Best leads?...

Guest Nush&Koda

Guest Nush&Koda

Just wondering what everyone uses as a lead and what you all think is the best.

Nush and Koda are now 9 months...

We started them with harness and extender leads, then changed to leather slip leads (that are ex-police issue, thanks to my retired policeman father).... Koda is a nightmare for pulling, so we are using halti's to try and control that, but we would like them to have a bit more freedom and go exploring, but Koda is getting so strong so worried about leads breaking etc....

Luckily we have a large enclosed garden available for them to run around and chase each other and go wild, but on walks they are limited a little at the moment.

Any ideas/input/advice... would be great!

Thanks

i use double ended leads for mine off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Style-double-ended-training-dog-lead-strong-/280692122187?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item870cb5b1b8

for runs round the feild i use 100ft leads http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rogersrugs1955/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

i use a flexi with my girl for one on one walks as she doesnt pull but dont/cant use it with my boy

Guest Nush&Koda

i use double ended leads for mine off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Style-double-ended-training-dog-lead-strong-/280692122187?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item870cb5b1b8

for runs round the feild i use 100ft leads http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/rogersrugs1955/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

i use a flexi with my girl for one on one walks as she doesnt pull but dont/cant use it with my boy

thanks for the link, will give them a try

Just looked on ebay for the first link. How does this work exactly, is it like a horse's rein?

i use the Rok strap leads

they have a short hand loop attached at the bottom for keeping them close.......crossing roads,meeting dogs etc

and then the full outstretched lead is elasticated with inbuilt shock-absorber,they are fab.

i have ligament damage in my shoulders and you do not feel any pull at all

i use the Rok strap leads

they have a short hand loop attached at the bottom for keeping them close.......crossing roads,meeting dogs etc

and then the full outstretched lead is elasticated with inbuilt shock-absorber,they are fab.

i have ligament damage in my shoulders and you do not feel any pull at all

where do you get these from :o sounds amazing lol do you struggle to pull them in though if they do go for anything ie a squirrel lol

With Millie (who pulls constantly) I always used a 5m flexi lead and never had any problems with it breaking ect. Also had a 3 peaks short lead for if we were walking around a lot of roads.

With Little Nel I use leads made by Sid on here which are really good quality and soft on your hands

When looking at how tough/safe a leash is look at the clasp - die cast chrome clasps can break easily under shock loading. I only ever use leather leashes with solid brass clasps :)

This is good advice the clasp is the main thing after Akia braking one prob read my thread. I am in the process of ordering one with Sid so I can fix carabiners each end there will be no chance of them breaking.

I do have a flexi lead but after the other day worried about it breaking. I am changing all my leads. We need so many leads for diffident types of walks.....lol.

Also use 100ft in fields but hubby is changing the clasp for me.

Just looked on ebay for the first link. How does this work exactly, is it like a horse's rein?

the double ended lead - basically you can either have it linked to both a harness and collar - like i do for blaze cuz he can slip collars n break harnesses lol

or with skyla i use it n just use the clips to change the lenth

the double ended lead - basically you can either have it linked to both a harness and collar - like i do for blaze cuz he can slip collars n break harnesses lol

or with skyla i use it n just use the clips to change the lenth

Thanks for the reply; any suggestions for a decent harness for a growing pup, or should I begin a new thread for that?

Thanks for the reply; any suggestions for a decent harness for a growing pup, or should I begin a new thread for that?

@Sid_Wolf can make harnesses - she can make them very adjustable so it should last u AGES - erm she has a sale thread in the for sale section i think - ive tagged her in this thread tho so she will see it - they are well made and not expensive either :)

@Sid_Wolf can make harnesses - she can make them very adjustable so it should last u AGES - erm she has a sale thread in the for sale section i think - ive tagged her in this thread tho so she will see it - they are well made and not expensive either :)

oooooooooh! Many thanks; pet shops don't seem to cater for Huskies very well, and already Molly has outgrown her first one from 'Pets@....' I would be delighted to buy one from someone who understands this breed.

I don't have much knowledge of dogs per se, but I also keep linnies (Lineolated parakeets) and my breeder makes toys of high quality for them that she also sells on a well - known site, so I am at least aware that there will be folk out there on this forum that know their stuff. ;)