Hello from the PNW - Adopted/Rescued a 6yr old male.

Husky42

Good evening folks!

I'm a proud new trainee (the dog is training me you see) of a 6 yr old Husky named Kody.

I adopted him as he was unfortunately destined for euthanization if the family could not find a home. It was really not up to the owner but from my understanding more his inlaws rather than anything.

Story is, Kody (who is incredible by the way) was playing in the yard with 4 other dogs over a ball and the owners two year old daughter went out to the dogs and pulled on his tail, being a dog he did what a dog playing with other dogs might do when pulled on the tail, he bit her. My understanding is it was not an "attack" but an accident and he knew immediately that he had made a mistake. The damage had been done however and due to family pressures the dog was on his way to, well he's alive now that is what counts.

Through a set of fortunate circumstance I was able to adopt Kody before he was taken to the shelter/vet.

I once when i was young had a wonderful Husky (i was about 8 or 9 years old at the time so it was my parents dog) one day he escaped being the escape artist they are and made it to the neighbors who had sheep. Instinct took over and the owner caught him in the act, not realizing it was our pet he shot and killed him :(

I've always wanted to bring a husky into my home, I had a chance to save Kody and I took it.

Here is a photo of Kody and my Cat on Day 1 of introduction :) Still some Alpha checking going on by my cat (Kody is more scared of the cat then cat scared of Kody) but for the most part they are comfortable walking right next to each other. (I've had Kody since Sunday afternoon)

Anyways, i absolutely adore Kody, h'es already been a big bright light in my life and we went on a 3 mile walk today that was just wonderful. He is the best walking partner I could ask for and he's immediately become a member of our family.

I'd also like to add this, please do not say anything negative about the previous owners... They loved Kody as much as any person who truly cares about their pet does. This was evident in their willingness to not only give me a pure bred Husky, but they also paid for his shot updates, brought him a big brand new bag of dog food, his blankets, leash collar and two brand new bags of dog snacks. The owner was in tears when he left and had a hard time leaving, his father was there and was visably upset over losing this family member, his mother emailed me and informed me she was in tears but was happy that we were able to give Kody his forever home. They loved and cared for him and deserve respect, it was hard on them. Unfortunately many people would take one look at the incident (the first and only in his entire 6 years thus far) and say he's not fit. Its a shame because he's truly become a great friend to me in just two days.

I forgot to mention, he is not fixed and is of course purebred and papered. I'm pretty sure it would be smart for me to get him fixed asap.

post-5950-1358598954666_thumb.jpg

post-5950-13585989548421_thumb.jpg

post-5950-1358598954964_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the BEST husky forum in the WORLD !!!

Great story, well done for taking him on.

We all look forward to hearing how he takes over your world :up:

along with accompanying :click: of course :)

Thank you everybody, he is a great boy and we already love him very much. My cat maybe not so much but he's coping well enough. Man even at 6 this boy has a LOT of energy. Went for a few miles today and I think I have to walk for 4 miles tomorrow just to make sure he gets enough! I remember this from my parents first husky when I was young though, so I was well aware of the energy requirement before going into this :-)

I need to find a suitable snack replacement, his owners fed him jelly beans (not all the time they said but still) I'd like to find a semi-sweet healthy alternative, since he already has a sweet tooth i'm ok with semi-sweet dog treat just nothing excessive (think not letting children have too many unnatural sweets)

He loves rides and new places which is great because I love to go on day trips but never go because i'm always alone (family members do not find them fun) Kody/Kodi however does, which means I'm once again back to my exploring ways.

Love him so much already and its only been 4 days :-)

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for husky owning's.

I'm always excited about new members ya see...

Nothing get's my blood stirring like wrongful punishment... Especially to a dog and I could go on for hours bitching about it but I'm sure we all feel the same so I'll spare you. Glad you saved him, he really is a darling and doesn't deserve what was upon him... Also, he seems to be getting along with the cat quite nicely for a husky!! The one in my avatar turned wolf when she saw a cat...

My heart goes out to the family that lost him, it's too bad they couldn't just lose their in-laws? I'm have them put-down or put them in a shelter, I'm sure they've done bad things before knowingly and on purpose rather than accident...

Oh, and insert humorous remark about why in-laws suck here.

Trey.

Brooklyn, for sure! I would love for nothing more then to him to find some playmates of the same breed.

A little progress on the cat vs dog or dog vs cat situation (however you want to look at it) :)

Also, he is quite amazing off lead, though from what I'm reading maybe I should not trust him off as much as I am (obviously on leash when on public trails) but when on private land i walk him off lead.

post-5950-13585989861901_thumb.jpg