Hello from the PNW - Adopted/Rescued a 6yr old male.

Husky42

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOT another PNW husky lover haha welcome to the pack stunning boy! I'm so glad the family was so understanding and was willing to give their boy a chance at life with you it really speaks to their character and understanding of their dog. Since you live in Seattle I would highly recommend going to Mud Bay if you are anywhere near it I love it lol they have so much fun stuff and they are a hollistic store so big bonus points haha but seriously I get alot of long lasting stuff from them and with the way Kiana and Diesel rip things to shreds it's a god send lol.

Greeting from Texas and glad you could come join our family!!!

It stinks that the in-laws couldn't see the accident ... dogs are dogs and sometimes they do doggy things without thinking - not like we humans ever do things like that! So my congratulations for taking on this 'dangerous' animal!!

Since no one else had, I guess they were just waiting for me, would you mind heading on over to the member map http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/ and pasting yourself over there. Since we're from pretty much all over the world, it helps sometimes to be able to check and see where people are from - and I didn't snap to "Pacific NorthWest" till you said so ...

//al

Greeting from Texas and glad you could come join our family!!!

It stinks that the in-laws couldn't see the accident ... dogs are dogs and sometimes they do doggy things without thinking - not like we humans ever do things like that! So my congratulations for taking on this 'dangerous' animal!!

Since no one else had, I guess they were just waiting for me, would you mind heading on over to the member map http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/ and pasting yourself over there. Since we're from pretty much all over the world, it helps sometimes to be able to check and see where people are from - and I didn't snap to "Pacific NorthWest" till you said so ...

//al

LOL, we know you will, Al!

Glad to see he gets on OK with your cat- but keep an eye on him just in case.

Yes, I watch his behavior very intently, knowing that he is still technically settling in and may at any time show agression towards the cat. That said, the female cat saw him, freaked and went running, he got scared and hid behind me when i expected him to chase. Poor guy just has a light sense of concern in the cats but is more guarded in regards to his own safety over the though of pursuit.

Is this a normal trait and not indicative of his potential prey drive? (he likes possums and will chase those however)

Yes, I watch his behavior very intently, knowing that he is still technically settling in and may at any time show agression towards the cat. That said, the female cat saw him, freaked and went running, he got scared and hid behind me when i expected him to chase. Poor guy just has a light sense of concern in the cats but is more guarded in regards to his own safety over the though of pursuit.

Is this a normal trait and not indicative of his potential prey drive? (he likes possums and will chase those however)

He possibly has had a bad experience with cats before if he is fearful, but no, it is not a normal behavior.

Just the same, he might act a little different after he settles in. But it is a good sign that he starts off this way.

It's amusing.. my cat wont let him go down stairs sometimes when i go down there now (as kody is in your pocket he likes to be with me at all times) Poor guy gets really frustrated but will not cross the cats path, he even whimpers/whines if i try and encourage him to run past.. I like that he is not agressive towards that cat, but this fear is a bit much for a dog! :P :P Hopefully he snaps out of it, I can live with it of course.. but my cat is very "dominating" and I'm starting to think he see's this as quite the fun game.

It's amusing.. my cat wont let him go down stairs sometimes when i go down there now (as kody is in your pocket he likes to be with me at all times) Poor guy gets really frustrated but will not cross the cats path, he even whimpers/whines if i try and encourage him to run past.. I like that he is not agressive towards that cat, but this fear is a bit much for a dog! :P :p Hopefully he snaps out of it, I can live with it of course.. but my cat is very "dominating" and I'm starting to think he see's this as quite the fun game.

My girl friend had a cat and a kitten < of ??? age > Misty wouldn't bother the cat - she spit a few times and that was the end of that. The kitten, on the other hand, would come out and play with Misty's tail, Misty'd take a swat at him (an obvious not serious swat) the kitten'd run off and then come back for more.

When momma had these kittens, and the kittens were maybe 3 - 4 weeks old <??> Misty grabbed one - and both Brenda and I thought "oops, dead kitten" - then set it down on the floor and just looked at it ... no harm done except to our nerves.

I wouldn't trust Misty if I weren't there, she likes to hunt too much - but on the other hand, I've seen her be as gentle as could be ....