A Re-Introduction of sorts. . . .

Mazz

I thought perhaps I'd re-introduce myself. Not that I need to, but to give some of those who may not know me as well as others, some insight into what makes this Husky-Owner tick.

My wife, Sally, and I have owned a Husky or two, since 1993. Our first Husky, Elke, was a beautiful Red an White bi-eyed girl. She really challenged us in her first few years of life. We were not prepared, knew little of the breed when we picked her up, thought several times of giving up on her, and eventually somehow we managed to get through the rough parts and enjoyed Elke for almost 15 years.

Oh, it was difficult at first without Elke. And of course, we vowed, "NO MORE DOGS!" But that did not last. A few months later, we had Zoya, a Black and White blue-eyed girl. Zoya was a bit more manageable than Elke. Don't know if it was the fact that we now knew the breed and what to expect, or if Zoya was simply easier to train and had a calmer demeanor. Well now that Zoya is full grown, she is a TOMBOY!! She will outrun, out dig, out jump, and out attack any moving critters in the back yard.

A few months later, in May of 2009, I found Husky-Owners. The thing I quickly found about this forum, was it was different. It was more personable than many forums. I also noticed some members had more than one Husky. Gosh, why would you want more than one? That question became answered the day we rescued Eisa from a local shelter. What a sense of gratification that came with bringing Eisa home. Oh there were some tense moments, even though Zoya and Eisa had met in neutral territory a few days before. But the pack order was soon established. Several months later, we are a two-Husky family and enjoy both ever so much. Eisa is a sweetheart, and loves to have tummy rubs. She is more dainty in her demeanor than Zoya, but they each compliment each other.

In December of 2009, I traveled to the UK on business. While there, I was able to meet some members of Husky-Owners, and their Huskies. Thetford Forest was the scene, and it was simply the best Sunday afternoon I had spent in a long time. Marc and Sarah were most gracious and picked me up, we had a great time, and I think it was that afternoon that I realized how unique this forum is.

I've been a moderator on Husky-Owners for almost a year. There have seen some interesting items come up on posts, some intense debates have taken place, and while I am half-a-world away from the other staff, somehow this place really runs smoothly. Maybe it's because I am half-a-world away! Well, I know it is, let's not kid anyone.

And so, a week from today, the first USA Husky-Owners Camp will begin, at two campsites in beautiful Ackley, Iowa. Pretty amazing! I have been blessed by being a part of Husky-Owners. One of the most important things in life is friendship. Sally and I have met Becky and Gigi, through this forum, and they are simply wonderful people. They are truly great friends and supporters of the breed. I think those who will be attending the Iowa Camp, will find Becky and Gigi to be the best, and will find upon leaving Iowa, that the experience was enriched because of these two.

So no one can say: :worthless: here are a few:

Elke, in her later years. Followed by Zoya in one of her "intense" moments. And finally Eisa, while still at the shelter.

post-44-13586087839214_thumb.jpg

post-44-13586087840735_thumb.jpg

post-44-13586087841476_thumb.jpg

post-322-13585986895993_thumb.jpg

post-322-13585986897035_thumb.jpg

post-322-13585986899455_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the bio Dave, it's always nice to know a little more about the friends we meet here. Indeed this is a very different type of forum and one of the few that I visit. Regrets that I can't make it to Iowa this year, but I'll definitely be saving for next (( next year I can get seniour discounts EVERYWHERE!! ))

Good post Dave. Love reading about the journey we all make to get to the point we are now (if that makes sense). My husband and I are seriously thinking of making it to the next USA meet. I want to visit a glass supplier in Michigan so will try and schedule it around the Iowa camp - looking at the map it is 'just around the corner' ;) Will have to seriously start saving though.

Good post Dave. Love reading about the journey we all make to get to the point we are now (if that makes sense). My husband and I are seriously thinking of making it to the next USA meet. I want to visit a glass supplier in Michigan so will try and schedule it around the Iowa camp - looking at the map it is 'just around the corner' ;) Will have to seriously start saving though.

Rosemary, it would be a dream come true for all of us if you could attend next year. I'm going to talk to Becky and Gigi about next year, next week in Ackley.

Rosemary, if you make it all the way to Michigan from SA, Iowa is just a stone's throw away...or you could always just come to Minnesota....huskies and all!!!

I thought perhaps I'd re-introduce myself. Not that I need to, but to give some of those who may not know me as well as others, some insight into what makes this Husky-Owner tick."

Thanks for the re-intro. I am more looking forward to this Iowa trip than I remember looking forward to Disney with my kids years ago. When I first came to HO, the lady from Iowa (Gigi) sent me a personal greeting and I found that I had studied in school what she is now studying, I was in awe of her pack, and she just seemed like someone I"ve known before. I have met one other person on another forum nearly 1 7 years ago, and we are still friends, have vacationed together and share many a personal moment.

My huskies have become my family, and they are all so much more than just dogs. I read your story about Elke, and think I posted it somewhere else, but was chuckling out loud and crying at the end. I know the feeling about the first husky...my Stormy girl was my introduction. I just hope that I'm never too old to have a husky, and figure as I get older and older I will just adopt seniors that need calm companionship! There's always a husky that needs a home or some help.

So looking forward to Iowa, again....only 4 days away!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::grouphug::omg::huskyfall::camping: