Poop Issues

Sheri

I got my dog about three weeks ago. I knew that when she was brought home that her poop would be runny due to adjusting to her new home and environment. Then I talked to the breeder I got her from and she said that she should have solid poop by now. I went to the vet and she is on her third set of medicine to help her digestion system and make her poop more solid. She also had us change her food to i/d. She still have runny poop! I was wondering if any of you knew of anything that could help her? I also tried 100% pure pumpkin and that didn't even work!!! Please help!!!:)

Is she a puppy? One of the more common reason for puppies having runny poo is over-feeding. Huskies don't need as much food as other breeds so decreasing the amount you feed her might help. Other things that could help include feeding plain rice, raw chicken wings and other raw food.

Has she been wormed?

When I bought Kara home at 7 weeks old. The stress upset her tum for at least a week. I did the overfeeding thing, then looked at the guide on the bag, which also didnt help, then read a thread on here somewhere. So cut down her food to about 100 gms 3 times a day. She couldnt take 4 meals. Once her tum had settled a bit we wormed her and havent really looked back since.

Has she been wormed?

When I bought Kara home at 7 weeks old. The stress upset her tum for at least a week. I did the overfeeding thing, then looked at the guide on the bag, which also didnt help, then read a thread on here somewhere. So cut down her food to about 100 gms 3 times a day. She couldnt take 4 meals. Once her tum had settled a bit we wormed her and havent really looked back since.

We took in a poop sample and they said it was fine.

Is she a puppy? One of the more common reason for puppies having runny poo is over-feeding. Huskies don't need as much food as other breeds so decreasing the amount you feed her might help. Other things that could help include feeding plain rice, raw chicken wings and other raw food.

yeah she is a puppy. I was only giving her one cup twice a day and then the vet said to increase to 1 and 1/2 cups of this new stuff gradually.

yeah she is a puppy. I was only giving her one cup twice a day and then the vet said to increase to 1 and 1/2 cups of this new stuff gradually.

My dog is half GSD and is almost 11 months old and I feed her 1 cup twice a day too, and she doesn't tend to eat it all, so I would say that amount for a young husky puppy is too much. I'd recomment no more than half a cup three times a day, see if that helps.

Diesels poop is a bit runny atm but i think thats due to him eating gravel, bits of wood and other rubbish he finds (Im also in the process of switching his food). So is she eating anything she shouldnt be? Even a small amount?

well of course she is a puppy lol but I try to monitor eating especially when I am outside with her.

someone asked if she has been dewormed, and you said stool sample was good. but that's a stool test. deworming is when you give them a deworming medicine to kill the naturally occurring parasites in their stomach.

1 1/2 cups twice a day is 3 cups. I dont even feed my boy that much and he is way older than your puppy. how old is she? I'm guessing around the 3 months mark, and if so she should get around 1 cup a day spread out over 3-4 meals. let me restate that. AROUND 1 CUP A DAY.

someone asked if she has been dewormed, and you said stool sample was good. but that's a stool test. deworming is when you give them a deworming medicine to kill the naturally occurring parasites in their stomach.

1 1/2 cups twice a day is 3 cups. I dont even feed my boy that much and he is way older than your puppy. how old is she? I'm guessing around the 3 months mark, and if so she should get around 1 cup a day spread out over 3-4 meals. let me restate that. AROUND 1 CUP A DAY.

That's weird because the vet prescribed her the 1 and 1/2 cups twice a day. When I got her the breeder had given her 3/4 to one cup 3-4 times a day. But thank you for the advice.

That's weird because the vet prescribed her the 1 and 1/2 cups twice a day. When I got her the breeder had given her 3/4 to one cup 3-4 times a day. But thank you for the advice.

I only trust vets so much. sadly, most if not all get it wrong with a husky's nutrition. two important questions

1. what are you feeding? you said i/d but is that dry food or wet food? also, any specific formula?

2. how old is she?

Your Vet is probably not aware that Huskies eat a lot LESS than similar sized dogs.

I would cut the kibble back. She will firm up then gradually increase the kibble each day until you notice the poo going soft.

Then back it up a tad and keep it at that.

RAW chicken wings, uncooked with bones intact are brilliant for drying up the runny poo.

Huskies are notorious for having sensitive stomachs.

Good luck :)

Trooper was well over 4 months when he finally did solid poops as long as she's eating (not over eating) drinking and gaining weight I wouldn't worry to much xxx

♥εїÃ· H εїÃ·â™¥

oh boy! That's a long time.... I hope it doesn't last that long

I only trust vets so much. sadly, most if not all get it wrong with a husky's nutrition. two important questions

1. what are you feeding? you said i/d but is that dry food or wet food? also, any specific formula?

2. how old is she?

She is twelve weeks old and the i/d is dry food and is says its for gastrointestinal health

Sheri, I may as well get on the band wagon here since you're having problems seeing (I think) what has become obvious to us with Huskies.

I'm lucky in that mine can eat anything and not get upset, I also have two mix breed year old puppies and Misty probably eats half of what either of them eats. They were bred to be working dogs who were long on work and short on food - you can't get a fat dog to run all day pulling a sled, doesn't happen.

As the others have suggested cut WAY back on what you're feeding her, feed her three - four times a day (she's still a puppy!) and if she eats it all increase it a bit with the next days meals.

I free feed so I can't say exactly what Misty eats, I know she eats a mouthful or two when she wants - then the male pup comes in and wipes out the food bowl (daddy was at least part Rottie and he's *still* growing!)

Also, relax, your nervousness may be leaking though to her ....

What food were you originally feeding her? How much they need depends to a great extent on the composition of the food. If it is one that has a lot of plant-based ingredients such as grains in it, they will need more food than if it is based on good quality meats. Ideally, you want the first ingredient to be a meat that is specified - such as fish, chicken or lamb, OR a meat meal (chicken meal, lamb meal). Of the first 3 ingredients, I would like to see at least two of them be meat/meat meal, preferably the first 2 ingredients - chicken meal, chicken... Many Huskies do better on food which is grain free, although some grains are better or worse nutritionally than others. Brewers rice, corn, wheat, and soy seem to be the grains that cause the most problem with this type of dog.