of them to come get some cuddle time.

(( and if you do, I'll deny ever having written this!!! :) ))

I'm going to respond with the same response I did in your other thread. I'll just phrase it differently.

Imagine for a moment that you've decided that you're going to rent your spare bedroom (don't know whether you have one or not, if not imagine that too :) ). You put your add in the paper and interview potential house mates - and decide that Janet (for lack of a better name) looks like she'd be good, so she moves in.

The first night she's tuckered out with work and moving so she just calls it a night and crashes. She gets up early, eats breakfast and heads off to work. You get up, find sugar on the table and her dirty dish in the sink. No big deal, she's just getting her feet on the ground.

She gets home from work, start going a mile a minute about how nice it is to have a place to come home to that's hers (well, the room is hers, right?) and keeps going on about how she loves her job and everyone is so great except for this one dweeb who << blah - blah - blah >> You're about half interested since you're learning about your new roommate and he likes and dislikes.

She calls out and orders a pizza for you both so there's no reason to go into the kitchen and you completely forget about the little mess she left this morning. Not too bad, you're thinking.

Five days later ....

You fix dinner and she cleans up, but leaves the dishes in the sink "to soak"; leaves the full trash bag in the trash can - well, you never did get around to telling her where the dumpster is ... next morning the dishes are still in the sink ..... and you're about to come unglued!

So, you've got a house mate who doesn't do what you think she should - because you and she have never set down and established guidelines for who does what, when .... got the (rotten) picture?

Sorry love, but you're doing the same thing with your Husky. She doesn't know what the rules are because they aren't being enforced. You give her the attention she demands (like the room mate who talks your ear off) because it's easier than putting up the resistance that will make her learn. She isn't going to be interested in her toys because she has you as her toy - she wants attention and she gets it, why should she look to a rubber toy?

She demands attention - it's up to you whether you give it to her or not. She howls / barks - to bad, that is *NOT* the way to get attention. You want some time to yourself - hey, you're the adult human in this picture, take it!

You've said she knows sit - if she starts raising a stink put her in sit; if she won't sit, ignore her till she calms down. I don't believe in crates as punitive - but this is the second time recently that I'd recommend a crate for an out of bounds animal. She's going to howl like there's no tomorrow, but tomorrow, you'll still be there and you'll still give her the opportunity to play and cuddle - and it'll take more than overnight, but she will learn that it's on your terms - not hers.

That was a reply and a half!!! Good stuff :)

Magic tricks.

Pull a rabbit outta the hat. be entertained chasing that around the house for a bit :P

Yeah I unfortunately cannot house another Husky at this point in time, but me and future roommate are going to be getting either a Newfoundland dog or Bernese Mountain Dog next year so maybe she'll do better.

If anyone has any ideas on how to keep her entertained without running around hyper and howling like mad, I'll take them ! I still need some more ideas. : S