Sad state of affairs

James

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/268941-130-rise-in-stray-dogs-put-down-by-local-authorities/

I read this today, I couldn't even comprehend the number of dogs in shelters :(

The 2011 annual Stray Dogs Survey revealed the UK’s stray and abandoned dog numbers are at an 11-year high with over 126,176 dogs being picked up by councils across the UK over the last 12 months.

this is the part that really got to me.

I think its a good article though to help spread awareness of the dire situation shelters are in.

poor dogs :(

Seems to me that when the economy gets tough and money don`t go as far as it did then the dog is the first to go, I have said this before, all dogs should be chipped and licensed, if you want a dog you should be committed to looking after it and not throw it away when times get tough :arghh:

I find this very sad. Some of you may have read that my wee black mongrel Gem was rescued in her last 30 seconds of life( yes literaly) I was at vet with a rabbit and the dog warden was in with her at lunchtime surgery -when it'e quieter, to have her put to sleep as no-one wanted her. she was 7/8 months old and one of the waggiest friendly dogs I have ever met. I ended up taking her home 8 years ago and she has totally lived up to her name.

Recently when chatting to the vet I was told that it is no longer council policy to destroy unwanted dogs, but after reading the article it seems that rescues and pounds simply have no choice. They have run out of options for some of these poor dogs. Yet the BYB continue to churn puppies out at every opportunity.

I don't have any answers just feel so saddened by the news.

I find this very sad. Some of you may have read that my wee black mongrel Gem was rescued in her last 30 seconds of life( yes literaly) I was at vet with a rabbit and the dog warden was in with her at lunchtime surgery -when it'e quieter, to have her put to sleep as no-one wanted her. she was 7/8 months old and one of the waggiest friendly dogs I have ever met. I ended up taking her home 8 years ago and she has totally lived up to her name.

Recently when chatting to the vet I was told that it is no longer council policy to destroy unwanted dogs, but after reading the article it seems that rescues and pounds simply have no choice. They have run out of options for some of these poor dogs. Yet the BYB continue to churn puppies out at every opportunity.

I don't have any answers just feel so saddened by the news.

Indeed, They should make breeders have a license to breed or something, if found breeding with said license incurrs a heft fine or something.

Also they should have a contract when you want to own a dog, if you get one and then want to get rid of it without VERY good reason then you again incur a heft fine, Though this may undoublty end up with people kiling there own dogs or something horrible.

Northern Rock is now writing to its customers who are at risk of or are not paying their mortgages telling them to cancel their gym memberships or stop going out for meals and prioritise their mortgate. I wonder how many of these will forego their family pet instead.