Hello - New to forum - currently owned by 'Shinobi'

InterSimi

Hi,

I am new, so thought my first posting should be here.

I am the proud owner of a 13 month Siberian Husky (obviously), living in Bracknell, Berkshire. We adopted 'Shinobi' from Battersea a couple of month ago, whilst he was aged 11 months. He is a white/off white male.

The adoption process was rather quite quick and within a couple of weeks, Shinobi was home with us. The first week he was very inquisitive and managed to jump our 6 foot fence twice, luckily in to our neighbours enclosed garden! He has since gotten used to us and the house, but is rather "playful" with his mouth, and being a young male and quite large, his jaws are quite powerful. The kids and my wife are a little wary of him, as he does dominate them from time to time, but we hope to have one on one training soon, which should help.

Something we have resorted in doing, is putting one of the cloth muzzles on him, straight after he play bites. we leave this on him for about 5 minutes, until he is quietened down (which is instantly). We only need to show it to him now, and he knows that he is pushing his luck.

Walking him started off quite tough, as he used to pull constantly. We have since bought a Halti, which although he tried to get it off occasionally, works well in keeping him under control. This works so well, that both my wife and 15 year old son can walk him. we walk him approximately 3 Km in the morning and then a further 6 Km in the evening. Weekends are different, because we wish to have a lay in, so walk him between 10 and 15Km in a single sitting around lunchtime.

I love those moments, when he has been playing in the garden and then comes in and jumps on the settee (with our permission) and just flops down on your lap. He can be such a cuddly thing at times.

I should also mention that we have 4 cats. 2 adults and 2 kittens. We were told by Battersea that he was cat friendly, however, it is taking quite a lot of time to get them used to one another. We crate Shinobi when we are out and at night and have started leaving the front room door open, so the cats can nose around the crate and they can get used to each other. I also use a lead to attach him to the outside of his crate and let the cats wander, whist keeping a close eye on Shinobi. we are getting there, but lots more work is needed.

We are looking at getting one of these dog powered scooters for the winter months, so I can take him on longer runs, but for the same amount of time. I love watching him run, but can't really let him off the lead (as you no doubt all know!!).

So that is us in a nutshell. If anyone is from Berkshire and wishes to meet up, let me know. We tend to walk all around Bracknell and Windsor Great Park at weekends.

post-5952-13585989640513_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like you've made a good start in looking after Shinobi. :)

Halti's are a superb training tool, but they need to be used in conjunction with loose lead training.

So that you can eventually take him off the Halti altogether.

(It took a year with my 3, but is soooooo worth it. I can now walk ALL 3 of my pooches in one hand.)

More Pics.

and in case you haven't noticed we have a National meet in about 3 weeks time.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/october-camp-2011-details.23713/

Why don't you join us ????

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Mike, would be great to meet up occasionally, I do tend to be drawn to other Sibe owners when out walking...I love the way they play together!

There are a few owners who live in Bracknell. I think we have met about 7 sibes in the 2 short months we have had Shinobi.

We have had dogs for the last 16 years, mainly Collie/Collie crosses, but after losing both our collies in the space of 3 months (Cancer and Brain Issue) , we decided on a Sibe (my favourite breed)

I do walk him without the halti occasionally, and am waiting to see what the one on one training teaches us first. The trainer is called Diane Martin and seems very nice on the phone.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join the meet, this year as we don't have a tent or a caravan (currently). Maybe next year

I do walk him without the halti occasionally, and am waiting to see what the one on one training teaches us first. The trainer is called Diane Martin and seems very nice on the phone.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join the meet, this year as we don't have a tent or a caravan (currently). Maybe next year

There may be a few people with "Spare" tents. . .if you REALLY wanna go ask :)

Otherwise definately next Spring in Abergele, Wales.

(LMAO I'm still geeking out over the Stormtrooper pic. . . :yahoo:)